Doing some R&D on custom Acrylic cases and would like some thoughts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Station

Super Freak
Reaction score
I recently started up an engraving business in my home town. I took it over after the previous owner decided to retire. That, coupled with my background in graphic design, love for all things collctibles and a freakin sweet CO2 laser engraving machine got the wheels turning. I could never afford really cool custom cases, but now I can make them, plus, I can engrave anything I want into the acrylic!! Here are some shots of the first test run, I'm waiting for some glue to arrive so I can put it all together.

Here's the front:
picture.php

And the two sides:
picture.php

picture.php

Eventually they'll go on a nice wooden base, but the ultimate goal is to edge light them so whatever is engraved will light up! Let me know what you think.

Well, i'd be lying if I said i didn't think i'd find some interest on here :D. The only thing that i think will pose a problem for the lighting will be making a base that can house all the electronics, but I'm working on it. I'm going to try and make them as cost effective as possible, but once i'm confident and if there's enough interest, I'll start an official thread for sure.

That 'Predator' case looks fantastic.

Do you think you might make cases without the lighting feature?

Also, can you do the laser engraving for just about any type of logo (like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Metal Gear etc.)?

Cheers,
Rob.

Well, i'd be lying if I said i didn't think i'd find some interest on here :D. The only thing that i think will pose a problem for the lighting will be making a base that can house all the electronics, but I'm working on it. I'm going to try and make them as cost effective as possible, but once i'm confident and if there's enough interest, I'll start an official thread for sure.

I'm interested for some horror logo cases. Michael Myers, Freddy, Jason, Leatherface.

Looks awesome so far.

That 'Predator' case looks fantastic.

Do you think you might make cases without the lighting feature?

Also, can you do the laser engraving for just about any type of logo (like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Metal Gear etc.)?

Cheers,
Rob.

Absolutely, lighting is just one feature. I wanted to work up acase for myself first that has every option available, but the options would be plain acrylic, acrylic with base, acrylic with lit base, etc. The possibilities are limitless. As far as what can be engraved, the sky's the limit. Later today I should have this one put together to show you guys and I'll Starr an official thread.

Last edited:
Can you engrave other materials/shapes as well? I might have need in the near future...

Sweet theres so much variety you can do with acrylic, full boxed in cases or even just figure stands/raised platforms and smaller nameplate holders, or even custom holders for 1:1 replicas. Those with nice engraving on would be awesome :banana Do you think you can do coloured engraving easily enough?

Yeah, colored lettering on clear is no problem. we're a full service engraving shop, so we can do pretty much anything. If you have an idea, just shoot me a pm and i'll be able to tell you if we can do it or not, but custom stuff and out there ideas are always welcome, we like to expand our horizons as far as what we offer. as far as materials are concerned, we can cut plastic acrylic and wood up to certain thicknesses and we can engrave metal but we can't laser cut it into custom shapes, only square or rounded corner for name plates. like whats on the bases that come with the Joker DX

Thanks for the kind words guys. I was hoping that the acrylic glue would come today, but it looks like its scheduled for tomorrow's shipment so I should have a completed case by the end of the day to show you guys.
Hi, this could be a new side line for your business, i know i would love a few if the price is reasonable, keep us posted, great work.

I'm hoping so. This has been a great forum to be a part of my short time here and I'm glad that i can try and offer something to you guys that will make your collections that much more awesome. I know from first hand experience that good displays are something that every collector wants, but few can afford, so I'm going to try and keep it as competitive as possible and offer up some choices at different ranges. Plus, it'll give me something to show off in the shop! The previous owner pretty much did standard trophies and plaques, so we're hoping to expand to new horizons. Like i said, if you think there's something we might be able to make for you, even if its not a display case, don't be afraid to ask, it's what we do!

picture.php

OK, so here it is all together. Not too bad, there are a few kinks to work out and i think using a thicker material will make it easier. Thicker material is more expensive though, so i'm going to work a little bit to find a good middle ground. Sorry about the pics with the pred inside, the case is a little finger-printy, i couldn't wait to take pics!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

A little Update for you guys. Made a case for the joker. The front side has the joker written on it and the back has a joker face so when you look at it, it looks like a joker card.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And, the lights finally came in!!! Here's an early test:

Before
picture.php

And AFTER!!!!
picture.php

I'm working out the base for lit cases, but unlit cases with the engraving will be ready to go soon. The way i'm designing the lit base though, you can always add it on later, it doesn't have to be done at the same time.

Back