Ebay Boycott Feb 18th-25th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Get up to 15% discount on Final Value Fees (or Transaction Service Fees) when you maintain high detailed seller ratings (DSRs) as a US or Canadian PowerSeller on your eBay.com, eBay Motors and eBay.ca sales. These discounts recognize and reward sellers who consistently provide excellent customer service on eBay."

I love how they try and sweet talk us into thinking we are getting a deal somehow. Lets break it down.

To be a power seller you have to have sold at least 100 items with a value of $1000 total in the last 3 months.

For the sake of easy math lets say you sold 100 $10.00 dollar items. To reach that goal ebay would receive $112.00 dollars or 1.12 cents in FVF under the old fee structure for their services in your auctions. (straight auction no picture etc. 5.25% FVF and .60 cent listing fee) Under the new fee structure if you a DSR rating of 4.6 or higher as a power seller you will get a 5% discount on your FVF 4.8 you get 15%. So we sold the the 100 $10.00 widgets under the new program the new fee if your just a regular joe and not a power seller is $142.00 (straight auction no picture etc. 8.75% FVF and .55 cent listing fee) if your a 4.6 dsr or higher it's $138.00 and if your a 4.8 DSR or higher its $129.00 which is still a $17.00 dollar increase in fees if your a top seller etc.

So lets do a compare with a gallery see how they come out.

Listing fee with gallery

Old fees .60 cents listing .35 cents gallery plus 5.25% on a $10.00 dollar item total fees for a successful completed auction $1.47

New fees .55 cent listing fee "free gallery" plus 8.75% on a $10.00 time. Total fees for a successful completed auction $1.42.

One more time with higher numbers a $1,000.00 item rare for SS collectors but not that rare.

Straight auction no bin etc but with gallery assume it's listed for $1000 sells for a $1000 .

Old fees $5.15 for listing with gallery 5.25% of the initial $25.00 = $1.31 plus 3.25% of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 to $1,000.00) = $31.68
Grand total old fees $38.14

New fees 4.00 for listing with free gallery 8.75% of the initial $25.00 = $2.18 plus 3.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 to $1,000.00) = $34.12
Grand total for new fees $40.30

Math is a funny thing isn't it. I wonder how many high priced items sell on ebay a day compared to lower priced items. I bet e-bay knows!

Now with the new feedback system and there being almost no recourse for the seller towards the buyer how many sellers do you think are going to be able maintain the higher level DSR while at the same time dealing with several customers that no longer have the fear of getting a negative for bad behavior. Such as paying late making unreasonable demands etc and they are out there trust me just as many if not more than there are bad sellers. The seller not only has to take into account all of those aspects but also the risk of now getting their accounts flagged by paypal and funds held for 3 weeks is an insane move by paypal and ebay IMO. The increased numbers of Non Paying bidders sellers are going to see scares me.

If there ever was a time for someone to step up with a viable alternative to feebay monopoly. Like Amazon, Overstock, google someone anyone that time is now.

Sorry for the rant I was just crunching the numbers and figured it would make a good post.

Eeek, I guess we will see a LOT more members here with 50 posts now.

:horror :google :horror

the new fee going up just a bit but still some how OK to me, but no feedback for the sellers and paypal holding the fund for 21 days is NO NO.:emperor

Boycott day set on Feb 18th-25th, I am IN.:chew

Count me in on the boycott. I especially DO NOT like Paypal if they will hold my money for 21 days.:monkey4

I can live with the eBay changes, although I don't like them. Paypal holding my money for 21 days, however, is a deal breaker.

I havent been reading too deeply into this, except for Bobs awesome post.

Can someone explain to me what this 21 day hold from Paypal is all about?

Is it anytime someone pays you via Paypal all funds are untouchable for 21 days?

I havent been reading too deeply into this, except for Bobs awesome post.

Can someone explain to me what this 21 day hold from Paypal is all about?

Is it anytime someone pays you via Paypal all funds are untouchable for 21 days?

Here you go:

Safe Payments Requirements
Last January, Bill announced that all new sellers would be required to offer PayPal or a merchant credit card as a safe payment option. This requirement gives buyers a higher degree of protection when transacting with sellers who have little or no track record.

This year we're expanding this requirement to the following sellers:

a small number of sellers who have the worst buyer dissatisfaction rates
sellers with less than 100 feedback
sellers who list in certain categories with higher rates of buyer complaints.
Also, for a small number of these transactions paid with PayPal, when eBay suspects the transaction may result in a dissatisfied customer, PayPal will delay release of the payment funds to the seller until the buyer has left a positive feedback or 21 days have passed without a dispute.
I'd like to put context around this last detail for our good sellers: Sellers with an established track record and more than 95 percent satisfied buyers in the last 30 days will not have funds held. And, sellers on eBay will continue to receive the vast majority of payment funds much faster than other marketplaces.

So if you have less than 100 feedback or are selling an item in a flagged category, there is a chance they will hold your money until you get feedback. If you are a power seller whose feedback is at 95% positive within the last 30 days, you are OK. My question--what happens if you haven't sold anything in the last 30 days?

does boycotting work? remember the recent gas boycott? didn't help anyone there. as i would love to believe that it would work, i don't think it will. like your local water or utility company, there is no one else you can deal with so whether you believe in a monopoly or not, you still get one. in america, our national symbol should be a two headed eagle. :(

does boycotting work? remember the recent gas boycott? didn't help anyone there. as i would love to believe that it would work, i don't think it will. like your local water or utility company, there is no one else you can deal with so whether you believe in a monopoly or not, you still get one. in america, our national symbol should be a two headed eagle. :(

No one else to go with?

Try these:

Ecrater (our best option and darn near free)
https://www.ecrater.com/

Amazon (Amazon is a great price and only gets busier every year)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/seller/se..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07BJS1HQPB2SG15KF9GA

Overstock Auctions:
https://auctions.overstock.com/

No one else to go with?

Try these:

Ecrater (our best option and darn near free)
https://www.ecrater.com/

Amazon (Amazon is a great price and only gets busier every year)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/seller/se..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07BJS1HQPB2SG15KF9GA

Overstock Auctions:
https://auctions.overstock.com/

what are the success rates in getting what you want for that expensive polystone statue on these auction sites? most likely not as good as ebay. unfortunately ebay is a necessary evil and until the weak competition can show some market share, most people won't bother using them. :(

what are the success rates in getting what you want for that expensive polystone statue on these auction sites? most likely not as good as ebay. unfortunately ebay is a necessary evil and until the weak competition can show some market share, most people won't bother using them. :(

I have family that made more money on ecrator and Amazon during Christmas than on ebay. Yeah, they may not be the best places to sell your garage sale junk (Hasbro figures I'm looking at you), but for high end collectibles and LIKE-NEW items you'll make more.

I have family that made more money on ecrator and Amazon during Christmas than on ebay. Yeah, they may not be the best places to sell your garage sale junk (Hasbro figures I'm looking at you), but for high end collectibles and LIKE-NEW items you'll make more.

i'll take a look. thanks.

Back