Eragon Review w/Spoilers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buttmunch said:
Is there supposed to be more than 3 or will the 3rd one be the end?

I believe they were going with trilogy on this one, but judging from the general reaction so far, and if it flops at the box office this could be the only one.

Buttmunch said:
I actually liked the movie :eek: I haven't read the books though. I too totally saw Star Wars and LotR similarities/rip offs. I might go back and read the two books now. Is there supposed to be more than 3 or will the 3rd one be the end?

I thought the baby dragon was really cute, it reminded me of my dog :lol
The books are definitely supposed to be a trilogy. I believe since it came out Eragon was called book 1 of the Inheritance Trilogy.

steam3.jpg

Geez, was looking forward to this movie. haven't read the books, been meaning to,but got distracted. Oh well.

Watched Orange Count Choppers build the Eragon bike and they got screwed over. It was supposed to be unvelied at the Premier in NYC, then they moved the premier to London, so it got revealed at their store instead. Really lame.

Bannister said:
The similarities are in the novels as well.
In that case I kind of feel sorry for the kid who wrote the books. Although sometimes a writer can channel another story or character without knowing it, there are far to many similarities here for it to be a coincidence.

I've hearing about all the similarities with this and LOTR. Can someone list all the major similarities, please? I've not read the book yet and I wasn't really planning on it either. Thanks in advance! :)

carbo-fation said:
I've hearing about all the similarities with this and LOTR. Can someone list all the major similarities, please? I've not read the book yet and I wasn't really planning on it either. Thanks in advance! :)

I found it to have a lot in common with SW too. Bottom line it sucked!

It's really far more simplistic than LotR, either than being in a fantasy milieu it's far more SW.

SPOILERS

A princess flees from bad guys, is captured and sends out the McGuffin, not knowing where it will land.

The McGuffin is found by an innocent farmboy with a incredible destiny of which he is unaware.

The secondary bad guy tortures the princess to find out where the McGuffin is.

A mysterious old wizard helps the farmboy whose family is killed while the badguys look for the McGuffin.

...and that's just the first 20 minutes...

.....and main evil guy was a Dragon rider, who hunts down and kills all the other Dragon riders. Mysterious old wizard who helps out farm boy turns out to have been a Dragon rider, who knew the evil Dragon rider before he turned evil.

Darklord Dave said:
It's really far more simplistic than LotR, either than being in a fantasy milieu it's far more SW.

SPOILERS

A princess flees from bad guys, is captured and sends out the McGuffin, not knowing where it will land.

The McGuffin is found by an innocent farmboy with a incredible destiny of which he is unaware.

The secondary bad guy tortures the princess to find out where the McGuffin is.

A mysterious old wizard helps the farmboy whose family is killed while the badguys look for the McGuffin.

...and that's just the first 20 minutes...
Who's this McGuffin guy you keep talking about? :monkey5

"The McGuffin" is a term coined by Alfred Hitch****. It is the Thing that drives the plot although it has little to do with it. In Star Wars it's the plans to the death star. In Eragon it's the Dragon egg/dragon.

Darklord Dave said:
"The McGuffin" is a term coined by Alfred Hitch****. It is the Thing that drives the plot although it has little to do with it. In Star Wars it's the plans to the death star. In Eragon it's the Dragon egg/dragon.
I know what a Mcguffin is Dave, hence the Monkey emoticon.

King Darkness said:
.....and main evil guy was a Dragon rider, who hunts down and kills all the other Dragon riders. Mysterious old wizard who helps out farm boy turns out to have been a Dragon rider, who knew the evil Dragon rider before he turned evil.
Yep, sounds like a Medieval version of Star Wars alright.

And the sad thing is that I had very high hopes for this movie from what I saw from all the trailers and everything. Damn....:monkey2

Ok well, I guess we won't see anymore of these movies again...

Those similarites are attrocious! Hasnt the kid been sued for such a blatent ripoff of StarWars and beyond?

BDboystoys said:
Those similarites are attrocious! Hasnt the kid been sued for such a blatent ripoff of StarWars and beyond?
How much you wanna bet he's gonna be pretty soon?:lol

Not that it was terribly bad. The wide cinematography shots were neat to look at. A few of the actors earnestly seemed to try and make a good movie but it really is just STAR WARS with Dragons. Looked like they were even ripping off parts of STAR WARS that were cut. Notice the scene with his brother going off to keep from being drafted by the "Empire" , total Biggs rippoff. When the protagonist sneaks off to Jabba's palace/Death Dungen to rescue his sister, look at what he's wearing all Jedi cloak-like.

This is what happens when you let Hollywood make movies by commitee.

And yes, I still have a hard time trying to shake off Iron's from D&D.

Then again that movie he was in with Orlando Bloom about the Crusades wasn't too bad!

I saw it on Friday.

I really enjoyed it.

I am a HUGE fan of the book, and have been waiting fot this film for a long time. I wasn't disappointed, but I thought they could have done things differently.

For starters, they should have had more character development. I thought Arya's character was severely under-used, considering she is such a huge character in the book. Also, it never even explained what she is!

I thought the film should have been longer, say 2 hours at least, as then they could have developed the characters and slowed down the plot (Saphira growing fully should have been a longer process), giving them chance to explain things more.

As for the acting, I was quite happy with that. I think Ed Speelers was a very good choice for Eragon, and Jeremy Irons was quite good. Sienna Guillory was good for the few scenes she had, but I still think she should have had black hair, like in the book.

Saphira was my only actor (or voice) quibble - I didn't think the voice suited her that well. Maybe it's just me though.

Saying all that, I still really enjoyed it, and look forward to seeing it again!

If this is a lame version of the lame-arse Star Wars bullshizzat:D .............then I will be a passing on the dung heap.............

Call me old, but I am gonna skip this and see Rocky Balboa..........

Last edited:
Back