Dye bleed: Whitening fabric and un-dying bodies (not zombies)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natron

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm a superlurker, but I thought I'd send out a pair of questions and see if anyone has advice. I recently got a Medicom Edward Elric figure whose jacket leaked dye all over it. The Magic Eraser was suggested in a different thread, and it worked wonders on the (ABS?) body, but didn't do a thing for the (vinyl?) head. I've been trying benzoyl peroxide on the head (also recommended in another thread). It's been about a week, with no noticeable effect so far, but I'll give it some more time. Here's my first question: Has anyone found another (maybe quicker) method of removing dye from vinyl heads since the other threads were written?

The jacket itself is also problematic. I tried soaking it in vinegar, then washed it a couple of times to set the dye. It seemed to be leaking less, but still leaking. The problem is the white trim on the jacket. With the dye bleeding into it, it's now gray instead of the bright white it should be. I tried using a bleach pen, but it didn't seem to help whiten it at all. Does anyone have an idea of how to get the fabric bright white again? I think watered-down acrylic paint might work, but I'd hate to try that if someone else has done it and knows that it doesn't work (or ruins the jacket).

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Natron

I'm one of those who've posted in the past about vinegar's dye-setting properties; unfortunately it's not a universal effect. It will not help certain fabrics and certain dyes. Start by reading up on dyes, particularly disperse dyes and polyester. Any fabric marked as "microfiber" is actually polyester, and many 1/6 outfits are polyester, because these days it can be made to mimic many fabrics. Only disperse dyes adhere to these synthetics - if you use RIT from the supermarket thinking the piece is cotton, you're going to be frustrated.

If the outfit has been manufactured using the wrong type of dye, it may be possible to remove the old dye and re-do it, but the whole process can be pretty tough on the outfit.

Here's an update: I tried sodium carbonate, which was recommended by someone on the OSW forum as another means of setting dyes. It seems to have done the trick. I soaked the jacket and t-shirt for about half an hour in a couple of cups of water and a teaspoon of washing soda. The water turned gray, but when I rinsed the clothes and let them dry on a paper towel, there is no excess dye seeping into the towel (like there was before). Now I just have to paint the trim back to white.

Vinegar and dish soap didn't do a thing for the dye on the head, but thanks for the idea, Devil_666. I'm trying benzoyl peroxide again, but I've done three applications over about a week and there is no noticeable difference. I think I'll have to paint that too.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Back