EU Wharehouse closing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tarif code doesn´t means anything for customs, they apply the code they want to.

Last news from Spanish annoying customs

They apply

Fedex Fee 15EUR
VAT 16%
Customs Fee 6,5%

so Legolas Pf is more expensive by 25EUR, they don´t apply a fix rule for all the same statues, they apply juast want they want to, they need money so now 16%VAT instead 7% and customs fee.

The Fedex girl i spoke to says Sideshow Collectibles are not pieces of art because they are made of plastic.

Maybe for Canada but you get hit with V.A.T on replacement goods into the UK. The delivery company might give you a discount , but customs won't.

That sucks :monkey4. Yeah for Canada replacement parts don't get charged for taxes/duties or any Fedex fees.

got my bill from fedex for thrawn exclusive 38.65gbp
so thats 253$ + 38.65GBP =201gbp roughly -
forbidden planet price = 195
bearing in mind that sideshow included a gift card as well - not much in it for 1/6 -

Some are going to be close but others are going to be a real kick in the klackers. My worry is of having to send stuff back.
Hulk bust on Forbidden Planet is £399 [at the moment] strong chance of going up nearer shipping time.
Sideshow is £310 plus £25 shipping then £60 vat plus the Fedex charges, give or take a few pounds its going to be close plus Sideshow give you the gift card but if theres a problem and it goes back for replacement your going to get burnt.

Okay, turns out I got a letter from Fedex: € 26 for Zombie Punk and € 36 for Alien Big Chap! :(

Adios sideshow... :(
It figures. I've made an excel sheet some time ago, which only requires to fill in shipping costs and item cost in order to get a very close estimate of the total extra costs (tax, duty, FedEx handling fee) and subsequently, the grand total. I had a very good idea of how much more I was going to be charged. Made it so much easier to cancel orders.

The problem will also arrise when/if you have to send back a damaged statue as you'll get hit for tax/duty all over again.
Put a fork in me i'm done.

Maybe for Canada but you get hit with V.A.T on replacement goods into the UK. The delivery company might give you a discount , but customs won't.

Some are going to be close but others are going to be a real kick in the klackers. My worry is of having to send stuff back.
Hulk bust on Forbidden Planet is £399 [at the moment] strong chance of going up nearer shipping time.
Sideshow is £310 plus £25 shipping then £60 vat plus the Fedex charges, give or take a few pounds its going to be close plus Sideshow give you the gift card but if theres a problem and it goes back for replacement your going to get burnt.

What makes you think that? Did you ever have to send a broken statue back to Sideshow? If an order arrives broken, SSC usually makes you destroy it, and they send you a new one. Should come without additional costs. I never had to pay additional tax, duty or shipping for replacement items that came from Sideshow, and those always came straight from the US with FedEx (so NOT thought the EU warehouse). I'm going to miss that.

As for the reward points, the way I see it, neither the reward points, nor the gift cards could make up for the massive extra costs and the way this whole affair was handled. By now it should be clear that SSC's new policy has lead to crucial changes for many European SSC collectors, yet on their EU site they continue to list 'benefits' which in my eyes cannot make up for the financial drawback.

Another worry is combined shipping, which apparently will become a thing of the past too. Shipping has become cheaper in some cases, but, I wonder, has anybody had the luck of getting their items combined lately? I've asked about it a couple of times, and it seems there is a new policy that forbids it. Strange. Result: again, extra costs. At least for those that continue to order straight from SSC.

Last edited:
What makes you think that? Did you ever have to send a broken statue back to Sideshow? If an order arrives broken, SSC usually makes you destroy it, and they send you a new one. Should come without additional costs. I never had to pay additional tax, duty or shipping for replacement items that came from Sideshow, and those always came straight from the US with FedEx (so NOT thought the EU warehouse). I'm going to miss that.

Customs will still charge vat regardless if its a replacement or not although some do get through - yours obviously slipped the net :D
If they didnt charge everyone would just put 'replacement goods' and insure to full value instead of running the low value gift approach.
Time will tell, I haven't tried it with Fedex but UPS recharged me and so did Parcelforce. There is a way of making a claim to regain replacement costs so UPS informed me when I complained but after speaking to automated customs lines I gave up.

Unless I've missed it, I still haven't seen any discussion of the biggest downfall of the new system for EU buyers, and that's the subject of refunds (as opposed to replacements).

Sideshow briefly say on their website:
"Sideshow will refund the product price and you can seek a refund of your VAT from your customs office by completing the necessary refund paperwork and presenting the original receipt from FedEx for the customs fees. Please not that you will not be reimbursed the initial shipping fee that Sideshow charged or the Advancement Service fee paid to FedEx."

But that makes it sound simpler than it actually is. In the UK, HM Customs are notoriously reluctant to hand back VAT and duties, and you have to provide good evidence why the unit should no longer be subject to VAT. That's not too difficult in the event that you return the item to the US, because you can provide evidence of re-export. BUT if Sideshow request that you destroy the piece - as is usual - you will then need to provide documentary evidence to Customs to prove that the piece was defective and that your payment to the vendor has been rescinded. In order to stake your claim for VAT and Duty reimbursement, you will need to fill out form C-285 (Application for Reimbursement/Remission) along with documentary evidence showing why the item should not be subject to VAT. That will include original shipping waybills, credit card statements (showing the purchase price was refunded) and a written and signed declaration. The damaged piece is also subject to inspection if they choose to pursue the matter (as they might for example with anything costing over $1k). The entire process can take weeks if not months -- and I say this as someone who has had had the misfortune to experience it.

