DX02 residue in abdominal area, has yours shown signs of it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has your DX02 shown signs of residue buildup in the abdominal area?

• Total voters
I'm not sure I understand. Smearing oil from the abs onto the rest of the figure has somehow put a stop to the leakage from the abs? Why would that be the case?

I'm not sure I understand. Smearing oil from the abs onto the rest of the figure has somehow put a stop to the leakage from the abs? Why would that be the case?

You're right and I don't understand it myself but the distribution of the bulk of the 'oil' from the 'abs' to the rest of the figure is a far healthier alternative to taking it completely away from the figure. As I have said, this has worked for me.

It's not. And I'd worry more about potentially over-saturating other areas. Especially those areas of the suit with the "mesh" paper decals under plastic.

Hey Guys -

My figure was also burdened with this problem but I've come up with an idea, that I'd like to call a solution. This solution has really taken the anxiety away from my display. :)

My Batman was very 'oily' and I was looking for someway to evaporate the oil but also keep the rubber from deterioration. I tried using a hairdryer, on low heat and being extremely careful to not melt or burn the rubber but this seemed to bring more of the 'oil' to the surface. :(

I took my 'Lens Pen': $25.00 and is a fine dusting instrument used for cleaning digital camera screens, and wiped the abs. The shiny finish looks fantastic so I began to give the entire figure the same treatment with the oil that had soaked into the 'Lens Pen'. Gently buffing each part of the figure until a shiny finish had been achieved. :impatient:

The end result is subtle enough but it really does improve the finish of the figure as the oil conceals any fine marks on the armour. The only concern anyone should have after completing this procedure would be the attraction of dust caused by the distribution of the oil but if you keep your collectibles in sealed, dust free, glass display cabinets as I do, you should use this technique. :lecture

To this day no oil has reappeared and the shiny finish I created has not dissipated at all. :yess:

Please Comment - Lt._Aldo_Raine :wave

Sorry man, this sounds crazy. It would be like having a baby that had diarrhea and smearing the entire baby in ____. I just don't see how it can make things better instead of worse.

Got to hand it to, DiFabio. It's a corrosive oil that takes sometime to eat into the rubber coated paint.

It's been discussed to death and endless photos posted on the outcome, here and the main DX02 thread. It does not end well, even for the kevlar decals.

Got to hand it to, DiFabio. It's a corrosive oil that takes sometime to eat into the rubber coated paint.

It's been discussed to death and endless photos posted on the outcome, here and the main DX02 thread. It does not end well, even for the kevlar decals.

I'm trying to help. :thud:

But fair enough, this worked as a solution in my case.

Sorry man, this sounds crazy. It would be like having a baby that had diarrhea and smearing the entire baby in ____. I just don't see how it can make things better instead of worse.

It's not anything like that because the rubber needs the 'oils' chemical compounds to be distributed evenly throughout the rubber in order for it to maintain its elastic properties.

It's not like any of this is going to matter anyway: Did you know that deterioration in rubber is actually a natural process that, to this day, cannot be prevented. The 'oil' that we are seeing on the abs should not be wiped off but wiped back into the surface of the rubber to keep it hydrated.

Not just my opinion by the way.

It's not anything like that because the rubber needs the 'oils' chemical compounds to be distributed evenly throughout the rubber in order for it to maintain its elastic properties.

It's not like any of this is going to matter anyway: Did you know that deterioration in rubber is actually a natural process that, to this day, cannot be prevented. The 'oil' that we are seeing on the abs should not be wiped off but wiped back into the surface of the rubber to keep it hydrated.

Not just my opinion by the way.

The reason the suit is leaking is because the rubber didn't cure long enough. The oil, essentially, needs to return to the exact area it's leaking from. Spreading it around does nothing more than saturate other aspects of the suit that were fine. This has all been discussed ad nauseum in this very thread long before you joined. But if you're content with your suit decomposing faster, more power to ya! :wink1:

The reason the suit is leaking is because the rubber didn't cure long enough. The oil, essentially, needs to return to the exact area it's leaking from. Spreading it around does nothing more than saturate other aspects of the suit that were fine. This has all been discussed ad nauseum in this very thread long before you joined. But if you're content with your suit decomposing faster, more power to ya! :wink1:

Rubber didn't cure? Are you sure about that? If this is true then I'm guessing that you can tell me whether or not is was an RTV Silicone rubber and what kind of catalyst was used? Is it the 12 Shore A Rubber?

My point being my experience with Silicone Rubbers dictates that the de-mould time has nothing to do with the 'oil' that appears on the abs.

The suit is not decomposing so much as it is drying out. The best thing to do is to rehydrate the suit to perfection or allow it to completely dry hard in a fixed position to avoid the crumbling.

