Entire school staff fired

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 actually, most recently in LA about two years ago. I still am involved with DuFours and Marzano. Right now my leadership team is reading "The Art and Science of Teaching" by Marzano and seeing how they will apply in our particular site.

We're in year 5 of our PLC... The staff has bought in and we're seeing good things. Most of our staff (and our district) has been to multiple conferences (in fact two of my colleagues are in Phoenix this week at another conference) and that's helped with both the understanding and the growth of our PLC.

That has to do with how you are as a person. Maybe you aren't fully reading my posts. I work in a district that is 85% low income. I work in a district where 80% are on free lunch and 73% are on free lunch and breakfast. I'm not in a better district. I could go literally 30 miles south to the Pleasanton Unified School District and make $25,000 more a year. Their kids are averaging higher proficiencies than I do. I live in front of a high school which if I worked there it would take me 5 minutes walking to get to work and I'd be making the same amount of money if not slightly more. Instead I commute an average of 40 minutes each day, through traffic to teach at my school because its where I'm needed. Out of the 65 teachers at my site, only three live in the city we work in and 30 commute more than an hour, why? We are needed. It takes someone of very low character to bail out on kids that need you simply for a paycheck. If you love your job and know you are making a difference you'll travel for hours to be there. Its when you hate your job or dislike your circumstances that you start to look for something "closer" or "better". Let the teachers who are so full of themselves they ignore the call to teach leave those districts, I promise you the kids are better for it.

2 actually, most recently in LA about two years ago. I still am involved with DuFours and Marzano. Right now my leadership team is reading "The Art and Science of Teaching" by Marzano and seeing how they will apply in our particular site.

Your district is handicapping your teachers. Good classroom management is more important than even knowledge of your discipline. I shake my head when I see 30 year olds scared of 12 year olds. Its all about presense and how you conduct yourself in the class. You show them who is boss and catch issues before they get out of hand and you'll be fine. Your school is one of the ones that seriously needs someone in there with balls to show the parents that teachers need to be able to do their job despite their brats thinking otherwise.

I totally agree. Trouble is, when you try to lay down the law, the principal and/or the administration don't have your back. They always side with the kid or parent because they don't or won't take the criticism from the parent. I say parent because most kids don't have two anymore.

I'm old school, that's why I don't ever want to teach. I'd probably be fired in my second week. :lol

Unfortunately the rest of our district hasn't embraced PLC like our site has. Our sister Junior High wants nothing to do with them. Even though we are outperforming them, they have more old school teachers than we do. I love it and hope that we can attend another conference but since they just announced 13 million in cuts to our district alone I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

Good classroom management is more important than even knowledge of your discipline. I shake my head when I see 30 year olds scared of 12 year olds. Its all about presense and how you conduct yourself in the class. You show them who is boss and catch issues before they get out of hand and you'll be fine. Your school is one of the ones that seriously needs someone in there with balls to show the parents that teachers need to be able to do their job despite their brats thinking otherwise.

I think that only certain types of personalities make good teachers. Not everyone has that "presence", that you refer to. I believe it is essential for classroom management as well. It takes a charismatic, powerful, and personable person to manage a classroom. Those are the only types of people that kids listen to. Without a powerful presence, the teacher must resort to deferring to the discipline system of detentions and the like, and then the teacher gets a rep for being a jerk, and then they don't like him. Kids don't respect adults who lack leadership ability. Not everyone can get others to follow directions willingly. IMO, weak personality people or people without power, charisma and presence which amounts to leadership ability have no business being teachers. They want to contribute, but I really think they should find some other vocation.
It is evident that you definitely have the makings of a great teacher.

Unfortunately the rest of our district hasn't embraced PLC like our site has. Our sister Junior High wants nothing to do with them. Even though we are outperforming them, they have more old school teachers than we do. I love it and hope that we can attend another conference but since they just announced 13 million in cuts to our district alone I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

You're right-- The staff has to buy in, but that's also because you have to make your (PL)community fit your school (and the needs of the student body). Like I said we're having success.

