Dr. Doom Legendary Scale Figure - order now from first post!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Dr. Doom LSF!

And to just talk about the actual product for a sec, this LSF is stunning!!! It's a gorgeous piece. I cannot fit a 4' tall statue in my collection, nor would I justify spending 2K on any collector.

But if I did I think it's the finest LSF I've seen.

You collect collectors? WOW!

Ski

Exactly. There is a reason why many people flocked to Sideshow about 7 years ago from lesser/cheaper hobbies. There was an understanding that these pieces were collectible. They were of high quality and worth spending up to $300 for them. Crazy, uh? Dudes that collected Legos, action figures, mini-busts, etc. all of the sudden moving up to pieces that costs hundreds. Why? the aftermarket proved that these things were fun, well made and retained/increased in value. That's how Sideshow became who they are today.

The amount of people that let Sideshow off the hook in this and other threads due to their excitement is surprising. Collect what you like and not worry about what's under the base because your other choice is not to buy it? That's admitting that as a consumer they are not offering the same value proposition anymore and some feel a bit ripped off in that. Particularly long term customers and supporters of the Sideshow brand/sculptors/culture.

These items are cool and fun, but let's keep it real. An edition size should be demanded when you spend this much. Even when you spend $400 for a PF. It shouldn't be "nice" if Sideshow does you a "favor" to give you one. That to me is a requirement at these prices and more so for a company that sells collectibles. It should be demanded whenever something you want from Sideshow is offered.

My thoughts exactly. That's why I choose to vote with my wallet and don't buy open ES.

I rarely post on this forum but here is my humble opinion on the matter....

Clearly an Edition Size would be nice, but if they put an edition size they would just encourage dealers to hoard the statues and force values to skyrocket. A few benefit while those who wanted one who might not have been lucky enough to get one during the initial sale lose out.

In the sense with how it is now, anyone who wants one can get one. No dealer will hoard them because its not worth it when sideshow can just make more. It greatly benefits the collector and discourages the dealers/hoarders.

In the end the target audience who are the collectors are the true winners. And honestly I don't think sideshow will make these forever. At some point they will stop. Not everyone can afford or justify blowing $2,000 on a statue.

I'm going to get one because its just epic. Edition size or not. I like it for what it is, not for how much $$$ it can make me. The true fan & collector will appreciate the real value of the piece for how happy it makes them. ;)

Exactly. There is a reason why many people flocked to Sideshow about 7 years ago from lesser/cheaper hobbies. There was an understanding that these pieces were collectible. They were of high quality and worth spending up to $300 for them. Crazy, uh? Dudes that collected Legos, action figures, mini-busts, etc. all of the sudden moving up to pieces that costs hundreds. Why? the aftermarket proved that these things were fun, well made and retained/increased in value. That's how Sideshow became who they are today.

The amount of people that let Sideshow off the hook in this and other threads due to their excitement is surprising. Collect what you like and not worry about what's under the base because your other choice is not to buy it? That's admitting that as a consumer they are not offering the same value proposition anymore and some feel a bit ripped off in that. Particularly long term customers and supporters of the Sideshow brand/sculptors/culture.

These items are cool and fun, but let's keep it real. An edition size should be demanded when you spend this much. Even when you spend $400 for a PF. It shouldn't be "nice" if Sideshow does you a "favor" to give you one. That to me is a requirement at these prices and more so for a company that sells collectibles. It should be demanded whenever something you want from Sideshow is offered.

Sideshow Collectibles should change their name to just Sideshow Statues then... :rotfl

I can only give you my opinion Asdf, as i'm sure everyone is different, but for me the LSF's are awesome! Its something that you'll only experience when you literally have it infront of you rather than just looking at the pictures. I had the Wolverine PF but sold mine way before i purchased the Wolvie LSF, i actually didnt like the PF very much inhand which was a shame as i went through hell to get the Exclusive! :( Still, the LSF is without doubt the definitive Wolvie collectable so i'm happy. You definately need space if your displaying them all in one room :lecture having just the on LSF really wouldnt take up that much space i dont think...its when you become addicted to the scale that you start purchasing your second and third LSF when it gets a bit cramped! :lol

Thanks Roberto, I agree the LSF Wolv is the best to date and the Wolv PF looks a bit errr... Now to convince my wife LSF is a nice addition to the interiors of the house :pray:

Btw where do you guys display your LSF, in living room, tv area, private room full of statues, or bedroom :lol?

I rarely post on this forum but here is my humble opinion on the matter....

