Does anyone still play any classic games?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have my NES and SNES hooked up to my TV, don't play them too often but its nice to know they're available should the notion strike me.

Damn those aren't classics. Classics to me are Kings Quest and those types of old PC games. And yes I love them and play them.

Is there any place to get these games? I loved Kings Quest and other games from Sierra :rock

I actually have a Kings Quest (7 maybe) for the NES, but its not the same as typing in commands :lol

I play my 1000+ classics game on psp still, it's lots fun still.

I play this almost every day:

gazillionaire14930.jpg

I grew up on the classics all the way back from... Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Pitfall, Stargate, Zaxxon, Defender, Joust, etc. but to me the heart of gaming is and always will be NES.

The games were just the right mix of everything that makes for great gaming. They were simple enough to pick up and get into and technology was just at the right point to make them both thorough enough with game mechanics and maintain a visually stimulating look. I also loved SNES as well, but I accept that it was just a technological update to the love NES had created. Punch-Out, SMB, Duck Hunt, Double Dragon, Castlevania, Zelda, Metal Gear, Bionic Commando, Golgo 13, Legend of Kage, Karate Champ, Rygar, RC Pro Am, Tecmo Bowl, Batman, Ninja Turtles, RBI Baseball, Kung Fu, Skate or Die!, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Blades of Steel, Contra, Pro Wrestling, Top Gun, Double Dribble, Excitebike, Ghosts and Goblins, Ikari Warriors, Wizards and Warriors, River City Ransom, Ninja Gaiden, Rad Racer, Spy Hunter, Tetris....

ok, I'll quit, you get the picture.

I do also enjoy classics on other systems...Genesis had some great games, loved Streets of Rage, Moonwalker, Sonic, X-men, Mutant League Football, Road Rash, etc..SNES had Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Mario All-Stars, etc. N64 has Shadows of the Empire, WWF: No Mercy, Goldeneye, Zelda, etc.

Classic Gaming is definitely still great.

I grew up on the classics all the way back from... Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Pitfall, Stargate, Zaxxon, Defender, Joust, etc. but to me the heart of gaming is and always will be NES.

The games were just the right mix of everything that makes for great gaming. They were simple enough to pick up and get into and technology was just at the right point to make them both thorough enough with game mechanics and maintain a visually stimulating look. I also loved SNES as well, but I accept that it was just a technological update to the love NES had created. Punch-Out, SMB, Duck Hunt, Double Dragon, Castlevania, Zelda, Metal Gear, Bionic Commando, Golgo 13, Legend of Kage, Karate Champ, Rygar, RC Pro Am, Tecmo Bowl, Batman, Ninja Turtles, RBI Baseball, Kung Fu, Skate or Die!, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Blades of Steel, Contra, Pro Wrestling, Top Gun, Double Dribble, Excitebike, Ghosts and Goblins, Ikari Warriors, Wizards and Warriors, River City Ransom, Ninja Gaiden, Rad Racer, Spy Hunter, Tetris....

ok, I'll quit, you get the picture.

I do also enjoy classics on other systems...Genesis had some great games, loved Streets of Rage, Moonwalker, Sonic, X-men, Mutant League Football, Road Rash, etc..SNES had Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Mario All-Stars, etc. N64 has Shadows of the Empire, WWF: No Mercy, Goldeneye, Zelda, etc.

Classic Gaming is definitely still great.

HA! I was playing No Mercy at work today matter of fact.

I haven't done it for about 8 months but every now and then I hook up my Atari 2600 and play. Terrible Pac-Man, Astroids, Adventure, Superman, Sky Diver, Kangaroo... the list goes on.

And I still have a Commodore 64 I'll fire up now and then. Impossible Mission, Sword of Fargol, Wizard. load "*",8,1 :)

I wish I could still play Doom and Doom2, but my PC will probably won't even recognise the files :lol

I should have got an Xbox and upload all the MAME games.

I miss the Aliens VS Predator one made by Capcom.

So far I have got a disk of about 40 classic SEGA games all on 1 disk for PS3, which bring back some memories but there are a few SNES games I would like again.

I haven't done it for about 8 months but every now and then I hook up my Atari 2600 and play. Terrible Pac-Man, Astroids, Adventure, Superman, Sky Diver, Kangaroo... the list goes on.

And I still have a Commodore 64 I'll fire up now and then. Impossible Mission, Sword of Fargol, Wizard. load "*",8,1 :)

I love my Atari 2600 and am also playing Asteroids. Something that old and it still works perfect shows the quality put inti it.
I wonder if my XBOX 360or PS3 will still work perfectly 30 years from now?