So the upshot of all this is that - because it is SO difficult to reclaim Customs revenues - Sideshow will suffer far fewer refund claims, with most EU customers opting for replacements instead. Good for them, but not so good for us. The moral of all this is: be sure the piece you're buying is a keeper before buying it, because under this new system you really don't want the headache of reclaiming your money from HM Customs.

I gave up trying to get a Vat refund on a guitar imported from the US.
Its never ending automated phonecalls and paperwork, customs are awkward and unfriendly and you know you won't be seeing your cash again.
Bare in mind the prices we pay now is going to go up with the next Vat increase.
I won't risk large items from Sideshow now especially that theres no guarantee of quality, but i'll continue getting the other stuff via US dealers.

Tarif code doesn´t means anything for customs, they apply the code they want to.

Last news from Spanish annoying customs

They apply

Fedex Fee 15EUR
VAT 16%
Customs Fee 6,5%

so Legolas Pf is more expensive by 25EUR, they don´t apply a fix rule for all the same statues, they apply juast want they want to, they need money so now 16%VAT instead 7% and customs fee.

The Fedex girl i spoke to says Sideshow Collectibles are not pieces of art because they are made of plastic.

Final figures.

Legolas PF, 327EUR , before warehouse closing 300EUR roughly
VAT+Customs 74,7 EUR.

Bye bye SS, I canceled Luke Knight and I´m considering Gandalf PF EX, my last order.

When I went to my local FedEx office and spoke to a customer service rep regarding a badly beaten up SSC PF Box, she told me that it is not an issue I should be complaining about because (and I quote her here) "it is just a toy"! :monkey2

Actually, i don't quite understand how Fedex calculate the TVA :

Last week, i received Venom Comiquette : 303.48 USD (total with shipping), i only have to pay 29,6 Euros (i don't remember the details, but 10 euros of Fedex Fee for sure)

Mystique Comiquette : 210.23 USD (total with shipping), i have to pay 40,96 Euros (29 Euros Import tax, 10 Euros Fedex Fee and and another VAT things)

Do you guys think, depends on what Sideshow marked on the shipping notice, it will change the import taxes ?

Or did i just get lucky they miscalculated the Venom Import Tax (which i found nearly impossible since it was machine calculated) ?

One of FedEx's many habits are miscalculations. Which is why one should methodically read through each invoiced when received.

Obviously if the miscalculation is favourable one would not pursue the matter further. However, if the sum is unfavourably incorrect you can contact their finance department to dispute the invoice total.

When I went to my local FedEx office and spoke to a customer service rep regarding a badly beaten up SSC PF Box, she told me that it is not an issue I should be complaining about because (and I quote her here) "it is just a toy"! :monkey2

It helps to laugh at such ignorance.

My new shoppingpolicy too. SS for the ex I really really want. FP for the regulars.

FP for the regulars ? Cant say Forbidden Planet and the words regular, reliable or consistent actually go together, only if it was my last resort would I return to buying from FP

Play.com are slightly better but only slightly

Actually, i don't quite understand how Fedex calculate the TVA :

Last week, i received Venom Comiquette : 303.48 USD (total with shipping), i only have to pay 29,6 Euros (i don't remember the details, but 10 euros of Fedex Fee for sure)

Mystique Comiquette : 210.23 USD (total with shipping), i have to pay 40,96 Euros (29 Euros Import tax, 10 Euros Fedex Fee and and another VAT things)

Do you guys think, depends on what Sideshow marked on the shipping notice, it will change the import taxes ?

Or did i just get lucky they miscalculated the Venom Import Tax (which i found nearly impossible since it was machine calculated) ?

They charge you VAT on the shipping also

Haven't had any problems with FP.com with pre-orders but FB.co.uk are a joke.

Haven't had any problems with FP.com with pre-orders but FB.co.uk are a joke.

strangely i havnt had a problem as long as you preorder as it is available= i have ordered stuff near release date and you will never see it-
play are shocking= awful delivery times and
piss poor packing but good website and good prices

just cancelled my emperor 12" with sideshow as cant justify paying 30£ extra for a spare head!!

I've ordered Punisher through FB.com if I don't get that i'm going to fuming.

One of FedEx's many habits are miscalculations. Which is why one should methodically read through each invoiced when received.

Obviously if the miscalculation is favourable one would not pursue the matter further. However, if the sum is unfavourably incorrect you can contact their finance department to dispute the invoice total.

Well, is it possible to dispute that 10 Euros Fedex Fee :mad: ?

Is FedEx really crap for handling things? I've had two deliveries recently that take ridiculously long granted it's not related to this but it was for hard drives. The packages have been kicked about like something rotten the box nearly falls apart as soon as you touch it. Twice the hard drives were faulty because the amount of knocks bumps it's had on it's journey.

FedEx has been a huge disappointment to me. I hope to god none of my figures arrive like this or I'll be all pissy.

Back