EU buyers banned from buying merchandise from the US?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seems like they would just start taxing internet sales so they get their cut on the sale side.

I'll just write the "accompanying invoice" as a gift.

Had that happen nearly every time I shipped internationally. I even had a Toybiz Peter Jackson Hobbit figure (LOTR fans will know which one I Mean) that I got for 30.00 shipped from Italy (on an american card) that was marked as a gift coming to me.

Customs still cut the package open to check it and cut the hell out of the bubble on a perfect card in the process.

I was mad...the figure was at 75.00 when I went to get another.

Same thing happened to my Aragorn 12" from a board member in Mexico. Customs slit the box, and the package, to hell. I was pissed, but had absolutely no recourse and Ijust had to eat it.

Is it true a new form of legislation has been introduced by the American government banning EU buyers buying from the US through Ebay, Amazon, etc...?

I've never heard a thing about this. Try looking in eBay news. If this is true, it would be on eBay somewhere.

This is an email I got from my local retailer who also happens to be a wholesaler:

We have just been informed by our shippers Geo-Dis Wilson, that with immediate effect the US government will stop all merchandise bought off Ebay, Amazon and other similar sites that are to be shipped out of the USA unless they are accompanied by an invoice and a registered company can be reached. All merchandise that cannot be traced in this way must be sent via "All Cargo Aircraft" leading to packages being grounded, taking longer to arrive and costing more. Furthermore the TSA reserve the right to open all packages for security measures.

IMO, this isn't keeping you from buying things, you just have to have proper paperwork.

I couldn't find anything about this either.

It makes no sense whatsoever given the economy - everybody needs to be able to buy from everybody else.

It doesn't even sound rational to think that such a law would actually be created. I am sure that it is not as bad as all that. I am more likely to believe that there are more restrictions, but not a ban.

We live in a globalized world where national wealth is measured, in part, by our ratio of exports relative to imports. Trade deficits occur when we import more than we export, which is bad for the economy. How the hell would we help ourselves economically by limiting our exports, even if only from EBay sellers? We don't want European money flowing into our country? :confused: Seriously, where is the logic here? And where is a single link to an actual news item? :rolleyes:

If anything, limiting imports might help to decrease our trade dependency, but in practical terms, that is always limited because of the sanctions that would be imposed by the WTO and other states and trade blocs, as well as by the fact that so many U.S. industries rely on cheap material produced elsewhere.

We live in a globalized world where national wealth is measured, in part, by our ratio of exports relative to imports. Trade deficits occur when we import more than we export, which is bad for the economy. How the hell would we help ourselves economically by limiting our exports, even if only from EBay sellers? We don't want European money flowing into our country? :confused: Seriously, where is the logic here? And where is a single link to an actual news item? :rolleyes:

If anything, limiting imports might help to decrease our trade dependency, but in practical terms, that is always limited because of the sanctions that would be imposed by the WTO and other states and trade blocs, as well as by the fact that so many U.S. industries rely on cheap material produced elsewhere.

Yup! Gotta love NAFTA! :mad:

Restricting trade from outside the U.S. doesn't make any sense, they still make the money at the end of the day and it's coming from another countries surplus into yours so increasing the amount of money in the system instead of moving it around one system.

Back