Exclusive Doom is now 500 edition size

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Re

I do agree with what you're saying, Frankenfan. It's just that they aren't taking your money then raising the piece count. At least you have a long time to change your mind. You can cancel the thing after you've received it. At least you have an option and a way to voice your opinion or disgust.

I think its cool they are even talking about doing something for the 300 orders. So much they could have a COA with Pablo's actual sig on there (the base with that actual sig would probley cost them to much money), a coupon for 40% your next order would be outstanding:lol if that happened Legend Bust here I come!

frankly, I'm just glad to be getting the exclusive in this case. it is a nice gesture theya re making though since upping the edition size. I just hope it's something worthwhile. They could send me a 1/6 slayers scythe :)

Well I've tried, and tried, and I just can't get worked up about
the edition size being upped by only 200 to 500, instead of 300.

Still a small edition size, still a good looking statue.

Drake is limited to only 200 pieces, and is still available. You just
never know what the demand for a piece may be. :dunno

If they upped it over 1000, maybe I'd be worked up, but really,
this is no big deal to me. I have one coming, am happy, end 'o story.

JS :wave

I'm completely and totally surprised by this reaction to SSC allowing a few additional people get a very cool piece. Everyone complains about the TBD edition, which is what they should have done here. But setting it and then raising it a couple of hundred is hardly "bait & switch" or any other kind of misleading practice.

I missed this exclusive because I was at SDCC and never even considered that it would sell out quickly.

So if you're SSC which is better - a couple of disgruntled people who care about edition size, or 200 happy customers who were able to get the exclusive?

200 more isn't that much of a difference? The edition size was increased over 60% from what was stated when I preordered. Still I'm not real upset about it. I just wish a system had been in place to handle the orders better. Something as simple as how the non attending exclusives were handled? Set number available for purchase (either online or on the floor). Once those had been sold just sell the regular version.

Pretty simple plan.

I might just cancel the exclusive and see if another online source has the regular version for cheaper. Heck I dont need a chalice that bad.

Shawn

I've never understood the importance of edition size really. Is Sauron less cool because there are 9500 of him?

And please everyone who doesn't like the edition size increase - I encourage you to cancel your orders - PLEASE! (so I can get one from the wait list).

How about if the Balrog was 3000? Would it still command the same type of prices? I dont know.

The reason why edition sizes are important is that these items are billed as high end exclusive collectibles. The exclusive tag seems to be debatable at the moment...

At an ES of 300 I could justify spending the $325 asking price. When that edition size was increased over 60%. I start to debate if its worth my $325 to get it. Or do I go elsewhere and buy the regular edition from another source and maybe save 50-75 dollars?

One way or the other I'm still getting Dr. Doom. He's a most have for me. I just dont know if SS will get my money directly or not is all.

Shawn

Dave, edition size is not that important to me either, BUT, changing details about a product AFTER it has sold out, I don't agree with. Chris explained early this morning in chat that it was due to taking paper orders on the floor and over selling, as has been stated previously. Ok, I understand that mistakes happen, and told Chris that. I can forgive that and I wouldn't have been upset if they had just told us that up front; instead, all we got was the high demand explanation. That is what angered many of us. They could have just sold the regular version (which, by the way, is a TBD edition size) to the "increased demand" crowd. I personally think if they had just stated the real reason, most would have had no problem with it. Believe me, I truly am glad that more people are able to get it who want to, but as someone else stated, they could have gotten the regular Doom. Do they want the Doom figure or the exclusive accessory? Or do they want the exclusive Doom because they know it will be hot and they can sell it and make a killing? My exclusive Doom isn't going anywhere after it arrives to me, but I would be willing to bet at least 200 :lol end up on eBay! I do appauld Sideshow for trying to correct a mistake; I just think it could have been handled a little better.

Well, it may be just as silly as caring so much about the edition size, but I won't buy it if I can't get the exclusive. It's like a piece would be missing or something....:rolleyes

I guess we all have our pecadillos.:bang2

Absolutely! I want the exclusives for the same reason (to the chagrin of Adam :lol ). I am willing to accept a regular version if I can't get the exclusive in most cases, because I truly love the products, but I can understand you point of view.

