Enterbay Robocop Repainted

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Spidey

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys,

After painting about a dozen Hot Toys Robocop figures, I have to say I was really excited to get my hands on the Enterbay counterpart.

I know reviews haven't always been positive about this figure, but I for one love it. It certainly isn't flawless but I just love the proportions and the likeness to Peter Weller helmet on is out of this world imho.

Of course the paintjob wasn't to my liking (better than hot toys though, ie not as chrome looking) so I gave him the Robocop 2 repaint treatment.

Onto the pics! :wink1:

Incredible.

In your view should Enterbay and Hot Toys have been able to match your paintjobs at a mass production level?

Looks great!

It's not like this couldn't have been painted this way from the start.
4 coats of paint.

Incredible.

In your view should Enterbay and Hot Toys have been able to match your paintjobs at a mass production level?

Tought to answer without sounding like an arrogant ass^^

Honestly this is more work than it looks. Let me explain... Hot Toys paintjobs are more often than not really really good. But PVC helps a lot in that department. Take an Iron Man suit for example. They're made of dozens, probably more than a hundred small pieces that can be painted individually. As a result, there's little to no masking involved which is why their paint apps are so clean (compared to most statue companies that simply cannot work this neatly with resin pieces).

However, while their paintjobs are super clean, they're not exactly incredibly detailed. They don't require a lot of skills. Again look at their Iron man suits, you'll see they paint little to no shading. There's very few color variations for each part. Metallic red is one tone, same for the gold, silver, etc.

This Robocop paintjob is a totally different ball game. I'm working with transparent colors that I apply as I would filters. I'm building the colors as I go and each part of the armor requires diluted black shading, dark blue, lighter blue highlights, purple hues etc
Not to mention that candy paints are very difficult to work with because they are not opaque and one single mistake cannot be fixed. So I have to make sure the dilution is perfect, and then I hold my breath for a whole day working on these.

I'm not saying Hot Toys or Enterbay can't do it, I'm just saying it's unlikely. They're already charging a lot of money for their figures while the paintjobs aren't that complex. This on the other hand is a very time-consuming process and there's just no way around that. I guess this wouldn't be economically viable for them or they would have to charge more.

Thanks for the answer. Hmm, maybe we shouldn't be so hard on them then for the way the paint on the final figures came out.

You just turned a superb figure into an absolute masterpiece. But that's not anything new is it.

Thanks everyone!

Put it up for sale if anyone's interested

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Back