ebay recast head seller - question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, there are grey market figures that are still produced in a factory and generally the quality is good... but not as good as the original.

The problem is these same recasts are being sold as originals by less honest sellers, so knowing what to look for is tricky and I suspect it would unwise to buy one of these loose unless it's from someone you know and trust.

I think Head Play used to (or maybe still does) do their own sculpts of famous people or in-demand characters, but they also in the past year or two seem to do copies of HT heads.

Their original sculpts were usually not as good as a HT sculpt, but occasionally they were better in some ways, but more importantly, the paint apps were in the same ball park as what HT heads were - quite good quality. Probably explains why this Luke/Vader looks pretty good for a "custom."

For $40 it's not bad, but it is lacking a lot of depth in the paint and the eyes (really up close) are not as well done. It's solid and fits well if you're looking to do a repaint, which is why i got one.

luke-anh-side-by-side.jpg

There are differences (small) in the hair sculpt. I guess when it's recast they lose a micrometer of detail so the hair looks flatter and the face has less depth.

They get the original head sculpt to recast but the painting is not good ,only get them if the original one is lousy . Some of them look quite decent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For $40 it's not bad, but it is lacking a lot of depth in the paint and the eyes (really up close) are not as well done. It's solid and fits well if you're looking to do a repaint, which is why i got one.

View attachment 247353
Is it just me, or does that recast have a nicer paint job that sideshow's legitimate releases? I mean for a recast, it looks good

Thinking about getting one to replace my Hurrican Vader Luke head..thanks for response. Very helpful!

Most look decent, but not this guy. LOL on the under eye part

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
I love how easily people look the other way to people stealing people work to make a buck.

I love how easily people look the other way to people stealing people work to make a buck.

I get that. I used to torrent a lot of movies (and Napster some music..yeah I'm old). I'm financially beter off now and I just buy/rent movies now (not to mention it's a lot more effort to find a decent copy and forget trying to get into an invitation-only torrent site). However, I did just grab the Harmy ANH but I feel justified in that I've owned 6 different versions/formats of the movie that I paid for.

Same with this. I own the HT ANH Luke, and if HT had offered the head seperately (and remotely reasonably priced), I probably would have bought it from them.

And I mean if you're in this hobby, you can't be TOO concerned about the copyrights of work being that a huge part of it is selling unlicenced character likenesses.

I hope you're including anyone who's buying - or discussing - "intellectual property stolen to make a buck" figures such as "Weapons Advisor" and "Wasteland Ranger."

And there are threads on here dedicated to "custom projects" using recasts involving longtime members (and mods) going back many years. I get your point, I agree in principle, but it's a slippery slope every time this comes up.

One important thing to remember is that some of these recasts can end up smaller than the original and look under scaled on a normal 1:6 body.
I bought one of the MC Toys Aaron Cross Jeremy Renner heads which I believe is a recast of the HT Hawkeye, and the thing is puny, it actually looks 1/6.5 scale.

View attachment 247353

Looks good, is this recast smaller than the original?

Back