Clearly an Edition Size would be nice, but if they put an edition size they would just encourage dealers to hoard the statues and force values to skyrocket. A few benefit while those who wanted one who might not have been lucky enough to get one during the initial sale lose out.

In the sense with how it is now, anyone who wants one can get one. No dealer will hoard them because its not worth it when sideshow can just make more. It greatly benefits the collector and discourages the dealers/hoarders.

In the end the target audience who are the collectors are the true winners. And honestly I don't think sideshow will make these forever. At some point they will stop. Not everyone can afford or justify blowing $2,000 on a statue.

I'm going to get one because its just epic. Edition size or not. I like it for what it is, not for how much $$$ it can make me. The true fan & collector will appreciate the real value of the piece for how happy it makes them. ;)

Megatron and LSF reaper both have ES's. Do you see those flying off the shelves from flippers and dealers trying to "hoard" them?

What they are priced at stops most flippers from even attempting aquiring these....why?....because they are not quick sells and the margins are two low to make a profit off of. Look at CM which are in my opinion a league above the LSF line for roughly the same price. They have set editions and are numbered, do you see those flying off the shelves? Why aren't flippers taking advantage of those being so "limited"? The CM predator was in production for almost 2 years before it sold out. Plenty of time for anyone that wanted one to buy it. It's a total waste of time for flippers to try and house these pieces and will only be able to sell it locally. You know how much it would cost to ship a box the size of Doom or Megatron to Canada from a private seller? I'm guessing $300-$400+. The buyers pool has now shrunk down even further once they have to consider shipping rates are no where near what SS offers.

The folks buying into the $2000 "price" is a limited "collectors" market therefore no need for ES's are fooling themselves into buying their own excuses. CM predator, terminator, T-800 ect all selling for well over $2000-$3000+ in the aftermarket these days. Then you have the 1:2 Ironman, LSF predator still selling for just retail (sometimes a lot less) after they have sold out. What does that tell you?

Follow me carefully, I'm not implying to ONLY purchase high price items with intention to flip them for a profit later. I am saying if you are going to invest in a line such as the LSF line, are you prepared to potentially lose a substantial portion of $2000 just to get your "it's cool, I want it" fix? You start adding up the average losses you will take ($300-$500+) with just 3 LSF's you could almost buy another LSF. Who in their sane mind is ok losing that sort of money? Even for the collectors financially able to spend these amounts without a thought would not be so stupid to throw away that sort of money.

Add to it the fact SS still controls the value of your investment well after you bought it, what is the point of buying? These aren't $300-$400 statues where you may take a $70-$100 loss. We are talking THOUSANDS in losses. Let that resinate in your brain for a minute. Who in this hobby considers this acceptable or enjoyable?

What's worse is that enough people condition themselves that spending this kind of money is "ok" they alienate the rest of the collecting community in also having to accept SS's terms. Jerry from PCS just said the other day prices in china are going up for all companies across North America THIS year. How would you feel about the LSF line when prices start reaching the $3000 mark at SS? How do you feel about potentially losing $1000 instantly after buying a LSF? You can't treat these as normal commodities that you take losses on like TV's, phones, PC's, cars ect. Because no one buys new TV's, cars or computers every few months like people collect statues.

SS is pricing and absorbing these statues at secondary market prices for their benefit only, not the collector. And while I understand they are a business trying to survive they have to be able to put out products customers can get behind. The reason a lot of people aren't complaining about what I'm talking about here is because the LSF line and market are relatively new still and SS hasn't released much yet. But I guarantee you when collectors with huge LSF collections starts taking huge losses they will finally understand. Those who don't listen, feel. As they say.

It's true I have a lot of LSF pieces. The difference is I don't pay retail for them if they are open edition. In some cases I've paid $500 less than retail, which means on a bad day at the very least I will break even on my investment if I needed to liquidate for any reason. I only pay retail for items with ES's, it's very simple. You know why wealthy people stay wealthy? Because they're very good at managing their money. What I see here by most people is a complete disregard and lack of respect for money. It just blows my mind what people are willing to overlook to get something that "looks cool" for temporary pleasure which fades a week after having the statue on display.

Collect smart and demand more :peace

Chris

Last edited:

Thanks Roberto, I agree the LSF Wolv is the best to date and the Wolv PF looks a bit errr... Now to convince my wife LSF is a nice addition to the interiors of the house :pray:

Btw where do you guys display your LSF, in living room, tv area, private room full of statues, or bedroom :lol?

