DST gets Star Wars License.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its funny that they call this product '' Ultimate quarter scale ''. Like it or not, they definitely are trying to take some of Sideshows market of the PF by offering articulated 1/4 figures with a lesser price.

The Worm speaks the truth. Despite what they will say publicly, Sideshow can't be happy about this. I agree with everyone here that the Sideshow stuff is of superior quality, but this just continues a trend where Star Wars "stuff" saturates the market.

I think at the price point they will have a certain amount of success, looks like they will be $75 each, you get what you pay for, but I think it's too early to completely write off the whole line, there other sculpts could be much better.

Its funny that they call this product '' Ultimate quarter scale ''. Like it or not, they definitely are trying to take some of Sideshows market of the PF by offering articulated 1/4 figures with a lesser price.

But, they are calling them "Ultimate Quarter Scale" Figures. Not statues. So, it's a different market. Pretty sure that's what Lucas allowed them to license. And, Sideshow is sold out of Old Ben, so why should they give a flying f'k either way? The people who buy PF are not interested in them (that should be obvious from the posts here). As you pointed out, they are the "poor man's" PF so they aren't even a ding on the SSC radar.

DST has always had problems with faces, but make nice armored/ helmet based figures. You give me an articulated 18inch Vader or Fett with well sculpted masks and outfits and I am all over them.

And this is a proto. I can imagine the production piece will look MUCH worse in all categories.

Anyone else getting that 1995 Star Wars feeling? Lots of people making mediocre Star Wars merch. Hell, SSC and Hasbro are doing AMAZING work with their pieces. Why do we need DST to flood the market with crap?

Wow, looks... :rolleyes:

But don't worry guys... if 18" tall figures aren't your thing just wait for the 1/3 scale figures :google

Star Wars fans have more to be excited by though; including a parallel line of one-third scale roto-cast figures which is also projected for a summer launch.

Yeah, Obi-Wan is nothing to write home about, but if they come out with a decent 1:4 scale articulated Stormtrooper (or any other armored character) and keep the price around $75, I might have to pick one up just for kicks...

as others have said, they are for a completely different markets - but armoured figures will get a lot of people's attention.

Something that will be a deciding factor for me is what they're calling super poseable. If they have articulation equivalent to SST bodies then I'd definitely consider it after seeing the rest of the lineup but more times than not when a manufacturer says "super poseable" or "hyper poseable" it's anything but.

0012892.jpg

Wow...that looks craptacular...

Wow...that looks craptacular...
I thought it looked quite good, until I got the Sideshow one off the shelf. Nowhere near as good as Sideshow's. Whilst I think these will be aimed at a totally different market, it'll be interesting to see if they manage to get Armoured Characters out before Sideshow. Might give Sideshow the kick up their arse they need.:rolleyes:

I would be tempted by a giant Vader if it looked good. That'd be about it. I don't have the room quiet frankly for a bunch of 18" and 24" figures. But maybe having a huge Vader would be fun.

Its really an odd choice of scale since the gold standard for collectible action figures is 1/6. I guess they just figure that if its SW it will make money.

I do have to say for about 1/2 second when I first read this I was afraid Sideshow had lost the 1/6 license to DST... that would have be a tragedy. Complain all you want about figures being too expensive, not accurate enough or too many Lukes.

Who would want them if they looked like this :google
(although I'm still hopeful for the DST Star Trek line :monkey2)
review_1224_10.jpg

I think the sculpt is pretty good, but the head placement on the neck is awkward. The placard has the price - looks like either $75.00 or $175.00 if they aren't using a "$". I probably won't get the SW ones of these, but I'm holding out that the Trek are decent.

Back