Dusting Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Loki

Super Freak
Reaction score
With all the great Marvel pieces I have coming, there are going to be some nice pieces without cover until I get another nice case. I haven't really decided if the SW stuff is going to stay in my big case or come out yet but I'm affraid of dust either way.

What are the best tools to combat dust? I don't know if some combination of brushes will work of if there are other things that you use. Any help would be greatly appreciated :duff

does dust really damage the paint on a statue?

TheObsoleteMan said:
Compressed air and a soft paintbrush or makeup brush.

I was thinking about compressed air as well.

What about those pieces that have little cracks and crevices? Would a fine paint brush do the trick in cleaning out those cracks?

nash said:
does dust really damage the paint on a statue?

I don't know about damaging the paint, but it can certainly stay on there and get kinda thick. I have all my GG pieces out and I dust them every couple weeks but it's really only noticable on the bases.

Darth Loki said:
I was thinking about compressed air as well.

What about those pieces that have little cracks and crevices? Would a fine paint brush do the trick in cleaning out those cracks?
Use the compressed air to get rid of the bulk of the dust and then a soft brush for the nooks and crannies.

If you use compressed air you must be careful not to spray too close or you could oxidize the paint. Use a tube over the nozzle for spraying in nooks and crannies.

Darth Loki said:
Where would one get a soft, cotton, dusting cloth?

I buy them at Target in the cleaning supplies section, they come 2 to a pack. If you can't find any let me know and I'll send you some.

I use a make up brush mostly and follow up with the compressed air where needed. Sadly I'm way behind in my dusting, I used to do it every week, but not I haven't done it for three. :( Hopefully it won't mess them up in the long run...

Darth Loki said:
Where would one get a soft, cotton, dusting cloth?

ss3020ez6.jpg

:lol:lol

I think Sideshow has something concerning the care of collectibles under the 'Ministry of Information' section. From memory it states that dust does absorb nasties, like moisture etc and, over time, will affect your items, as does light.

Those Swiffer dusters. I have wondered about them. Do they have a chemical coating? What makes them work? Is it statically charged? I think they may do more harm if they are chemically coated. If they are statically charged they ought to pick up most of the dust, but you would still need to give it a proper going over with air or brushes.

The ill Jedi said:
I buy them at Target in the cleaning supplies section, they come 2 to a pack. If you can't find any let me know and I'll send you some.

Thanks for the offer, I'm sure I can find them next time I'm at Target.

Thanks for all the input fellas.

I hit the figures and statues with compressed air, and the shelves with the Swiffer duster. As far as i can tell, there's no coating on the duster, just a static charge.

creecher said:
Those Swiffer dusters. I have wondered about them. Do they have a chemical coating? What makes them work? Is it statically charged? I think they may do more harm if they are chemically coated. If they are statically charged they ought to pick up most of the dust, but you would still need to give it a proper going over with air or brushes.

^ What Kabukiman said.
The dusters simply picks up dust by static charge and does not leave a residue behind. They work great on electronics too.

Back