• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ebay's "Final Value Fee on Shipping"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaber

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ebay sellers take heed! Ebay now charges a dubious "Final Value Fee on Shipping" of 10%. When asked to explain why, I was told that it is to protect buyers from sellers who overcharge on shipping. Unclear how Ebay collecting more money from sellers would help protect buyers, I offered an example of a seller offering discounted shipping in order to facilitate a sale. Why then, would Ebay charge an additional fee if the buyer was actually paying less than he/she should for shipping? The response I received was the same, that it was to protect buyers. When I inquired further as to why it was Ebay's place to intervene in the transaction in first place, after all, the deal is between the buyer and the seller and if a buyer feels the shipping fees are too high, he/she can simply not bid, I was given the same answer; put simply, Ebay has found a way to make more money and that's that. I encourage all sellers to look at their invoices from the past 2 years and request a refund on these ridiculous fees. Or better yet, stop selling on Ebay altogether!

That is nothing new, they have for quite some time.

Is because of those people that tried to cheat Ebay on fees. Taking a $100 item with $5 shipping and making it a $5 item with $100 shipping.

Don't like what they are doing now, go somewhere else. None of the other auctions sites have anywhere close to the traffic Ebay generates.

Except that it doesn't protect buyers, it only makes Ebay richer. If they want to ensure shipping fees are not a way to avoid Ebay costs, don't allow a fixed shipping option. I feel quite cheated by Ebay, as I have often taken a hit on shipping in order to facilitate a sale.

Like EF says, there is a totally legitimate excuse for what they're doing--you used to always see stuff like a 99 cent item with $150 shipping costs--though I'm sure eBay didn't cry to hard about the fact that they were able to rake in additional fees in the process of addressing that problem. Sadly, eBay/Paypal (which are owned by the same parent organization, by the way) have monopolized the online auction corner of the market, and there are no competitors in sight. So, it sucks--I've probably given them $2,000 in fees over the last year or so myself--but like EF says, they are the only game in town. So, we bite our tongue and deal with it.

No matter how big they are, it doesn't justify ripping off consumers. The stated reason for implementing these fees is to protect buyers and that simply doesn't fly. Like all big corporations, they have found a way to reap bigger profits, but that doesn't mean it's kosher. Just think, if you sell to someone in Australia, Ebay makes more money off this bogus fee because of the cost of shipping overseas than if you sell to someone in your own country. For example, if domestic shipping is only $20, you as a seller pay $2 for this new fee, but if overseas shipping costs $100, you lose $10. How does that make sense? Something smells fishy...

Like you and me they are in the business to make as much money as possible. We are all greedy. Those that say they aren't, are lying.

They may charge out the ass for fees, but they aren't forcing you to use their service. :dunno

Like Kara says, they are it until someone else steps up.

No matter how big they are, it doesn't justify ripping off consumers. The stated reason for implementing these fees is to protect buyers and that simply doesn't fly. Like all big corporations, they have found a way to reap bigger profits, but that doesn't mean it's kosher. Just think, if you sell to someone in Australia, Ebay makes more money off this bogus fee because of the cost of shipping overseas than if you sell to someone in your own country. For example, if domestic shipping is only $20, you as a seller pay $2 for this new fee, but if overseas shipping costs $100, you lose $10. How does that make sense? Something smells fishy...
Well, I will totally respect you for closing your eBay account and not buying from there anymore as a principled protest against them.

The fee have been there for years... Just price your shipping higher to offset it if you don't want to pay it. I just offer free shipping because it really makes no difference with them charging fee on shipping.

The thing that annoys me is that, if I charge certain amount for shipping, I use their system to print shipping label, they know I am not making any money on shipping, in fact, I always lose money buying insurance and signature confirmation, they can easily not penalize everyone for the people who try to get around the system.

And regarding the international shipping costs, you can use their Global Shipping program, which only charges you for the domestic shipping, and provides extra protections for sellers.

And regarding the international shipping costs, you can use their Global Shipping program, which only charges you for the domestic shipping, and provides extra protections for sellers.

Actually, I am currently having pretty bad experience with this. I sold a Mario statue for $1500 a couple weeks ago, I shipped the statue to their Global Shipping center, 6 days later, the buyer claims his 5 year old son accidentally purchased the item and they can't afford it. I said I don't buy his 5 year old son excuse, but if he can't afford it, I will take it back. I called eBay to try to have the statue return to me as it haven't arrived to their Global Shipping center in KY. They said they will have the Global Shipping center contact me in 24-48 hours. I called a couple times again, eBay just said there isn't a number I can call in the shipping department, and shipping will contact me. 6 days later no contact, package have been shipped to Canada.

