E-Readers, which one?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which E-Reader do you think is the best?

• Total voters
Well I bought me a nook tonight. It is fantastic! It came with the recent software update out of the box. I have been reading Dracula on it for free. Love it! It seriously looks like book! No glare or anything. Not sure what else it can do. All I wanted was a thing I could read books on that wasnt going to hurt my eyes. If you can turn a page faster and instantly start reading before you press the button then good for you. To be honest I'm a slow reader and like to soak everything in. I also love the bottom color touch screen part. No need for an Ipad I dont think. I have my Mac right by where I read. I don't see the point.

Well I bought me a nook tonight. It is fantastic! It came with the recent software update out of the box. I have been reading Dracula on it for free. Love it! It seriously looks like book! No glare or anything. Not sure what else it can do. All I wanted was a thing I could read books on that wasnt going to hurt my eyes. If you can turn a page faster and instantly start reading before you press the button then good for you. To be honest I'm a slow reader and like to soak everything in. I also love the bottom color touch screen part. No need for an Ipad I dont think. I have my Mac right by where I read. I don't see the point.

Congratz!!!! I like real books tho.... cuz i like to see them on my self...makes me feel smart. :eek:

Lol...I felt the same way until I ran out of shelf space. I like the fact that I can have hundreds of books (and magazines) in the palm of my hand.

Yeah I like the fact that I can go to the airport now and not have a book bag full of books and magazines. :lol:rock

Yeah I like the fact that I can go to the airport now and not have a book bag full of books and magazines. :lol:rock

This is what I say to the "why don't you just buy a book?" people. A round trip to from Wisconsin to California usually requires me to bring four books. I would much rather have a nook than a bag full of books (and computer, and DS, PSP, and God knows what else :lol ) Not to mention all the space they take up at home. That's good shelf space that could be used for a statue or action figure, damnit!

I was leaning towards the kindle. From what i understand it has built in internet which is free to go to amazon and download and purchase books. Also if your kindle gets wiped for some reason you can go to your account and redownload the books at no extra charge. The kindle also has deals with many of the top selling authors to be exclusive to the Kindle. We'll see how those deals go. i like the fact that the kindle is a stand alone product so no syncing or cables need to be used.
I haven't checked out the nook yet and to be honest this is the first I am hearing about it. I read a review of the top e-readers and the nook was not on it. Maybe it is newer than the review. Unfortunately I still like the physical book to be on the shelf (and I have tons of shelf space) but the e-reader would be handy when traveling. Nothing wrong with having a physical and virtual copy of the book.

I was leaning towards the kindle. From what i understand it has built in internet which is free to go to amazon and download and purchase books. Also if your kindle gets wiped for some reason you can go to your account and redownload the books at no extra charge. The kindle also has deals with many of the top selling authors to be exclusive to the Kindle. We'll see how those deals go. i like the fact that the kindle is a stand alone product so no syncing or cables need to be used.

The nook comes with built in internet. Regarding the exclusive deal, some publishers pulled their books from the Kindle's library based on a pricing dispute.

I expect things to get ugly between Amazon and Apple, but I haven't heard much complaining by publishers against Barnes and Noble... yet.

I want a nook. :monkey2

The nook comes with built in internet. Regarding the exclusive deal, some publishers pulled their books from the Kindle's library based on a pricing dispute.

I expect things to get ugly between Amazon and Apple, but I haven't heard much complaining by publishers against Barnes and Noble... yet.

I want a nook. :monkey2

Yeah the initial bad reviews about the nook were software issues. As of February 5th they addressed all of them for the most part. If you get one you will not regret it. It seems pricey but damn I think it's pretty nice.

yeah I know that.. but there is an esthetic appeal to reading which comes from owning thousands of those books, holding it in your hands, smelling the paper, etc.... At least that is how reading is for me. I'm no snob though. :lol

yeah I know that.. but there is an esthetic appeal to reading which comes from owning thousands of those books, holding it in your hands, smelling the paper, etc.... At least that is how reading is for me. I'm no snob though. :lol

Go to Starbucks and read your trade paperbacks then you snobby ****** nugget. :lol

yeah I know that.. but there is an esthetic appeal to reading which comes from owning thousands of those books, holding it in your hands, smelling the paper, etc...

...slowly stripping it's dust cover off, licking the binding between the pages, bending it over at a right angle, flipping the pages as fast you can (with a slow tease in the middle)...

...slowly stripping it's dust cover off, licking the binding between the pages, bending it over at a right angle, flipping the pages as fast you can (with a slow tease in the middle)...

Not to mention after youre done reading you can carve yourself out a glory hole or hide contraband in the middle if you are in prison.

Yeah the initial bad reviews about the nook were software issues. As of February 5th they addressed all of them for the most part. If you get one you will not regret it. It seems pricey but damn I think it's pretty nice.

^^^They're still $250 right?? That's not too bad considering the uses you'll get out of it. The iPad $$ is where its steep IMO. But, this is also where I'll justify that price with all the useful functions...which what makes these readers so valuable.

I honestly don't see the appeal of these. I prefer the paper kind. :)

So do I, but to be honest I hardly ever re-read the books that I buy so many just collect dust on my shelf. It is a shame that the education system seems to be making a push to all digital to cut back costs.

As a teacher I disagree. Kids rarely bring their books and most mishandle them once they have them because to them they are just books. They protect their iPods and PSPs though as if their life depended on it. Not to mention we live in a digital age, the schools should be embracing new technology not just glorifying the old. If they could bring the costs of these down and each kid were rented out one or could buy their own, imagine being able to upload whole textbooks and carry just one thing around, novels, manuals, etc. Kids would be able less the amount they'd have to bring and be more interested in the medium as well as the lesson.

Books are antiquated. They are an old medium like newspapers and magazines that need to go the way of the dinosaur. For personal collections fine but for educational purposes we are doing our students a disservice by keeping them in the same line of learning and thinking as was the rage in 1910.

^^^This I agree with, but I was referring to College level. I kept all the books that refer to my major since I still refer to them while working and prefer that it stay this way.

Back