eBay Sniping

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use the Maximum Bid feature, so that you can enter an amount that may be greater than the 'snipers'. :)

That is how auctions work anyway, whoever is the highest bidder gets to buy the items.

If you lose, and you're the 2nd-highest bidder, you can be given an offer to buy the item if the highest bidder does not buy/flake out. :)

it is kinda an unfortunate "flaw" of all auctions, not really an "unfair" flaw, but a flaw IMO. the last person to see the item has the most information to make a choice. the key is to try to be the last person to see the item and thus have the most information to make a decision.

IMG_1250.jpg

it is kinda an unfortunate "flaw" of all auctions, not really an "unfair" flaw, but a flaw IMO. the last person to see the item has the most information to make a choice. the key is to try to be the last person to see the item and thus have the most information to make a decision.
I agree with this. This is related to part of why sniping occurs I think--because people don't just bid what they "think it is worth" and let it ride. If so, sniping wouldn't matter. Instead, people base their value, in some measure, on what others are willing to pay, and people don't often realize how much they are actually willing to pay until it is time to "put up or shut up"--i.e. the end of the auction. This contributes to irrational behavior sometimes, as people get caught up in the moment and bid too much, but at the end of the day, whatever the price gets to, that is how much something is "worth" at a given time.

Another consideration contributing to sniping is that some people who bid will stop watching the auction, and therefore may stop re-upping their bid when they otherwise would, had they kept watching. If someone else bids early in the process, the first bidder may want to keep closer watch over the item as time nears expiring, knowing that someone else thinks the item has value. Thus, they are more likely to engage in last minute bidding. If the first bidder gets complacent, then they are less likely to do this. By waiting until the last few seconds to snipe, you might be able to lull the first bidder (or bidders) into a false sense of security and get a better deal.

I'm a last few seconds bidder myself... I don't use any tools. I just sit at the computer (or have a friend if I'm not available) and I place my max bid.

In my mind this seems to be the way to get the best deal... but doesn't mean I always win. When I don't win its especially annoying as I just wasted a decent amount of time on the endeavor :lol

I'm a last few seconds bidder myself... I don't use any tools. I just sit at the computer (or have a friend if I'm not available) and I place my max bid.

In my mind this seems to be the way to get the best deal... but doesn't mean I always win. When I don't win its especially annoying as I just wasted a decent amount of time on the endeavor :lol

The reason I brought this thread up was because of an auction I recently lost, again to a quick sniper at the end. I posted a few highest bids, back and forth with another buyer, and seemed to hit the high point as the buyer didn't bid anymore after a few times of us out high bidding each other, it seemed to top off at $36 or so.

So for that last day I kept and eye on the item, and it wasn't being outbid, no changes going on, I had my email and text messages set up case it did. Nothing. So about 4 hours before the auction ended, I upped my highest bid to $50 which I felt was a VERY good price for the auction stuff. Good price for both parties involved. Well, I wasn't able to monitor the auction right before it ended, and when I was able to check, I found out I had lost my item. I actually got the email from eBay about not winning the auction, before I got the "outbid" notice. This is what kills me and I don't understand and what seems fishy.

The winner wasn't the other buyer either, it was someone all together different who hadn't placed a single bid at all up to that point, that I could tell.

Oh and the winning bid...$51.00...$1 more than my max...something sure stinks.

I don't have the time nor patience, nor ability to do what sniper software can do, like bidding 8 seconds before an auction ends...I don't know how to do that manually...with my finger and mouse? I can't see a second to second timer for the auction item, can you?

How does one compete with software like that? This is why I asked if it was legal or not, its very similar to how scalpers get awesome tickets and general public doesn't...the software cheats, in my opinion...I don't think its a silly question I just asked, no big deal. If you don't think any "cheating" or "illegal" activity has ever gone on at eBay, then you're mistaken.