But for every great teacher who goes above and beyond there are always those people who should be absolutely nowhere near a classroom-- thankfully they usually ascend and then become experts :lol (remember the saying about what floats)... I've been approached several times in the twelve years I've been in this one district about moving up to a mentor/admin role and each time I've said "no thanks". A) I enjoy working with the students too much and B) being in the institution allows me to see the difference/impact I'm making on a daily basis... not only with the passion for literature and reading that I share with others but also through the varsity football program that I created (which has since spawned four other levels of football in the area and multiple titles at multiple levels) and the drama program which I revived from one-act minimum actor life-support.

My star RB is going to go to a junior college (Canadian equivalent) to play more ball (where before the sport was here a similar student would have never considered that) and today I got him so wrapped up in Medieval poetry that he hounded me during our team Academic Intervention class (schoolwide)-- even though he's in a separate team-- to let him know if he had found one of the clues in Part 2 of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight that revealed the true identity of Morgan Le Fay... Eventually he found one-- but it's those moments where I know I chose the right profession and that I'm making a difference...

Sometimes people who aren't in the profession don't get it-- and unfortunately sometimes those who are in it for the wrong reasons or just for too long forget it... We sure as hell aren't in this for the money. :lol

Mike, you and I really need to have more of these discussions. :lol
Our schools big focus right now is Thinking Maps and structured planning of the five steps of instruction.
It takes someone of very low character to bail out on kids that need you simply for a paycheck. If you love your job and know you are making a difference you'll travel for hours to be there. Its when you hate your job or dislike your circumstances that you start to look for something "closer" or "better". Let the teachers who are so full of themselves they ignore the call to teach leave those districts, I promise you the kids are better for it.

Maybe my post didn't come out right, because we both teach at almost identical schools (except I am primary and you secondary), but I agree with everything you are saying about the calling and underperforming students "needing" committed teachers. I also have taught there for going on nine years, so I could have very easily transferred to Sierra Lakes (Northern Fontana) or one of the 'better' schools in Loma Linda, Yucaipa, or Redlands. I have stayed at Primrose because we have a very supportive principal, I have seen the difference a united staff can make, and I feel like intermediate needs experienced teachers.

However, the fact remains that the punishment side of unreasonable accountability is increasingly pushing great teachers out of underperforming schools. This has NOTHING to do with money and everything to do with dignity. I feel like you saying that these teachers who leave because they don't want to deal with the unstable job security aspect and the political bull____ have low character is not very fair. I have a wife and three kids that rely on me, if my school was in program improvement 3 (which it is not) and we were being threatened with a takeover and job loss, you better believe I would be looking to transfer. Sorry if my family and children are more important than staying at a school that is being punished for (often) things that a teacher can't control. :peace

Your district is handicapping your teachers. Good classroom management is more important than even knowledge of your discipline...Its all about presense and how you conduct yourself in the class...Your school is one of the ones that seriously needs someone in there with balls to show the parents that teachers need to be able to do their job despite their brats thinking otherwise.
I completely agree that it begins and ends with parents.
:lecture Amen! Also, don't forget the parents whose believe that it is always another kid's fault even when their children are complete bullies and class clowns.

The principal we had before our current one let all types of crap go and would actually give kids an "Oops" sticker and a Red Vine for being sent to the office. Discipline used to be completely wild and there was no administrative nor parental support. The principal for the last eight years doesn't put up with any crap at all and even started a "working suspension" program instead of the traditional suspension. Some teachers feel like she antagonizes difficult parents and isn't positive enough, but really she just doesn't give these parents a foot in to start the complaining and doesn't give an ear to student excuses.

Here is a perfect example. Most of the 4th/5th students who are doing the "working suspension" get sent to my room for the two days. Last week, I had a young lady who would not stop turning around and laughing at my class and telling them that she was going to fight them and yadda-yadda. So I made it crystal clear to her that a) my students didn't want to see her and b) she needs to act like a lady in my class. Mom came in afterschool ranting in the office and demanding a meeting, which the principal obliged. My principal asked me if the story was true and I told her it was. The mom got very smug and then my principal asked, "Was your daughter acting like a lady?" We have a very supportive principal. :D

Last edited:
Back