"Essential" Sideshow SW Figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Clone General)

Only one I own. While I love the character, I find the early star wars figures arent of the greatest of quality. Perhaps at their time but yeah, that is the main reason I never icked up older figs. Even know I am only going to focus on the Clone Commanders (maybe)

Stay away from these:
Yavin Luke
Holographic Darth Sidious with Mechno-chair
Aayla Secura
Padme - Ilum Mission
Endor Rebel(s)

I'll add Bespin Han to that list, unless you really love the character.

Otherwise they are all pretty good to excellent. Start your list with your favourite characters and you can't go wrong.

I missed this, but why stay away from the Endor Rebels? Those are very good figures with very good accessories. They aren't iconic by any means, but they are really good figures quality wise.

I missed this, but why stay away from the Endor Rebels? Those are very good figures with very good accessories. They aren't iconic by any means, but they are really good figures quality wise.

They are boring. They were also the first super easy pass in the line at $60 a piece. (Though with today's outrageous 1:6 prices they actually look like a bargain :lol )

SilentSurfer and Small Studios are great painters. Look around the custom section for others.

Hot Toys bodies are the ones most used for upgrading.

Thanks, maybe I'll send a PM and see what they charge, or if they're even available...

Won't a Hot Toys body require modification to the headsculpt?

Mace is pretty awesome in my opinion. He looks great to me, I just love the figures that have all the different layers. It's fun to fold the robes and such to display them the way you want.

The Luke is a pretty awesome sculpt, not much painting, maybe his hair a little. To me he just needs new clothes.

Maybe I'll have to take another look at Mace. I mean, he's definitely a character I would be interested in owning. It's Samuel L. Jackson, after all.

I guess there's always the chance they'll do another one, though. What was that, the Episode I version? I'm sure he didn't look all that different in each movie but probably a little...

They are boring. They were also the first super easy pass in the line at $60 a piece. (Though with today's outrageous 1:6 prices they actually look like a bargain :lol )

at the time I gagged at the price too, but aside from the prometheus vs buck difference the quality of the accesories and outfits are at the same quality of the GI Joe line. They are generic characters compared to most other SW characters, but the figures themselves are actually top notch.

Now a days you can get them for $35-$40 each which is a steal.

DPrime, you may need a little glue, but the Sideshow heads will fit on the HT bodies as long as you make sure the body you are buying comes with the special neck adapter, which most of the packaged nude HT bodies do come with.

I'll add Bespin Han to that list, unless you really love the character.

Otherwise they are all pretty good to excellent. Start your list with your favourite characters and you can't go wrong.

Actually, I disagree. For a small investment in extra parts, he makes the perfect Endor Han. You can pick him up and the parts needed for about the same price he fetched at retail anyway, so why not?

yeah, i ditched the bespin jacket in favor of the trench coat...but its still a fat faced sculpt.

if the bespin jacket didn't suck so bad it would be easy to fix the figure by just leaving the breathing mask on...:lol

I don't own all these figures, but here goes:

1) ANH Ben Kenobi
2) The Emperor
3) Clone Obi-Wan
4) Clone Troopers (pick one)
5) ANH Han on the condition that he's repainted (fantastic sculpt under terrible factory paint).

yeah, i ditched the bespin jacket in favor of the trench coat...but its still a fat faced sculpt.

if the bespin jacket didn't suck so bad it would be easy to fix the figure by just leaving the breathing mask on...:lol

A fat face sculpt for a fat Han. ;) As many have speculated, when you look at him, it's not hard to believe that he was originally intended to be an ROTJ Han and the wardrobe swapped to ESB for whatever reason.

:lol That's how I have him displayed! You're right, even with the mask hiding his fat face sculpt, I find his jacked way too small which make his whole torso/chest area look small. And I agree with Nam. He makes a good enough Endor Han with a vest and trenchcoat. Although I'm hoping Sideshow will eventually make an official Endor Han (hopefully not too fat, despite the reality of Ford's weight! ;))

:lol That's how I have him displayed! You're right, even with the mask hiding his fat face sculpt, I find his jacked way too small which make his whole torso/chest area look small. And I agree with Nam. He makes a good enough Endor Han with a vest and trenchcoat. Although I'm hoping Sideshow will eventually make an official Endor Han (hopefully not too fat, despite the reality of Ford's weight! ;))

I'm actually holding out for a Hoth Han with bare head that I can bash a proper Bespin Han with. :(

DPrime, you may need a little glue, but the Sideshow heads will fit on the HT bodies as long as you make sure the body you are buying comes with the special neck adapter, which most of the packaged nude HT bodies do come with.

Thanks! Good to know...

I guess there's always the chance they'll do another one, though. What was that, the Episode I version? I'm sure he didn't look all that different in each movie but probably a little...

Maybe, but probably not... it's actually all films rolled into one figure. He comes with a severed stump and 2 different lightsabers. (His Episode I lightsaber and his Episode II/III lightsaber) If you get the exclusive, which I did not, he comes with Jangos helmet.:rotfl

Thanks for the advice guys.

I just recently picked up an exclusive Han Solo (Smuggler) and exclusive Mace. (Yeah, I'm a Sideshow exclusive snob.)

:clap:clap

Here are my favorites

ANH Vader
ESB Vader
ROTJ Vader
ROTS Vader
TFU Vader

Oh wait.....Sideshow only made ANH

:panic: GET ON THIS SIDESHOW :panic:

Thanks for the advice guys.

I just recently picked up an exclusive Han Solo (Smuggler) and exclusive Mace. (Yeah, I'm a Sideshow exclusive snob.)

Hey Prime, just fair warning - you are following the exact same pattern I started out in. I told myself I could quit anytime, I don't NEED these figures or those figures, just these couple of ones I have now and MAYBE a few more... Now I have a house full of twelve inch action figures, you see I collected them all, now the only thing I need is a twelve step plan to get back to normal... :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Well, I can be patient. If it means having the best versions possible it might be worth it to me. Who are the "top painters", anyway, if you don't mind me asking?

Speaking of modification, are any better bodies available that wouldn't require any surgery to the head itself? For some reason, repainting the heads seems okay, but I don't like the idea of cutting them...

I can honestly say only HT figures are nice enough out of the box for me.

Only figure I bought that wasworth the price for me was Jedi Luke, costed me 30$, and I customized it to my heart's delight!

Honestly, for the 100$ price tag on some of these figures, I'm dissapointed. Even Vader they didnt get right. Of all the figurres to not get right, why Vader? And of all the parts you could get wrong, why his DOME?! Heck, Sideshow didn't even alterthe damn thing after all the complaints of the Proto piece.

Anyway,this is what you can get out of a Jedi Luke if you really want to put work in it:

naamloos-2.jpg

Back