Mean while, the buyer file a paypal claim, the fund is on hold, so I am down the $50 I spent shipping the item. Buyer said he will refuse the package, since it's coming from eBay, it will go back to eBay instead of me, then eBay will have to figure out why it was send back to them and then return to me. I am pretty sure I will have to pay for them to ship it back to me. Buy the time it comes back, it will be over 30 days, and I would have to pay the $150 selling fee. Since I haven't gotten the item back and can't cancel the transaction. So before I can get my statue back, I will have to fork out $200 + return shipping of my own money. So this is my bad ebay Global Shipping experience for you. I will just decide whether to ship something international myself from now on.

At the time EBay started this new practice they also reduced fees as a whole which pretty much offset the cost. eBay also offers a seller discount if you offer free or reduced shipping.

Well, I will totally respect you for closing your eBay account and not buying from there anymore as a principled protest against them.
Lol, it's more fun to complain than actually take a stand :rotfl

keewan, that sounds purely like the problem of the buyer. I hope you get satisfaction without shelling out more money.

I have used the Global Shipping service about a dozen times so far and it has worked well. It is a bit scary sending the item to what is essentially a middle-man, but it has worked so far. As long as the shipping center gets the item, I am safe.

keewan, that sounds purely like the problem of the buyer. I hope you get satisfaction without shelling out more money.

I have used the Global Shipping service about a dozen times so far and it has worked well. It is a bit scary sending the item to what is essentially a middle-man, but it has worked so far. As long as the shipping center gets the item, I am safe.

I have used it a lot as well, but if problem occurs, having a middle man slow things down quite a bit. The part where I can't cancel my shipment to be re-routed 4 business days before it gets to eBay is not the buyers fault.

keewan, I would say a couple things about that. Sadly, when chargebacks are involved, scammers can get away with things like that. I was scammed myself from that once before, and had to complain vocally to a Paypal rep to avoid a fee they were trying to charge me for their handling the chargeback situation, if memory serves. If you had shipped it directly out of the country, you might not have had to eat additional shipping costs. But you would lose the additional protections that Global Priority gives you. I recently had a VERY expensive package go missing en route to another country. I was a bit freaked out. But it was Global Shipping. I made sure it got to the hub in Kentucky, after that, it was the responsibility of the 3rd party. So, the buyer was refunded, and I kept what I was paid. Before that, I was extremely hesitant to ship abroad because eBay/Paypal actually have a pretty vague description of how to protect yourself selling abroad. You have to provide confirmation of delivery, but I'm not totally clear on whether tracking with Express Mail would always be covered or not, or what the other viable options might be. But I never wanted to take that risk after having had packages lost abroad, and reading some horror stories on eBay forums I found through Google searches.

Regarding your case, a couple of things--first, call eBay before 45 days passes (or is it 30?), and let them know the situation. Tell them that the buyer plans to not sign for the package, is filing a chargeback, and that you expect the item to be returned after that period passes. Though they technically don't have to do it, eBay can extend the period that you can be refunded fees in certain cases. And if you make it clear early on what will happen, they might be more likely to do this. You're already going to be eating some shipping costs, so obviously salvaging what you can now would be really helpful. Regarding the package getting to the shipping hub to begin with, instead of contacting eBay, you could have tried USPS package intercept:

https://www.usps.com/manage/intercept-package.htm

For future reference.

You guys give some good tips, Thanks. I worry so much selling on Ebay due to all the scammers. As for what CSI said about getting Seller discount for offering free or reduce shipping, Do you have to be like a powerseller to see these benefits? Ive done free shipping and calulcated shipping, and see the fees as the same.

Ebay isn't dead yet? That's the future MySpace and Facebook.

unetuneb.jpg

;)

Actually, I am currently having pretty bad experience with this. I sold a Mario statue for $1500 a couple weeks ago, I shipped the statue to their Global Shipping center, 6 days later, the buyer claims his 5 year old son accidentally purchased the item and they can't afford it. I said I don't buy his 5 year old son excuse, but if he can't afford it, I will take it back. I called eBay to try to have the statue return to me as it haven't arrived to their Global Shipping center in KY. They said they will have the Global Shipping center contact me in 24-48 hours. I called a couple times again, eBay just said there isn't a number I can call in the shipping department, and shipping will contact me. 6 days later no contact, package have been shipped to Canada.

Mean while, the buyer file a paypal claim, the fund is on hold, so I am down the $50 I spent shipping the item. Buyer said he will refuse the package, since it's coming from eBay, it will go back to eBay instead of me, then eBay will have to figure out why it was send back to them and then return to me. I am pretty sure I will have to pay for them to ship it back to me. Buy the time it comes back, it will be over 30 days, and I would have to pay the $150 selling fee. Since I haven't gotten the item back and can't cancel the transaction. So before I can get my statue back, I will have to fork out $200 + return shipping of my own money. So this is my bad ebay Global Shipping experience for you. I will just decide whether to ship something international myself from now on.

Worst nightmare confirmed, sorry to hear you're going through this. That is a bad joke. Glad I skipped that service every time.

Last edited:
Back