Does it come in...Desert Camo? (Hot Toys Tumbler mod, WIP)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow ! i just stumbled on this thread..looking pretty good !..same case with me on the Tamiya paints but I'm just doing the black version..I do have my tumbler at home but I'm not..won't be home till the 11th :( but as soon as I get home..going to start working on mine...

maybe I should have kept my BBTS order to make my own camo version :)

Rob

Last edited:
I finally had some time to make some progress on this thing.

Masking with tape and foil:

dsc04494y.jpg

Primering the flaps and front fenders:

dsc04498k.jpg

dsc04500v.jpg

Everything masked off and ready for some rattle-can Tamiya TS-62 "NATO Brown":

dsc04512e.jpg

Mmmm...chocolate:

dsc04517vn.jpg

dsc04521vr.jpg

Next...

"Take off the mask."

Masking off, front wheels reassembled (these are a #$%^& to remove and reattach properly) Advice to anyone that wants to repaint their Tumbler: just mask the front wheels completely to make your life easier.

dsc04523b.jpg

Front fenders reattached. These are only slightly simpler than putting the tandem steering assembly back together. It would've been a straightforward re-screwing if the wheels in the way didn't make it extra difficult to reach the screws and get torque.

dsc04524hz.jpg

Full body shot and a helpful model painting book that's full of tips for novices like me. Rear wheels (with repainted black rims) re-attached.

dsc04530t.jpg

Some shots with the "sibling":

dsc04533hj.jpg

dsc04536e.jpg

dsc04540z.jpg

dsc04543yc.jpg

Things I still need to do:

1. Brush touch-up the sand paint in areas where my poor masking allowed the brown to bleed under the tape.

2. Touch-up some of the brown errors.

3. Paint the step pads black.

4. Fabricate the caged light bar and the long antenna that were only on the camo prototype.

5. Attach the rest of the braking flaps.

6. Mask the wheels and spray at least 2 dull clear coats over the whole thing.

7. Remove all the masking from the wheels, windows.

I think that's it.

looks fantastic!

Quick question, when you took off and re-attached the front fenders did you see anyway to stop them from becoming un-aligned? Your black tumbler seems to have the slight mis-alignment that is common with the Tumbler whereas your camo one doesn't

Thanks for the comments guys.

looks fantastic!

Quick question, when you took off and re-attached the front fenders did you see anyway to stop them from becoming un-aligned? Your black tumbler seems to have the slight mis-alignment that is common with the Tumbler whereas your camo one doesn't

Hulk, by misalignment do you mean the fenders bulge outwards a little bit from the main body when it's resting with its full weight on the wheels? Once you remove the fenders (which are there just for show really, they have no reinforcing effect) each "arm" is held together by five tiny screws. Inside there is a plastic bracket that each wheel is connected to via a metal pin and some pegs on the wheels themselves--this is how they steer in tandem. Any illusion of better alignment with the camo one in the pics is just that--an illusion. I think it has to do with all that stress on the plastic...I don't think it will break, but short of the front arms being completely remolded in metal, I don't think there is any practical way to eliminate this bulging.

looking pretty good ! are you going to leave it clean or weathered ?

r150s - When it's done it's going to be the Batman Begins "Wayne Enterprises Applied Science Division prototype" version -- clean. I never wanted to make the TDKR "dirty" version anyway -- plus, I've never tried realistic weathering before, so I'm not sure how passable it would be. Also, since HT announced theirs, there's even less motivation for me to try to hit that mark. Maybe when this is done, I'll try my hand at weathering the black one a bit, and try to make it look half as real as your amazing paragon.

Now the camo version has been released
do you think this process could be done the other way around?
Make a camo tumbler black?

Great. Its just the black ones are far more expencive at the moment and I can get camo ones quite cheaply.

As far as preping and masking it. I would think disassembling it as much as possible would be best. Is that fairly straight forward? Or am I in for abit of a puzzle lol

The rear wheels are easy. The front wheels are a bit complicated and the screws are hard to reach because the tires get in the way.

Back