eFX Darth Vader A NEW HOPE Helmet!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put my LE up for sale/trade. It's an awesome helmet but, I'm just more into maquettes and studio scale models.

Because they're farking incompetent. The defenders will say it's the Chinese manufactures fault but in reality, Apple could pull the same crap as all their products are made in China - but clearly their QC standards/manufacturer is much better.

eFX are simply being tight and contracting a cheap, poor quality, manufacturer to keep their profits high.

It's hard to determine any particular problem with so little information. We jump to conclusions too often. It could be that eFX and the manufacturer had negotiated whose responsibility it was going to be to replace the scuffed domes, and the manufacturer took most of the hit. They rushed making the replacement domes as to not tie up their facilities and staff, and thus they are not identical to the originals, nor are they as "clean" as we can see with the "D" or half circle indention that I will forever refer to as "the D scar" on the widows peak area of the spine. That's there because they didn't do a good job filling in whatever causes that. Plain and simple, the factory messed that up. I found a very, very faint version of it on my original helmet. It's so faint, I never noticed in all these months, but it's there. The replacements show it right off. I'm convinced the magnet leaves that impression, and the factory has to fill it in flush with the rest of the spine. Anyone who has made models, or patched sheetrock knows, that's difficult to accomplish. For whatever reason, the factory failed.

It could be that the manufacturer allocated less competent employees to the replacement job so their better employees could work on profitable projects. Any number of reasons beyond eFX exist, and unfortunately the customer pays in the end with having a choice between an inconsistent and inferior product, or one with shipping scuff marks and damage. Either way, it's $1000 for something that is not as satisfying as it should be, because you are not feeling happy, but rather picking a lesser of two evils.

The bottom line with the shine is not that it's so much shinier than the first version, that had it come first we'd even care. It's the fact that the new finish is definitely different from the original. You're left wondering if it was intentional. Did they mess up? Is this now an incorrect representation of the prop? Did they even match the same black? And the mind game tells you by default, the original was the correct finish and I now have one that was done wrong.

It doesn't matter if it's eFX's fault or not, their name is on the box and they take the hit in customer confidence, not the factory that can be fired and another selected. I will say this for eFX, their response time is not acceptable. But, every time I've talked to Brian he has been very polite, understanding and eager to make sure I have the best collectible possible. I want this company to grow and succeed. I can tell if they can get off the ground, get their site updated, and their processes tweaked, they will be another SSC.

As for my Vader helmet, I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. I suspect in the end I'll simply keep the original dome, scuffs and all, and forever feel a pit in my stomach that I had to live with a damaged version of the grail I've wanted since childhood. Life is cruel like that, especially in the collectibles world.

Regarding which sheen is correct, I'm not so sure the slightly more satin version of the first dome is correct...

DarthVaderANH-HD.jpg

DarthVaderANH-HD1.jpg

DarthVaderANH-HD3.jpg

DarthVaderANH-HD2.jpg

Regarding which sheen is correct, I'm not so sure the slightly more satin version of the first dome is correct...

DarthVaderANH-HD.jpg

DarthVaderANH-HD1.jpg

DarthVaderANH-HD3.jpg

DarthVaderANH-HD2.jpg

Agreed 100% and said that since day dot. But Gino (the Godfather of Vader knowledge) has been reassuring us that that is simply how the light is working on the helmet in those scenes (or something to that effect), and that the more "matt" finish is absolutely 100% screen accurate.

It's hard to determine any particular problem with so little information. We jump to conclusions too often. It could be that eFX and the manufacturer had negotiated whose responsibility it was going to be to replace the scuffed domes, and the manufacturer took most of the hit. They rushed making the replacement domes as to not tie up their facilities and staff, and thus they are not identical to the originals, nor are they as "clean" as we can see with the "D" or half circle indention that I will forever refer to as "the D scar" on the widows peak area of the spine. That's there because they didn't do a good job filling in whatever causes that. Plain and simple, the factory messed that up. I found a very, very faint version of it on my original helmet. It's so faint, I never noticed in all these months, but it's there. The replacements show it right off. I'm convinced the magnet leaves that impression, and the factory has to fill it in flush with the rest of the spine. Anyone who has made models, or patched sheetrock knows, that's difficult to accomplish. For whatever reason, the factory failed.

