Dune Part Two (October 20th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally watched Dune 2.

I started by re-watching Dune 1. Man. That's a good-ass movie. The ultimate Dune movie in my heart is still the unmade masterpiece by Jodorowsky, and I think a lot of elements in these movies are similar, so it's fun to pretend that we're really watching Jodorowsky's Dune finally come to life. The Harkonnens designs and their music, and the Sardakour chant were my favorite parts.

I also really loved the sound design when they used "The Voice." Great effect!!

It had the same feel as Kill Bill 1 at the end...satisfying to a point, but you know you've just watched half a movie.

OK....now Part 2.....

I was pretty bored, to be honest. It was just....boring. All the world building was already in place but it felt like we were just treading water for 2 hours til we got to the finale.

Zendaya. In real life, she's fine as hay-eeeelllll. Especially when she's wearing goofy stuff like that C-3PO outfit. But she was unbearable in this movie. Just scowl, scowl, scowl. Was the only time she smiled in the visions Paul had in the first movie? Come on Zendaya....lighten up, Francis.

I also thought Florence Pugh was an odd casting choice. She sounds like she has an at-least two packs a day smoking habit.

I guess my favorite part was the Harkonnen planet, again for the set and costume design, as well as the ominous music. Going into black and white was a nice touch.

I found the ending jarring this time. I thought Part 2 was gonna be it. But clearly there's more. I didn't appreciate the abrupt ending.

Huh.

I don't know. It was OK. Part 1 was better. This was....dull. Tedious. Drawn out.

I also watched Sicario again before this viewing, and that was way better than both of these put together. Incredible mastery of creating tension. I think this Denis guy just might have "the goods" to make it in this crazy business.

I did the same - watched 1 the day before 2, and felt a lot like you did on the first viewing of 2, but something kept drawing me back (probably because I like 1 so much) and it does get better (and worse) with more viewings. Maybe give it another go?

But the "Chani scowl problem" only gets worse and worse with each viewing, yet the abrupt ending doesn't bother me as much as it did on first viewing (I was furious :ROFLMAO:) as I thought it was going to wrap it up as well.

the "Chani scowl problem" only gets worse and worse with each viewing

Chani - mad, sad, happy.jpg

Back