Does anyone still play any classic games?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any place to get these games? I loved Kings Quest and other games from Sierra :rock

I actually have a Kings Quest (7 maybe) for the NES, but its not the same as typing in commands :lol

Download DOSBox version 0.74 here:

https://www.dosbox.com/

That will let you run pretty much any old DOS game on your Windows XP, 7, etc., PC.

Then go here and starting downloading your favorites:

https://www.myabandonware.com/

Voila! :wave

I still regularly play Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Eye of the Beholder, Wolfenstein 3D, and Doom.

I tried Ultima V a few days ago (one of my all-time favorites) and man that old school turn based combat is slooooooooow. :lol

The data files that the Doom engine games use are called .wad files. Use a port like ZDoom (simple, yet versatile) to play them. Different ports have different modified engines with their own unique enhancements features (rooms above rooms, particle effects, swimmable water, etc.). I actually mod for the game, so these programs are a dream come true. Some other, more specialized ports include but aren't limited to:

EDGE
GZDoom (same as ZDoom, but with OpenGL compatibility)
SkullTag (same as ZDoom, but with OpenGL compatibility and MULTIPLAYER :rock)
Vanilla or Chocolate Doom
Doom95 (some issues with running on newer systems and is VERY bare-bones, like Vanilla)

Most of these ports also have some basic control updates (ability to look up and down, jump, crouch), which are technically cheating depending on how you use them. :lol

Hope this helps. These old games need to be run through something that can read them, so Windows by itself won't do. Even back in the DOS days, Doom would run on some sort of .exe or .bat file that would read the .wad and open it for you. Now we have more choices, but the functionality remains the same. Download and install your port into some folder you create, put in your .wad files, then click on the port .exe. If you have more than one .wad in the same folder, it should pop-up with a screen asking you which game you want to play. ;)
Hey man, thanks for that!

Gees, Wad files, now that brings back memories and loading the game through DOS :lol

I re-bought Dark Forces, my favorite old-school FPS, on Steam. Still have the original disk and box, proudly.

Not so proudly, I never got to make it work again under XP. I see the links posted above, but too late. He he!

Picked up some more 8/16 bit stuff.
Final Fight
Maximum Carnage
Terminator vs Robocop
Aladdin
:panic:

My top three classic games (in no particular order)

1) Wolfenstein 3D

1) Red Alert

1) Lode Runner: the legend returns.

A few years ago I wanted to play all the systems I missed out on as a kid. So I bought another NES, SNES, Sega Geneiess, Sega CD and the best system ever: Turbografx-16.

My top picks:

Turbografx-16: Splatterhouse, Ninja spirt, Bonk 1&2, Bloody wolf

You left out Devil's Crush. Shame on you.

Best. Pinball. EVAR. :clap

This is one of my favorites game ever :
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1lbCWqiqyk"]YouTube - ‪Amiga Misc [006] Moonstone - Best Parts‬‏[/ame]

Download DOSBox version 0.74 here:

https://www.dosbox.com/

That will let you run pretty much any old DOS game on your Windows XP, 7, etc., PC.

Then go here and starting downloading your favorites:

https://www.myabandonware.com/

Voila! :wave

I still regularly play Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Eye of the Beholder, Wolfenstein 3D, and Doom.

I tried Ultima V a few days ago (one of my all-time favorites) and man that old school turn based combat is slooooooooow. :lol

Thanks for that Khev! :duff

Was playing Wing Commander 2 for the last hour. :yess:

Downloaded the all the Space Quest games too. Ah, memories. Hopefully I'll have some time in the next few days - Can't wait to play them.

So am I to understand that emulator will allow me to play disc based games I have? If so I got some really fun ones I could be playing again.

So am I to understand that emulator will allow me to play disc based games I have? If so I got some really fun ones I could be playing again.

I reckon so.. Just copy the disk contents to your HDD & mount the directory.

I've had a few games that just won't work though, probably a work around online - if I wasn't so lazy.

One issue I had with DOSBox was that it was pretty system-intensive. Maybe not compared to today's games, but certainly more than to run the original game.

I just downloaded it, since I'm looking forward to using it on my new system. My old one was mediocre at best, and would stutter a lot with Crusader: No Remorse, so I had to give up on playing it.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing that again.

I play Street Fighter 3 and Alpha 3,Darkstalkers 3, Resident Evil CVX,3 and REmake does that count?

Metal warriors on the SNES was a blast, side shooter mech battle with really good 2 player action as well in a competative mech setting. By Konami I think, came out around 95 or 96, I still have mine and play it on occasion.

OMG, you know your stuff man... That game has like the best 2 player mode in history of video games:lol Some game company seriously need to make an updated version of that game, especially the part where you can get off the mech and fly as a tiny human:rotfl

Back