Your welcome my friend :1-1: i really cant see any other Wolvie statue beating the LSF at this moment in time as the definitive Wolvie collectiable. Despite it being an LSF and due to his leaning forward stance, the Wolvie LSF is still a lot smaller than your regular LSF's like the Iron Man MKIII LSF or the Darth Maul LSF, etc...so you can add that point of reference to your wife when trying to twist her arm! :lol:wink1:

Well my current situation is that i have been looking for a larger family home due to having a second child and also adding a multitude of collectibles :slap so i'm currently storing about 80% of my collection in their respective shipping boxes including the Wolvie LSF. However, i do have my Iron Man LSF on display as i'm currently in the process of building a display case for him so it gives me an excuse to tell my wife why it's still out of the box! :lol :yess:

But yes, eventually i will be displaying all my LSF's in a self made mancave, whether that will be a basement or loft conversion or just a spare room we'll have to see :)

Megatron and LSF reaper both have ES's. Do you see those flying off the shelves from flippers and dealers trying to "hoard" them?

What they are priced at stops most flippers from even attempting aquiring these....why?....because they are not quick sells and the margins are two low to make a profit off of. Look at CM which are in my opinion a league above the LSF line for roughly the same price. They have set editions and are numbered, do you see those flying off the shelves? Why aren't flippers taking advantage of those being so "limited"? The CM predator was in production for almost 2 years before it sold out. Plenty of time for anyone that wanted one to buy it. It's a total waste of time for flippers to try and house these pieces and will only be able to sell it locally. You know how much it would cost to ship a box the size of Doom or Megatron to Canada from a private seller? I'm guessing $300-$400+. The buyers pool has now shrunk down even further once they have to consider shipping rates are no where near what SS offers.

The folks buying into the $2000 "price" is a limited "collectors" market therefore no need for ES's are fooling themselves into buying their own excuses. CM predator, terminator, T-800 ect all selling for well over $2000-$3000+ in the aftermarket these days. Then you have the 1:2 Ironman, LSF predator still selling for just retail (sometimes a lot less) after they have sold out. What does that tell you?

Follow me carefully, I'm not implying to ONLY purchase high price items with intention to flip them for a profit later. I am saying if you are going to invest in a line such as the LSF line, are you prepared to potentially lose a substantial portion of $2000 just to get your "it's cool, I want it" fix? You start adding up the average losses you will take ($300-$500+) with just 3 LSF's you could almost buy another LSF. Who in their sane mind is ok losing that sort of money? Even for the collectors financially able to spend these amounts without a thought would not be so stupid to throw away that sort of money.

Add to it the fact SS still controls the value of your investment well after you bought it, what is the point of buying? These aren't $300-$400 statues where you may take a $70-$100 loss. We are talking THOUSANDS in losses. Let that resinate in your brain for a minute. Who in this hobby considers this acceptable or enjoyable?

What's worse is that enough people condition themselves that spending this kind of money is "ok" they alienate the rest of the collecting community in also having to accept SS's terms. Jerry from PCS just said the other day prices in china are going up for all companies across North America THIS year. How would you feel about the LSF line when prices start reaching the $3000 mark at SS? How do you feel about potentially losing $1000 instantly after buying a LSF? You can't treat these as normal commodities that you take losses like TV's, phones, PC's, cars ect. Because no one buys new TV's, cars or computers every few months like people collect statues.

SS is pricing and absorbing these statues at secondary market prices for their benefit only, not the collector. And while I understand they are a business trying to survive they have to be able to put out products customer can get behind. The reason a lot of people aren't complaining about what I'm talking about here is because the LSF line and market are relatively new still and SS hasn't released much yet. But I guarantee you when collectors with huge LSF collections starts taking huge losses they will finally understand. Those who didn't listen, feel. As they say.

It's true I have a lot of LSF pieces. The difference is I don't pay retail for them if they are open edition. In some cases I've paid $500 less than retail, which means on a bad day at the very least I will break even on my investment. I only pay retail for items with ES's, it's very simple. You know why wealthy people stay wealthy? Because their very good at managing their money. What I see here by most people is a complete disregard and lack of respect for money by collectors. It just blows my mind what people are willing to overlook to get something that "looks cool" for temporary pleasure which fades a week after having the statue on display.

Collect smart and demand more :peace

Chris

Hey Chris, totally get your points now after our massive debate of yesterday where filip kind of explained where you were coming from and have to say that it made quite an interesting discussion as i now try to see it from your point of view.