Damn those aren't classics. Classics to me are Kings Quest and those types of old PC games. And yes I love them and play them.

That is what I am saying!

Especially the interactive movie types.

Does anyone remember Ultima? That series was pretty cool back in the day. It's been a long time since I played the collection, but I think I'll reinstall it soon.

Ultima series was amazing, although I still need to go back and play a couple of them cause I know there were some I missed playing.

Nes games will always be played in my home as well, love the ol baseballl all stars, castlevania and most all the classics that all of us 80's kids loved :)

I play almost exculsivly classic gaming. I grew up with a NES but I sold it and everything for a used copy of Shadows of the Empire:(

A few years ago I wanted to play all the systems I missed out on as a kid. So I bought another NES, SNES, Sega Geneiess, Sega CD and the best system ever: Turbografx-16.

I mostly play classic games now. My 360 sits unused as I play all the old games. I find the old games to be less complicated easier to just pick up and play and I find the games to be more fun then the glut of garbage they put out today.

My top picks:

NES: SMB 3, TMNT 2&3, Castlevaina 3, Metal Gear, Kirby's adventure

SNES: TMNT 4, Castlevaina 4, Final fight 2&3, Street fighter 2 Turbo, Super street fighte 2, TMNT Tourment fighters

Sega Geneiss: Streets of rage 1&2, Splattehouse 2&3, Sonic 1-4, Aladin

Turbografx-16: Splatterhouse, Ninja spirt, Bonk 1&2, Bloody wolf

I wish I could still play Doom and Doom2, but my PC will probably won't even recognise the files :lol

The data files that the Doom engine games use are called .wad files. Use a port like ZDoom (simple, yet versatile) to play them. Different ports have different modified engines with their own unique enhancements features (rooms above rooms, particle effects, swimmable water, etc.). I actually mod for the game, so these programs are a dream come true. Some other, more specialized ports include but aren't limited to:

EDGE
GZDoom (same as ZDoom, but with OpenGL compatibility)
SkullTag (same as ZDoom, but with OpenGL compatibility and MULTIPLAYER :rock)
Vanilla or Chocolate Doom
Doom95 (some issues with running on newer systems and is VERY bare-bones, like Vanilla)

Most of these ports also have some basic control updates (ability to look up and down, jump, crouch), which are technically cheating depending on how you use them. :lol

Hope this helps. These old games need to be run through something that can read them, so Windows by itself won't do. Even back in the DOS days, Doom would run on some sort of .exe or .bat file that would read the .wad and open it for you. Now we have more choices, but the functionality remains the same. Download and install your port into some folder you create, put in your .wad files, then click on the port .exe. If you have more than one .wad in the same folder, it should pop-up with a screen asking you which game you want to play. ;)

Last edited:
I've just ordered a complete Streets of Rage 3 and a complete Little Mermaid (NES) from ebay.:yess:

I've never played SOR 3 but I need to complete the triology, plus I enjoyed the first 2 a lot.

The Little Mermid is a favorite of mine from my childhood. I wanted to play it again plus it's real cheap. I only paid $17 shipped for a complete one.:yess:

I still have my Raiders of the Lost Ark for Atari 2600, but the concole is long gone. The game I wish I could play is Below the Root for Commodore 64. Logged more hours on that game than any modern system (which isn't saying much because I don't really play anything). I wonder if you can download it for Windows.

I do, I love the snes games. Especially Donkey Kong and Mario. As a matter of fact, I may just play some of them tomorrow since I've been so dang bored lately.

I've just ordered a complete Streets of Rage 3 and a complete Little Mermaid (NES) from ebay.:yess:

I've never played SOR 3 but I need to complete the triology, plus I enjoyed the first 2 a lot.

The Little Mermid is a favorite of mine from my childhood. I wanted to play it again plus it's real cheap. I only paid $17 shipped for a complete one.:yess:

Nice!I've got Streets of Rage,Megaman 1-3 and Aladdin all on the way. I may have to get a different system though because I already had a controller crap out with this 8/16 bit combo system I bought.

Nice!I've got Streets of Rage,Megaman 1-3 and Aladdin all on the way. I may have to get a different system though because I already had a controller crap out with this 8/16 bit combo system I bought.

Yeah some of that 3rd party stuff can be really cheap.

I only use the real deal so I have no performance or campblity issues.

Aladdin for the Geneiess was a major favorite of mine. It was much better than the SNES version (althought the SNES version isn't bad either)

:hi5:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya0F83Bmbl4&feature=related"]YouTube - I love the power glove. It's so bad.[/ame]

Back