Take a look at Ray Harryhausen's Stop Motion Animation Puppets. I know that they are made from Foam Rubber but the natural dehydration process of the rubber is the same and they are the best examples to demonstrate the kind of dehydration I am talking about.

As I have said, wiping away the oil is the worst thing you can do.

So you think rubbing the oil around is the same as chemical and molecular reintegration of the oil particles with the bulk of the rubbers chemical structure?

Thats like squeezing an orange then rubbing the juice back into the skin?

So you think rubbing the oil around is the same as chemical and molecular reintegration of the oil particles with the bulk of the rubbers chemical structure?

Thats like squeezing an orange then rubbing the juice back into the skin?

Yes! It certainty is reintegration but whether it's chemical or molecular reintegration, I'm really not sure. To be honest I don't know what that means.

Technically, the skin of an orange is a totally different substance from the part of the fruit, that is the juice, we actually eat so there is absolutely no comparison to be made.

Can you believe this: Our skin is naturally oily and very comparable to the silicone rubber on the Batman Collectible Figure. If we use harsh soap for an extended period of time, our skin will dry out and begin to crack. At this stage, the only way to prevent this cracking is to rehydrate the skin with some sort of 'baby oil', etc.

So, the only way to preserve any kind of rubber is to rehydrate the surface, allow that to be absorbed and then repeat the process.

As I have said, this has worked for me but if people want to tell me that I'm wrong then the've missed my intention.

I think you are a little bit lolo Aldo.

The chemical breakdown of a substance cannot not be reversed.
Well, not in the way you suggest.

Best of luck with it!
What we have all witnessed on this thread over the last year is the damage to the decals (on chest) that the oil causes. They bubble and peel off. So be prepared for that. Have fun!

FML :gah: this is crazy im gonna start checking my figure on a daily basis (he is still in the box and not on display yet:() anywhooo i have a dx from the dcd batch and nothing still soo i hope i dont share the same fate as some of you......this just really sucks and i feel sorry for the collectors who have an oily figure:(

a friend of mine is bidding on the dx batman, and the seller wont take pics of it up close, and is just telling him not to worry about any leaking because its from " the 2nd batch" but he wont clarify if its a dc direct version. what do you guys think?

Rubber didn't cure? Are you sure about that? If this is true then I'm guessing that you can tell me whether or not is was an RTV Silicone rubber and what kind of catalyst was used? Is it the 12 Shore A Rubber?

My point being my experience with Silicone Rubbers dictates that the de-mould time has nothing to do with the 'oil' that appears on the abs.

The suit is not decomposing so much as it is drying out. The best thing to do is to rehydrate the suit to perfection or allow it to completely dry hard in a fixed position to avoid the crumbling.

Take a look at Ray Harryhausen's Stop Motion Animation Puppets. I know that they are made from Foam Rubber but the natural dehydration process of the rubber is the same and they are the best examples to demonstrate the kind of dehydration I am talking about.

As I have said, wiping away the oil is the worst thing you can do.

I'm not going to repeat the at-length discussion about what's going on with the suit. Spend some time and read the thread to educate yourself about what the issue is. Start the day you joined and work backwards. The suit is decomposing. The rubber wasn't cured for the correct amount of time and is essentially separating at the molecular level which is why you're getting the oily discharge. Pretend all you want. That's what's happening.

a friend of mine is bidding on the dx batman, and the seller wont take pics of it up close, and is just telling him not to worry about any leaking because its from " the 2nd batch" but he wont clarify if its a dc direct version. what do you guys think?

Tell your friend to pass. Not only are douchy sellers (even some members here :tap) selling the first "batch" as DCD to get their money back, and pawn off their leaky Batmans on chumps, but despite that, the DCD run, while losing articulation with the plastic abs, still had leaky biceps and even, in some cases leaky abs.

[QUOTE

Tell your friend to pass. Not only are douchy sellers (even some members here :tap) selling the first "batch" as DCD to get their money back, and pawn off their leaky Batmans on chumps, but despite that, the DCD run, while losing articulation with the plastic abs, still had leaky biceps and even, in some cases leaky abs.[/QUOTE]

yeah i fell like if the seller is too much of a jerk to just take a good pick to verify, than hes prolly lying.

yeah i fell like if the seller is too much of a jerk to just take a good pick to verify, than hes prolly lying.

Yeah, he likely knows what he has and doesn't want to get caught with his pants down. We had a freak here, Johnnyr, who swore his didn't leak and then listed them on ebay as when they started with a guarantee they weren't. I saw several other "reputable' ebay sellers relist their DX02s as "DCD Batch" when they realized theirs weren't selling either.

I was part of the 2nd batch that oozed, two figures. Nearly everyone knows about my story I just can't be bothered to talk about it again as it feels like groundhog day. As they were replaced with the 3rd batch from the partially greatly reduced fixed DCD run.

Back