But mostly I'm just frustrated with how I keep losing auction items when I feel I've done well up to the end, and have a nice winning bid in place only to lose it in seconds that I have no control over...I guess I just have to sit there till the end and try, and if I lose to 8 second software, I lose...and your talk of "internet speeds" and good "connections" is a joke...please.

I'm not here to argue with you all one way or another, sounds like most of you all disagree with me cause you're all apparently experts at eBay, I'm not.
eBay is what it is, its not where I would go buy a brand new camera or lens, where I wouldn't mind paying "top retail" dollar for it...its FLEABAY, I am on it to find deals...discounts, not top dollar. The price of shipping also affects the max bid price these days, and a lot of the stuff I was looking at had $12-$20 shipping...

Again just venting here, I know it is what it is and if I don't like it don't use it, bla bla bla...thats probably why I rarely do.

Last edited:
How does one compete with software like that? This is why I asked if it was legal or not, its very similar to how scalpers get awesome tickets and general public doesn't...the software cheats, in my opinion...I don't think its a silly question I just asked, no big deal. If you don't think any "cheating" or "illegal" activity has ever gone on at eBay, then you're mistaken.
You compete by entering in a higher price than the guy using the software puts in. Just a matter of when he places his bid. If you thought item X was worth $50 and bid $50, and lost by $1, does it matter if you lost at the last minute or lost with 3 days left?

I don't understand the analogy with ticket scalpers. Getting good tickets right when they go on sale is not akin to winning an auction everyone who wanted to know about could know about and bid on.

Yes, there is software that will bid for you at the last second, but I think the consensus opinion here is that that software is irrelevant if you have a "value" in your mind, bid that value, and let the auction end where it will.

There was an auction that ended recently that I was watching. The item was a "grail" of mine and there were no others like it on eBay at the time. The opening bid was $125 with no bids on it yet. Myself and one other "sniper" bid in the last 5 seconds, he or she bid $200 and I bid $202.22. I went to sleep happy. If I had bid this even 1 minute earlier, it would have given the other "sniper" time to adjust and react. This is why sniping happens.

You compete by entering in a higher price than the guy using the software puts in. Just a matter of when he places his bid. If you thought item X was worth $50 and bid $50, and lost by $1, does it matter if you lost at the last minute or lost with 3 days left?

I don't understand the analogy with ticket scalpers. Getting good tickets right when they go on sale is not akin to winning an auction everyone who wanted to know about could know about and bid on.

Yes, there is software that will bid for you at the last second, but I think the consensus opinion here is that that software is irrelevant if you have a "value" in your mind, bid that value, and let the auction end where it will.

I think they have software out there that examines the "max bid" and just goes $1 higher, so it won't ever matter what "MAX" bid I put on it, their software is always going to beat me, unless in the process I'm able to get that last "max" bid in right as the auction closes, that is my point...

The scalper analogy was only talking about how scalpers software can buy up all the good seats before anyone else can...cause again, its software it does things humans cant. I've been given "presale" codes to buy days before general public and still got crappy seats. Why? Because a scalper got the same "presale" code and still used his software to hog up all the good seats to go buy and scalp.

So I'm just talking about software here, and how it does stuff we can't do...thats all. Again, I don't want to argue.

How do you watch an item down to the last "second" is it on the web site?

I guess if you can't beat'em join'em right?

Last edited:
There was an auction that ended recently that I was watching. The item was a "grail" of mine and there were no others like it on eBay at the time. The opening bid was $125 with no bids on it yet. Myself and one other "sniper" bid in the last 5 seconds, he or she bid $200 and I bid $202.22. I went to sleep happy. If I had bid this even 1 minute earlier, it would have given the other "sniper" time to adjust and react. This is why sniping happens.

It sounds so dirty! :rotfl Like a high-thrills rollercoaster ride of deceit and suspense.

