Does this head look legit or a knockoff?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this head sculpt look like it's legit or a knockoff? I got this and was told it was authentic, but I'm not sure. Would it say Hot Toys any where?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMO This is definitely an authentic Hot Toys head. The knock offs have quite a prominent mould seam that runs vertically through the middle of each of her buns.

I think - knockoff. I have two. Little bit different but both good
View attachment 479478
View attachment 479479
Nefer-Ra, Can you show us pictures of the mold seem that Adam1183 is talking about.

I reached out to my buddy I gifted my new hope Leia to to ask him to give me pics of the legit Leia head for comparision.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think - knockoff. I have two. Little bit different but both good
View attachment 479478
View attachment 479479

Those apps don't look quite as good as the sculpt in question. The skin and lips in particular. Those I would have immediately guessed as knockoffs, even though they are very solid apps.

And yet you posed the question on whether its real or not. :lol

If it looks good what does it matter?

That said, your sculpt looks a bit narrow to be authentic ANH Leia. Its possible its your camera warping her face.

View attachment 479544

It definitely looks like some lens distortion in the OP pic.

Yeah... but how do you get the buns angle downward like that from warping? Its like the camera lens is narrowing a lot at the bottom of the photo, slimming the jawline and pulling in the buns at an angle.

Trick camera to make girls appear thinner, no doubt.

Interesting - yeah the one in the OP doesn't have that mold seam line.

But as I said, the apps on the knockoffs are nice, but they are pretty clearly not at the same level as the one in the OP.

My vote is authentic. Look at the eyes with a magnifying glass and compare it to official HT figs. No one can do eyes the way HT does because the tech is borderline proprietary. From my understanding the machine that does it US sourced.

You'll be able to tell if it's a KO based on the quality/eye similarity to any HT fig.

My vote is authentic. Look at the eyes with a magnifying glass and compare it to official HT figs. No one can do eyes the way HT does because the tech is borderline proprietary. From my understanding the machine that does it US sourced.

You'll be able to tell if it's a KO based on the quality/eye similarity to any HT fig.
My friends wife does them just like hot toys if not better (I say better) By hand. Lol there are other artists out there that can do it. Oh yah and hot toys has stated each piece is done by hand. The 'tech' you speak of is human ingenuity. I'm sure there's no patent on that.

My friends wife does them just like hot toys if not better (I say better) By hand. Lol there are other artists out there that can do it. Oh yah and hot toys has stated each piece is done by hand. The 'tech' you speak of is human ingenuity. I'm sure there's no patent on that.

Do you have pics of your wife's work? Does she use decals for the irises? I think all HT eyes have always had decals.

I do winder how your wife could do eyelashes - those are either a stamp or machine done. they are so fine.

The tech I speak of is something that's cited by Nanjin who works out of China and in 1/6. Right now, again, no mass market figure is matching HT's eyes. Even with hand painted aspects to the eyes (which the irises seem to be the most likely candidate from what I can tell under magnification), there is some production magic going on there. Whether that's partial decals, tampos or whatnot. There are plenty of customizers who can do it, but they're working on one sculpt to absolute perfection. Just because HT says each sculpt is handpainted doesn't mean the tool to do it is a brush. You can "hand paint" with a device.

Furthermore, Big Chief Studios has also made comments that manufactuing eyes like HT as, at the time of a year or two ago, was not feasible because of the cost to play ball. According to them, HT has a very high fail rate on eyes that lead to a lot of rejected heads.

So it's great your friend's wife can paint them that well, truly, but it's not a factory job. It's a one off custom. And I guarantee that kind of TLC isn't being given to KO sculpts.

Do you have pics of your wife's work? Does she use decals for the irises? I think all HT eyes have always had decals.

I do winder how your wife could do eyelashes - those are either a stamp or machine done. they are so fine.

I've watched some painters do eyelashes. Just very delicate strokes with consistent paint viscosity. But I would agree with you that on a manufacturing scale, it's gotta be a stamp or tampo print.

The tech I speak of is something that's cited by Nanjin who works out of China and in 1/6. Right now, again, no mass market figure is matching HT's eyes. Even with hand painted aspects to the eyes (which the irises seem to be the most likely candidate from what I can tell under magnification), there is some production magic going on there. Whether that's partial decals, tampos or whatnot. There are plenty of customizers who can do it, but they're working on one sculpt to absolute perfection. Just because HT says each sculpt is handpainted doesn't mean the tool to do it is a brush. You can "hand paint" with a device.

Furthermore, Big Chief Studios has also made comments that manufactuing eyes like HT as, at the time of a year or two ago, was not feasible because of the cost to play ball. According to them, HT has a very high fail rate on eyes that lead to a lot of rejected heads.

So it's great your friend's wife can paint them that well, truly, but it's not a factory job. It's a one off custom. And I guarantee that kind of TLC isn't being given to KO sculpts.

I've watched some painters do eyelashes. Just very delicate strokes with consistent paint viscosity. But I would agree with you that on a manufacturing scale, it's gotta be a stamp or tampo print.
Very interesting... hand paint by a machine... that's an oxymoron isnt it?!

If I remember right, Nanjin mentioned that HT uses like 8 colors for their eyes and that's more than double what any other 1/6 scale company uses.

Very interesting... hand paint by a machine... that's an oxymoron isnt it?!

Haha I suppose it is, isn't it? I mean in essence when any of these companies say it's hand painted, I take it to simply mean that it's NOT aligned on a conveyor belt and tampo'd or deco'd by a machine as it rolls into place. It means there's a human who aligns decals, airbrushes certain tones, and utilizes tools to very precisely recreate the protos. It's all is step by step too. So one person who does the eyes will then pass it off to the person who say, does the hair. Part of JC Hong's job at HT is to oversee the factory breakdown of the paints to best "industrialize" the custom process he does.

Haha I suppose it is, isn't it? I mean in essence when any of these companies say it's hand painted, I take it to simply mean that it's NOT aligned on a conveyor belt and tampo'd or deco'd by a machine as it rolls into place. It means there's a human who aligns decals, airbrushes certain tones, and utilizes tools to very precisely recreate the protos. It's all is step by step too. So one person who does the eyes will then pass it off to the person who say, does the hair. Part of JC Hong's job at HT is to oversee the factory breakdown of the paints to best "industrialize" the custom process he does.
I'm over here like mfer the cad bane sculpt I made the other night is done by hand hahhaa
c4f36dc14af2951e2cbb13d44e85547b.jpg

Back