And to address the issue of us complaining, as many have said over in the LOTR forum, if we don't let Sideshow know how we feel on issues like this, then they won't be able to take action or make the best decisions in the future. I, personally, am not an extremist, and would never sell my collection or boycott Sideshow (or any other company) because of an issue like this, nor do I think it appropriate for some to suggest that if we are not happy, then just don't buy it. That is not the solution, and does not "tell" Sideshow what the true problem is; the only way to handle an issue like this, is to let them know there is a problem (in a polite, orderly way, mind you) and to voice our concerns. I trust Sideshow as a company that cares for its customers, and think they do listen to what we have to say, and it would appear that they have listened to us on this matter. I am sure they will take precautions to not over-sell a product in the future and be forced to increase an edition size once sold-out. I think both Sideshow and its customers both learned something because of this issue, and both came out winners in the end.

ES is important to me, because I tend to sell many of my pieces if something better comes along later to take their place.

For example, I bought the Gentle Giant Dewback for $200, and while it's a nice piece, it's now worth over $400. If it gets to the $600-$700 range, I'll probably cash in and get several SW 1/4's. I don't like it enough to keep it for that kind of money. I mean, at that price I could nearly pay for the SS Predator that I have coming, which is cool.

There are cases where I would NEVER sell a piece, such as Sideshow Grievous Exclusive 1/4, and I don't care what the ES on him is. Doom looks so amazing that I don't think anyone will want to sell him that has not bought one to scalp. It's not a huge deal, but I wish that Sideshow would keep to an ES once it's posted. They should have directed customers to the regular edition if they wanted one so badly.

lcummins' posts have eloquently summarized the situation for me. It's amazing how quickly a SNAFU can achieve FUBAR status. :)

But, Dave, I must respectfully disagree with you that raising an ES to meet unexpected demand is no big whoop. I realize in this case there are extenuating circumstances but, what happens when the next hot exclusive quickly sells out? And the one after that? Should the ES always be increased to accommodate those who miss out?

And to address the issue of us complaining, as many have said over in the LOTR forum, if we don't let Sideshow know how we feel on issues like this, then they won't be able to take action or make the best decisions in the future. I, personally, am not an extremist, and would never sell my collection or boycott Sideshow (or any other company) because of an issue like this, nor do I think it appropriate for some to suggest that if we are not happy, then just don't buy it. That is not the solution, and does not "tell" Sideshow what the true problem is; the only way to handle an issue like this, is to let them know there is a problem (in a polite, orderly way, mind you) and to voice our concerns. I trust Sideshow as a company that cares for its customers, and think they do listen to what we have to say, and it would appear that they have listened to us on this matter. I am sure they will take precautions to not over-sell a product in the future and be forced to increase an edition size once sold-out. I think both Sideshow and its customers both learned something because of this issue, and both came out winners in the end.

Well said lcummins.

I must admit, I looked on some other forums yesterday and was absolutely shocked at the extent of what some people were saying in response to this. I can't believe there are actually people coming up with conspiracy theories and think SS did this on purpose and that they don't care about their customers. Completely absurd. Sure this was an unfortunate incident and I'm sure SS didn't want it to happen the way it did any more than us, but they did and are stepping up to the plate. You know, it would have been very easy for them just to say the ES was a typo and left it at that, but they admitted the problem and explained their actions well.

And to the point of caring for their customers. How many companies at SDCC maintained a live chat with their customers the entire weekend and filled that chat with very educational and entertaining discussions with their employees, designers, sculptors, and everyone else involved with their products. I can't thank SS for everything that I learned this weekend, really answering a lot of questions for me and has even increased my interest in SS. Now for the icing on the cake, they piled on great giveaways to top everything else.

Can't think of any other companies who did this? Didn't think so.

Thanks SS for the spectacular weekend, and all the great products you have brought us.

Well, the one thing this incident has insured - no product will EVER go up for pre-order with a set edition size. "TBD" from now on!

You are probably right about that, and I personally don't have a problem with it, although some will. I do have a problem however, with not "determining" the edition size before the product ships; I had no clue about the original Lawgiver statue edition size until I held it in my hands because the product page still said TBD. That was a perfect example of "I don't care about edition size, I just like the product", but people should know the edition size before shipping because some will care and cancel! I realize Chris is very busy and don't blame him in the least for that and hope now that they have gotten him help, that product pages will be updated in a more timely manner. Chris, we really do appreciate everything you do! :toast

Well, the one thing this incident has insured - no product will EVER go up for pre-order with a set edition size. "TBD" from now on!

Hmmm well I have to disagree with this one, it was a mistake and mistakes happen. But that doesnt mean from now on TBD on everything should happen, I mean your shelling out some bucks for this stuff.

Back