I also remember you saying a while back that you have quite a few of these open ES LSF's in your collection but that you didnt pay the full retail price on them so i can back you up on that :hi5:

I still think its a case of preference when spending 2k on an LSF. Some people will have a problem with and some wont. Me personally, although i agree that the majority of the LSF's are overpriced, what can i do? If its a piece i want in my collection i'm going to have to buy it...however, i think we all have a limit and it would seem that 2k is the going cost for an LSF these days but if it were to increase then that would price me out and i think Sideshow are aware of this hence why everyone was shocked at the Doom LSF being priced at 2k and not $2500 which alot of us expected...

Kind of disagree on your comment in regards to losing your viewing pleasure on a particular item after a week. I dont seem to have this issue with my collection. I still stare in amazement at the pieces i have on display (allbeit only 20% of my collection is on display at present) but i love each and every piece and never get tired of looking at them

Last edited:

@ATHERIS @solidfox

did you guys discussing about either the price or ES back then u know like in the 2000ish?

its like everytime SS publish a statue the first thing people ask is what is the ES? wassap with the price hike?
i am relatively new in collecting statue but it seems people more passionate with their collection if its limited . and tbh i dont find it anymore in statue particularly from SSC.

that´s the point ,which expected price range ?

quality from SS offers in a LSF is much superior than the quality of a custom, 99% people here are have normal income,
we dont have a great economy in our pockets or luck that our daddy give to us the figure we want,
I dont earn more than $ 1,000 a month and I have to be realistic with this

I don´t think two years from here doom LSF will cost $ 500 less, dont think that will be 20 lsf on the market of every marvel character or character repeat (except iron man :rotfl)

they dont manufacture about people says on the forums, they manufacture in relation to films that are released and sold comic books, is pure marketing

being rich is not immune to having bad taste

Last edited:

@ATHERIS @solidfox

did you guys discussing about either the price or ES back then u know like in the 2000ish?

its like everytime SS publish a statue the first thing people ask is what is the ES? wassap with the price hike?
i am relatively new in collecting statue but it seems people more passionate with their collection if its limited . and tbh i dont find it anymore in statue particularly from SSC.

Sideshow was a different company back then. Thursday nights were exciting as there would be a steady flow of cool announcements and the possibility of limited items being made available if you were there and ready. It was expected for items to be limited so ES was rarely an issue. Prices were a lot more reasonable and the quality of the casting was better as well (more heavy solid pieces).

The scramble to get a 'limited edition' piece before it sold out was a buzz never to be had again.
It takes months to release the ES now, if there is one.

Funny, but having gone back and read many an old thread, it was still the same arguments though, price, quality, how many made. Just different posters (a few still around).

Wildly interesting discussion!

I think the main reason that SS favors open ES isnt necessarily to ramp up the production again (though all signs point to them doing that with Wolverine once sales spiked again on the fake sellout), but so they dont artificially set the ES too low. I believe they have some kind of computer algorithim that helps in setting this based on the number of orders over a certain time, and when that dwindles, ES announced, final number set. Problem is lots of factors can change that over time. You think they wouldnt love to have had another couple thousand EX Jokers?

Open ES takes all the guesswork out of it for SS.

One thing that I think Atheris is not quite giving credit for though is the Flex Pay option. While everything SS makes is a luxury, there is still a set limit that most people are comfortable blowing on themselves a month no matter what they make. That Flex pay makes this a more paleatable purchase for many. (Also puts it in reach of people that spend 20% of their yearly income on 1 luxury purchase after shipping, but thats another topic).

All that said, this is a remarkable piece. The extras you get, it is just a gem. I dont think the asking price is out of line at all. In fact, if it had a number, would anyone think so? Could they reasonably have asked for $2500 and gotten it by numbering it?

I like doom. this is the best representation of him ever made. I want it.

I can get it from an AD for MSRP in Canadian funds when everything is said and done.

Or I can wait (god knows how long) and try and get one in the aftermarket for a cheaper price (and all the headaches potentially associated with purchasing a used piece) and then also have to deal with a high shipping cost and taxes.

which would you choose?

I like doom. this is the best representation of him ever made. I want it.

I can get it from an AD for MSRP in Canadian funds when everything is said and done.

Or I can wait (god knows how long) and try and get one in the aftermarket for a cheaper price (and all the headaches potentially associated with purchasing a used piece) and then also have to deal with a high shipping cost and taxes.

which would you choose?

I dont think anyone is wrong for wanting it. I dont think anyone has argued that. The only argument is that if SS wants to charge these prices for collectibles, they have to be numbered.

Doesnt make it less desirable. Less valuable maybe, but not less desirable.

Back