It could be that the manufacturer allocated less competent employees to the replacement job so their better employees could work on profitable projects. Any number of reasons beyond eFX exist, and unfortunately the customer pays in the end with having a choice between an inconsistent and inferior product, or one with shipping scuff marks and damage. Either way, it's $1000 for something that is not as satisfying as it should be, because you are not feeling happy, but rather picking a lesser of two evils.

The bottom line with the shine is not that it's so much shinier than the first version, that had it come first we'd even care. It's the fact that the new finish is definitely different from the original. You're left wondering if it was intentional. Did they mess up? Is this now an incorrect representation of the prop? Did they even match the same black? And the mind game tells you by default, the original was the correct finish and I now have one that was done wrong.

It doesn't matter if it's eFX's fault or not, their name is on the box and they take the hit in customer confidence, not the factory that can be fired and another selected. I will say this for eFX, their response time is not acceptable. But, every time I've talked to Brian he has been very polite, understanding and eager to make sure I have the best collectible possible. I want this company to grow and succeed. I can tell if they can get off the ground, get their site updated, and their processes tweaked, they will be another SSC.

As for my Vader helmet, I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. I suspect in the end I'll simply keep the original dome, scuffs and all, and forever feel a pit in my stomach that I had to live with a damaged version of the grail I've wanted since childhood. Life is cruel like that, especially in the collectibles world.

Well said. A far more thought-out, eloquent way of saying what I was meaning :wave

I have finally received mine and have to agree that screen shots etc are much glossier than the matt finish most of us have. Sure Gino has done a fabulous job but at the end of the day the original does not exist so screen shots is all we have and I think maybe the shine should have reflected that more than speculation.

Also another let down on the LE is that the gunmetal grey is almost not recognisable almost a waist of time doing it. I don’t know about everyone else but when I get the time I think I will be doing the paint brush style on mine to look like the legends and what we seen on the screen.
Not sure don’t how many people had input into this helmet but if it was me I would have had as much advice and input from as many people that I could.

I have finally received mine and have to agree that screen shots etc are much glossier than the matt finish most of us have. Sure Gino has done a fabulous job but at the end of the day the original does not exist so screen shots is all we have and I think maybe the shine should have reflected that more than speculation.

Also another let down on the LE is that the gunmetal grey is almost not recognisable almost a waist of time doing it. I don’t know about everyone else but when I get the time I think I will be doing the paint brush style on mine to look like the legends and what we seen on the screen.
Not sure don’t how many people had input into this helmet but if it was me I would have had as much advice and input from as many people that I could.

So the Limiteds were glossier than the Legends, and the Legend dome replacements are like the LE's? Interesting.

So the Limiteds were glossier than the Legends, and the Legend dome replacements are like the LE's? Interesting.

I only have the LE but i think they are the same, I was just saying that the domes are not as glossy as on screen shots.

Mine arrived in what appears to be perfect shape. I like the slightly glossier finish, too.

For those who have not received the replacement yet, here it is on the left next to the original that is getting sent back:

IMG_4616.jpg

I actually never received mine yet (Brian's Toys finally confirmed my order is ready) but I'm aware that there were issues with dome damage(gotta start digging deep in the thread to get the specifics). I'm hoping that since I'm getting mine late in the game, mine will be issue free and I won't have to deal with replacing anything.

Just curious though, how did you end up with both domes? eFx sent the replacements before receiving the returns??? Sorry, like I said I'm not fully up to date on everything yet.

I actually never received mine yet (Brian's Toys finally confirmed my order is ready) but I'm aware that there were issues with dome damage(gotta start digging deep in the thread to get the specifics). I'm hoping that since I'm getting mine late in the game, mine will be issue free and I won't have to deal with replacing anything.

Just curious though, how did you end up with both domes? eFx sent the replacements before receiving the returns??? Sorry, like I said I'm not fully up to date on everything yet.

They sent just the new dome in a box marked as such. The one you do not keep must get sent back within 30 days.

The issues with the Legends centered around the chemical interaction between the paint and the styrofoam where the styrofoam came into contact with the dome. It left a styrofoam cell structure pattern in the finish. These are the "scuffs" people refer to.

Agreed 100% and said that since day dot. But Gino (the Godfather of Vader knowledge) has been reassuring us that that is simply how the light is working on the helmet in those scenes (or something to that effect), and that the more "matt" finish is absolutely 100% screen accurate.

