ENTERBAY :Pirates of the Caribbean

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering how objective people are being when they say that HT head sculpt looks more like Depp than Enterbay. As a portrait artist who's done multiple Jacks and is more familiar with his face than I care to be, Enterbay hs captures Depp's likeness much better than HT. On the other hand, it could possibly be the paint job. Enterbay's has a much tanner skin tone (as it should have), where as HT's appears almost fair with freckles. Something as simple as that might really change the look of the hs, just like Enterbay's would be helped by adding kohl to the eyes.

But I do wonder if people are really taking a good look at the head sculpts and comparing them to photos or if it's just a HT thing. :dunno

I may give you that its the paint not the actual sculpt thats throwing things off. I'm not a HT elitist (I only have 1 HT figure) but just looking at them in these pictures the HT one looks more like Depp to me than this one.

I may give you that its the paint not the actual sculpt thats throwing things off. I'm not a HT elitist (I only have 1 HT figure) but just looking at them in these pictures the HT one looks more like Depp to me than this one.

I think a fair comparison will be HT alternate sculpt. Enterbay's version has an expression whereas HT (revealed) expression is rather basic. IMO easier to capture a basic expression :dunno Either way, I need 1 Sparrow in my collection and it will be HT Dx.

I think a fair comparison will be HT alternate sculpt. Enterbay's version has an expression whereas HT (revealed) expression is rather basic. IMO easier to capture a basic expression :dunno

And that could be it as well. I guess in reality we'll just have to wait until they are in hand to decide for sure.

Man, what's with the PF hate? I bought my wife one for christmas and she loves it, and I really think they did well too. It has Sideshow paint quality, unfortunately. Other than that, I thought they nailed him.

I'm sorry but it looks nothing like Depp. I love SSC pieces and I'd love any excuse to get that one being a huge POTC fan but I can't even find Depp in that piece trying my hardest. Glad your wife enjoys it though, that's important :D

I'm wondering how objective people are being when they say that HT head sculpt looks more like Depp than Enterbay. As a portrait artist who's done multiple Jacks and is more familiar with his face than I care to be, Enterbay hs captures Depp's likeness much better than HT. On the other hand, it could possibly be the paint job. Enterbay's has a much tanner skin tone (as it should have), where as HT's appears almost fair with freckles. Something as simple as that might really change the look of the hs, just like Enterbay's would be helped by adding kohl to the eyes.

But I do wonder if people are really taking a good look at the head sculpts and comparing them to photos or if it's just a HT thing. :dunno

Personally I don't play favorites. I have to try really hard to see Depp in the EB sculpt whereas in the HT sculpt I see him immediately, so I give a point to HT.

Also, I don't know why EB chose this smirking failure expression for Jack, I can't recall seeing this expression a single time in the film. Another point to HT.

Moving on from sculpt from the neck down I think we all agree HT wins in this department. Another point to HT.

EB will likely charge their standard $300+shipping for this, whereas the HT DX costs about $240+shipping. Another point for HT.

And given EB's history of putting out an end product that isn't what the proto pictures depict, I feel much better going with the DX knowing that's exactly what I'm getting. Another point to HT.

You can give EB a point for the bandana & another for the hair, so imo the final score is 5 - 2 HT wins :D

Personally I don't play favorites. I have to try really hard to see Depp in the EB sculpt whereas in the HT sculpt I see him immediately, so I give a point to HT.

Also, I don't know why EB chose this smirking failure expression for Jack, I can't recall seeing this expression a single time in the film. Another point to HT.

Moving on from sculpt from the neck down I think we all agree HT wins in this department. Another point to HT.

EB will likely charge their standard $300+shipping for this, whereas the HT DX costs about $240+shipping. Another point for HT.

And given EB's history of putting out an end product that isn't what the proto pictures depict, I feel much better going with the DX knowing that's exactly what I'm getting. Another point to HT.

You can give EB a point for the bandana & another for the hair, so imo the final score is 5 - 2 HT wins :D

That's fair enough.

I'm not even a big enough fan to tell who got the colors correct.
But you can clearly see, Enterbay uses a brighter shade of blue with the vest. They also use two different colored pistol grips.
Even the boots are different between the two.

Just about the only thing similar between the DX and Enterbay Jack is the hat. :lol

I agree. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to spotting detail, so I can't articulate exactly what it is about this sculpt that is lacking for me. Others who are bigger fans of Depp and/or POTC seem to be saying that this sculpt is the better likeness, but I just can't see it. Perhaps it's the expression, I'm not digging it. Maybe I have become a HT fanboy whore.

Enterbay have dug themselves a real hole with their marketing and promotion. The default position of collectors seems to be "we can't trust the proto pics as a reliable indication of the end product and we know it is going to be expensive". It kind of makes all this discussion a bit hollow. We'll only know which one comes up trumps and in what departments when we can see in-hand pics of EB's Jack.

I applaud Enterbay for trying something different with the sculpt. In the HT magazine article thread the head of the company explains the challenges adding character to sculpts. HT lets the sculptor decide the expression which we know more than often is bland. I think part of missing the Depp likeness is we become too familiar with judging from generic sculpts.

All the kindness regarding the sculpt can be tossed when discussing his attire. I don't have the 'eagle-eye' for detail as some but the clothes / boots look cheap. I like the ideas for their accessories but even they look meh...

I'm certainly not trying to crap on this figure. I just see Depp more in HT. But, if you have some technical features you could point out, I'd certainly be open to them myself.

I like it, but still prefer HT's. I can see Depp in there but still have a preference to the HT sculpt as i see more Depp in it. Like most, the bandana is cool. The hair looks pretty awesome, I even like the jacket on the EB one better. The boots don't look too great though. It may not have a rudder but I do like the the chalices and the Black Pearl in the bootle. But all together, for me personally, I'm still sticking with HT, but I do like this figure. I think the HT one will sell out faster, where as th EB one, most will wait for in-hand pics. If the EB one comes out great it wouldnt be hard to sell it if need be

Just look at a photo of Depp. I think the overall quality and amazing presentation of the Hot Toys figure is masking their head sculpt because it really is a very passing resemblance to the man. They didn't even try to get the proper shape of his nose.

Anyone care to do a side-by-side comparison between the two figures?

I think because of the PERS, the HT Jack will always have an expression as if he's nervous.
The eyes on the Enterbay proto look great.

I don't know. Maybe it's the expression. That's not one I easily recognize for either Sparrow or Depp. HT's expression may be a bit safer and perhaps I recognize it better.:dunno

I did find some pics of Sparrow and spotted how the HT figure did seem to not quite get the nose right. I still look at those pics and see Sparrow instantly though.

Info updated.
Thanks for that.

Interesting...
The direction of the eyes in the teaser pic are slightly upward.
In these more recent proto pics, the eyes are now gazing directly ahead.

He no longer has such a sinister look about him. :lol

My original impression still holds--this sculpt is a much better Depp than what HT is giving us, but the choice of expression is odd. As you would expect, the rest of this figure (based on what we can see) is going to be sub-par compared with HT.

Ultimately, I'm gonna go with HT on this one, but I really have a difficult time finding Depp in their Sparrow sculpt. Hopefully their alternate face will have a better likeness.

Back