Enjoy it while you can

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memnoch

Lt. Vulture
Reaction score
From RTM's Q&A with Hasbro:

Raving Toy Maniac said:
3. Will Hasbro make 12" Star Wars figures again?

Answer: It's something we are evaluating, but we don't have a decision on whether we will pursue. In the meantime, we are enjoying the tremendous work that Sideshow is doing with the 12" figure line.

That doesn't mean Sideshow will lose the license though, I'm sure if Hasbro goes back it'll be just like Indy, they'll make the cheap ones for children and let Sideshow continue making high end for adults. I'm sure they know at this point, no adult collectors will ever go back to buying their stuff after what Medicom and Sideshow have offered.

I don't see why Hasbro can't make their cheap ones and let SS/Medicom make some as well. Just like they're doing with Indiana Jones.

Man, that would suck ass if they took the license back... but Hasbro and Sideshow are both making 1/6 figures, so maybe even if Hasbro makes more 12" it won't affect Sideshow. At least I hope :eek:

I'm hoping SS continues to make the figures as well but as we have no idea the details who knows what could happen.

Hasbro is doing a duel deal with SSC on GI Joe AND with Indiana Jones. If they decide to do Star Wars figures again it'll be the same kind of thing I'm sure. SSC is devoting an amazing amount of its business to SW and its paying off, I don't see why Hasbro business wise would throw that away. I DO though see them adding cheaper figures for retail outlets in the future to maximize profits amongst both young and old collectors.

Exactly, I can see them returning to the younger market because they're not getting that business now. I'm sure it will all depend on sales. The ROTS 12" figures become fairly peg warming after awhile. I'm sure they're thinking about revisiting Star Wars, but I can't imagine they're waste resources if the Indy and Joe figures don't do too well.

There's always the chance that a gem will sneak in there like the Count Dooku headsculpt. That figure is great (not the Hasblo body, though) and the headsculpt is outstanding in terms of likeness, proportion, and detail.

What? I know they have a deal on Star Wars and G.I.Joe, but Indy too?

Yes, Hasbro has the master toy license for INDY as well, which includes 12" figures. The deal is the same as G.I. JOE (and SW): Sideshow can make 1:6 figures, but they have to be direct-market, geared toward the adult collector and start at $60 a pop and go up from there. Hasbro has the license for 12" figures under $60 each (eh... $20) and for mass retail.

This is an HT forum too.

But now is not the time to judge SSC with so many changes going on. The hobbits with the co-HT bodies, the new Pro body, the armor body coming out - this is really a renaissance for SSC 1/6 that will filter through all the 1/6 lines eventually, SW included.

I'm betting people are glad that it's SSC that has GiJoe instead of HT - they will be on the Pro body, which is better than the HT body and they'll probably only be $80-90 instead of $130-150.

But this will not become an HT vs. SSC thread - I'm just saying that the gap in quality is narrowing between HT and SSC.

I just find it interesting Hasbro pondering the idea and if it would effect SS. It seems RTM isn't a fan of SS as they asked a question of Hasbro about their own holo-walker while busting the way SS did theirs. Granted it wasn't the best, but it was also a Con piece and done on the fly probably.

i could care less about hasbro...but i think they would piss off a lot of people if they tried to forcibly take the license away from SS.
their toys suck! I mean come on, as serious collectors why would we want to buy sub-par stuff?
granted I buy a few clones/troopers here and there but most of the stuff i see from hasbro really isn't worth the $10 or whatever they charge.

I just find it interesting Hasbro pondering the idea and if it would effect SS. It seems RTM isn't a fan of SS as they asked a question of Hasbro about their own holo-walker while busting the way SS did theirs. Granted it wasn't the best, but it was also a Con piece and done on the fly probably.

I'm not trying to be elitist, but RTM caters to the 5-7 inch scale collectors and is less focused on high end collectibles which the SSC 1/6 have become. If those same collectors are into 1/6 at all, they would rather pay $20 than $80 no matter the quality. All just my impression of course.

I garantee that if Sideshow stops making the figures...I stop collecting. Plain and as simple as that.

Back