I agree...it is glossy in those scenes. Not necessarily mirror finish (you can see areas that border on satin), but certainly glossy.

Actually, it is still what I would consider "satin". Here is a better pic...definitely not "glossy" and not too different from the original...

IMG_4617.jpg

Glad I got the less glossy version. Vader didn't start polishing his helmet until ESB. Looks like mine just went up in value too- LOL

BB

They sent just the new dome in a box marked as such. The one you do not keep must get sent back within 30 days.

The issues with the Legends centered around the chemical interaction between the paint and the styrofoam where the styrofoam came into contact with the dome. It left a styrofoam cell structure pattern in the finish. These are the "scuffs" people refer to.

Thanks brother :duff. Does anyone know if the current wave being sent out is corrected or is it the same story?

I know that a lot of people are fuming with eFx and rightfully so but at least they were good enough to send the replacements before receiving the returns. Most companies would definitely do it the other way around. Even if it is the least they could do.

Thanks brother :duff. Does anyone know if the current wave being sent out is corrected or is it the same story?

I know that a lot of people are fuming with eFx and rightfully so but at least they were good enough to send the replacements before receiving the returns. Most companies would definitely do it the other way around. Even if it is the least they could do.

While the process has been slow, Bryan and eFX have been as generous as possible with the replacements. The whole thing is unfortunate, and certainly was costly for eFX. They do deserve recognition for that, as like I said, Bryan has not just been willing to work with customers, but has been very empathetic and seems to really want to have a top notch deliverable. If they were all a bunch of jerks, it would be one thing, but I really like this company and hope it all gets cleared up and on to the next project.

While the process has been slow, Bryan and eFX have been as generous as possible with the replacements. The whole thing is unfortunate, and certainly was costly for eFX. They do deserve recognition for that, as like I said, Bryan has not just been willing to work with customers, but has been very empathetic and seems to really want to have a top notch deliverable. If they were all a bunch of jerks, it would be one thing, but I really like this company and hope it all gets cleared up and on to the next project.

I agree and thanks again for the info.

I still have to go back and read what all the real issues are and look at pics and whatnot. I know there are a few people who are extra pissed and bitter but whats the final consensus on the piece. Brain's Toys said that it's ready to ship and they wanted to know if I was still interested. Aside from the inaccuracies, headache and heartache, blah blah blah, is the piece a keeper or do many of you wish that you didn't pick it up?

I have a bunch of MR stuff but my only experience with eFx is my ESB sig. ed. Luke helmet which I love.

Aside from the inaccuracies, headache and heartache, blah blah blah, is the piece a keeper or do many of you wish that you didn't pick it up?

I assume you're asking if it hadn't been for the QC issues, is it worth it. I would give it 9 out of 10 if my original dome had come just like it is, without the foam marks on it. It's pedigree goes to the original helmet, so you can't get much better than that. The paint colors and application were pretty good (which is where the 1 comes off because I wasn't absolutely blown away by the quality of the pain application). Overall, it's an amazing piece, and it was done very well. They just didn't protect the dome in shipping properly.

As for with the QC problems, that tends to tarnish things for people, me included. Long waits, frustration, disappointment, all take time to get past. I was a lot more happy with it before the replacement came since I wasn't really thinking about the problems. That reminded me of them, and the replacement is worse in other areas than what they were trying to replace. It digs up the frustration of the original problem all over again, and takes away the comfort of eFX fixing it. You basically have to choose which dome is less screwed up and live with it. It's a little worse for me, because I put some small scratches into the original dome replacing it with the replacement. So, even if I stick with the first one, it's worse for wear now than before the replacement. Just a bad experience altogether.

I still have to go back and read what all the real issues are and look at pics and whatnot. I know there are a few people who are extra pissed and bitter but whats the final consensus on the piece. Brain's Toys said that it's ready to ship and they wanted to know if I was still interested. Aside from the inaccuracies, headache and heartache, blah blah blah, is the piece a keeper or do many of you wish that you didn't pick it up?

I have a bunch of MR stuff but my only experience with eFx is my ESB sig. ed. Luke helmet which I love.

What did Brian's Toys charge you for the helmet? That guy's prices are crazy.

BB

Back