The reason I brought this thread up was because of an auction I recently lost, again to a quick sniper at the end. I posted a few highest bids, back and forth with another buyer, and seemed to hit the high point as the buyer didn't bid anymore after a few times of us out high bidding each other, it seemed to top off at $36 or so.

So for that last day I kept and eye on the item, and it wasn't being outbid, no changes going on, I had my email and text messages set up case it did. Nothing. So about 4 hours before the auction ended, I upped my highest bid to $50 which I felt was a VERY good price for the auction stuff. Good price for both parties involved. Well, I wasn't able to monitor the auction right before it ended, and when I was able to check, I found out I had lost my item. I actually got the email from eBay about not winning the auction, before I got the "outbid" notice. This is what kills me and I don't understand and what seems fishy.

The winner wasn't the other buyer either, it was someone all together different who hadn't placed a single bid at all up to that point, that I could tell.

I don't have the time nor patience, nor ability to do what sniper software can do, like bidding 8 seconds before an auction ends...I don't know how to do that manually...with my finger and mouse? I can't see a second to second timer for the auction item, can you?

But mostly I'm just frustrated with how I keep losing auction items when I feel I've done well up to the end, and have a nice winning bid in place only to lose it in seconds that I have no control over...I guess I just have to sit there till the end and try, and if I lose to 8 second software, I lose...and your talk of "internet speeds" and good "connections" is a joke...please.

I'm not here to argue with you all one way or another, sounds like most of you all disagree with me cause you're all apparently experts at eBay, I'm not.
eBay is what it is, its not where I would go buy a brand new camera or lens, where I wouldn't mind paying "top retail" dollar for it...its FLEABAY, I am on it to find deals...discounts, not top dollar. The price of shipping also affects the max bid price these days, and a lot of the stuff I was looking at had $12-$20 shipping...

Again just venting here, I know it is what it is and if I don't like it don't use it, bla bla bla...thats probably why I rarely do.

I would recommend not bidding until the last 5 seconds (if you're internet connection allows it). Then bid your max, and hopefully you snipe it from someone else.

I think they have software out there that examines the "max bid" and just goes $1 higher, so it won't ever matter what "MAX" bid I put on it, their software is always going to beat me, unless in the process I'm able to get that last "max" bid in right as the auction closes, that is my point...
OK. But isn't it the same as just putting a bid for $500 more than anyone else might be willing to pay? You would still win by $1 no matter what. Unless it is a shill bid, the guy with the software still wants this more than the other guys bidding, and still has to pay the winning amount.

I had no idea people used 'tools' for this sort of thing. Hilarious.

I manually snipe within the last few seconds.

ditto. Bid what your willing to pay in the last few seconds. I usually have the bid typed it , wait until its 16 seconds , click place bid. Then count ten seconds and click confirm bid. By the time it loads and confirms theres about 3 seconds left and by the time the other bidders know it , its already to late.

I do it all the time. I watch the item and if I really want it I know the end time and bid then. Of course, sometimes an item has already gone past what I'm willing to pay so I don't bother. I wait because IMO I'm just driving up the price otherwise.

The $1 thing is what always bothers me. Of course I would be willing to pay $1 over my max! The only reason you would lose out on an item for one lousy dollar is because you were sniped, not because you weren't willing to shell out one more additional dollar. I personally do bid on things at the last minute as well, without any software or anything. Sometimes I still lose out to other snipers out there, and sometimes I may not reach the opposing bidder's max bid. Ultimately what I've learned from Ebay is not to depend on it too much for items and be willing to let things go. Most of the time, the item will come back and you will have another chance to get it.

OK. But isn't it the same as just putting a bid for $500 more than anyone else might be willing to pay? You would still win by $1 no matter what. Unless it is a shill bid, the guy with the software still wants this more than the other guys bidding, and still has to pay the winning amount.

I don't really know how the software works, no clue, just how it "seems" to work, and could be far from right. Guess I just have to be more active when the auction is ending in the last 5 seconds...

Back