E-Readers, which one?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which E-Reader do you think is the best?

• Total voters
One of the interesting things that occurs when you deal with mostly digital media and is that when you get in your hands its a much more enriching experiences. For people who go from books to digital it seems like you can't go back, but after dealing with so much digital media throughout my college and post-grad careers, when I finally got a book I was pleasantly shocked. I think you'll create a whole new appreciation for them in the lower educational systems 4-12 begin to really utilize digital opportunities because when they enter college it'll be "Wow...an actual book!" instead of "Oh...another book."

How are you going to do book burnings in the future if they're all digital? Imagine The Book of Eli if he were just carrying a Kindle... ;)

:rotfl

Mass data wipes, of course! In fact, on the Kindle, Amazon will take care of that for you, with or without your permission!

I just bought a Nook. My boss said that I should take it back and she will pay the difference for an iPad.

I think I may just keep them both as it seems from all I've recently read that the Nook is actually better as an e-reader while the iPad will be nice when I travel and want to check email/browse online, etc....

Don't know yet though...may still take the Nook back......

I just bought a Nook. My boss said that I should take it back and she will pay the difference for an iPad.

I think I may just keep them both as it seems from all I've recently read that the Nook is actually better as an e-reader while the iPad will be nice when I travel and want to check email/browse online, etc....

Don't know yet though...may still take the Nook back......

The E ink on the Nook is far superior then the iPad for actual reading. Far less eye strain and it looks like you are reading an actual page. I know you read a good bit. The iPad is great for reading short things such as comics or magazines.

No problems with eye train on my ipad. Is there any empirical proof that shows the ipad causing this?

I don't think so....I mean I can sit at my computer and read for hours on end with no eye strain...so I don't think the iPad would be much different. :dunno

It doesn't matter if I'm reading an actual book, watching tv, on the computer....once my eyes are tired - they are tired and there doesn't seem to be much correlation (for me) between one of those having more of an affect on my eyes than the other.

My only concerns were that:
a) the battery lasts longer on the Nook
b) when the battery does finally die - you can change it yourself on the Nook
c) the Nook is lighter weight
d) the iPad gets pretty warm when being used (my boss has one) - don't know if the Nook does as well or not.

Now on the positive side - there are many good ones in favor of the iPad as far as being able to do a lot more than just read ebooks.

So I think I'll just save myself some $$ and get the iPad and not keep both. I can download the Nook application on my iPad (already have it on my Droid phone) as well as the Kindle app - so I should be able to read most formats of e-books and have a large selection to choose from.

Now if I was paying for this all myself - I would definitely just stick with the Nook - but when I'm able to get an iPad for $150...well, it's hard to say no to that. :lol

No problems with eye train on my ipad. Is there any empirical proof that shows the ipad causing this?

I think it's called common sense. LOL! Does a computer monitor cause more eyestrain then reading a book? Sure it does! Same difference with the iPad VS E-Ink tech.

I think it's called common sense. LOL! Does a computer monitor cause more eyestrain then reading a book? Sure it does! Same difference with the iPad VS E-Ink tech.

I personally get eyestrain on both.....though I do suppose my eyes are more strained after 8 hours on a computer vs maybe 10+ hours reading a book vs around 12+ hours watching tv/playing video games. :lol

I personally get eyestrain on both.....though I do suppose my eyes are more strained after 8 hours on a computer vs maybe 10+ hours reading a book vs around 12+ hours watching tv/playing video games. :lol

You have it down to a science! :rotfl

My wife has been wanting a Kindle for ages, and instead she's getting an iPad for her birthday. Color e-reader plus everything else!

The nice thing about iPad is you can download the Kindle and Nook apps for free and get access to more books. :yess: Though the 10 hour battery life does kind of suck compared to the Nook's and Kindle's.

The nice thing about iPad is you can download the Kindle and Nook apps for free and get access to more books. :yess: Though the 10 hour battery life does kind of suck compared to the Nook's and Kindle's.

Battery life is an issue, but I think that she's going to love it when she starts reading books and watching movies and checking her e-mail and playing Angry Birds, etc.

I think I've seen studies both proving and disproving it.

IMO, it varies from person to person. I can't read for extended periods on a computer or iPad. It really causes me headaches. I have no idea why, but if I had to guess, it's probably the close proximity to a bright light. It doesn't bother some people, and it bothers the hell out of others. And yes, I know about brightness settings. On a lower brightness setting, my eyes struggle harder to read what's on the screen.

If not the light, then perhaps the screen glare could be causing problems for people.

Eyestrain isn't the only factor when comparing a real e-reader to a multi-purpose device like the iPad. On of those factors is weight. For some of us marathon readers, the iPad gets really heavy after a while. The nook and Kindle are super tiny compared to the 1.5 lb "beast". 1.5 lbs doesn't sound like a lot, but over time, especially when you're trying to vege out and relax, it can become a nuisance.

Battery life could be a factor too, but I'm not sure it makes too much of a difference. The iPad's 10 hours should be good enough for anybody, but some people go weeks, some even claim over a month, without needing to charge a Kindle or nook. That's gotta appeal to somebody.

So that's my take on it. This isn't Highlander. There can be more than one right answer to different people's e-reader needs.

^^^yeah that's what I was asking. I got a migraine using my brother's Kindle, but nothing from the iPad. I know it goes both ways, I just wanted to know of there really was a substantial claim that it is causing problems.

Well I got my iPad yesterday. Downloaded the iBook, nook and kindle apps. Now I got a lot of reading to do. :lol So far I really like it - it will be nice to take on trips and leave my laptop at home since I can go online and check email and all that jazz.

If you're just using it to read, go with an old black and white Kindle. The color versions are too hard on the eyes for long length reading. I use my Kindle every night for about an hour or two before bed. The ink technology thingy is the best for reading.

Back