Does anyone do ANIMATION as their career?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Math, not really, when you're doing simulations or you're writing scripts you might need advanced math, but other than that it's stuff like adding, subtracting, converting units and stuff like that.

As for me, I haven't been contacted by anyone, haven't gotten any internships I've applied for either. There's a few good places in Dallas (like the company that did the Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter animated short) but I haven't gotten accepted as an intern at those places. But it's OK, I wasn't actually planning on having stuff ready now.

But I'm planning on going into video games (and as you might notice there isn't much in the way of video games on my site) so I've got a big project I'm working on to finish by the time I graduate next year, it'll be something to fill up my portfolio.

But as I said, right now I don't have enough work examples to get a job I want--but that's also interesting because I can tell you I am far ahead of the people in animation graduating from my school, and even my brother who worked at the Art Instituted said my work is better than a lot of the graduates there, and while what I've got is pretty good, I still don't have the right amount of work in my portfolio to get hired.

I am going to go into video/motion graphics major, then major in 3D animation. Will end up taking me 4 years, but I don't care! :rock

Man, Maya is tough. I wished there was an easier program out there. hehe

I am going to go into video/motion graphics major, then major in 3D animation. Will end up taking me 4 years, but I don't care! :rock

Man, Maya is tough. I wished there was an easier program out there. hehe

Maya isn't so bad, and really, once you learn one program it's much easier to learn others, it's just a process of learning what the tools are named in the different program and it's all the same process for the most part.

Although I'll say, 3ds Max (which is what I use) has much better modeling tools, especially in the most recent version which includes the Polyboost tools and really makes it great.

So I just wanted to reach out and get some opinions on a possible degree change in my studies.... I'm currently studying "Web Design and New Media" at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. I'm in my third semester and I'm really starting to lose confidence in the program.... I feel like I'm being put into these "design" classes and told to make ads, but not really being prepared with the appropriate knowledge before I'm put into these design classes....

To sum it up, I'm pursuing my second bachelors degree (my first was in Advertising) Here at the school they have a SECOND BACHELORS program, which is basically just cutting away all the BS classes (history, math, english, etc) and I just focus on the CORE classes (photoshop, flash, etc) But the ONLY design course I had was a concept class that just touched vaguely on some design concepts.... I'm now in a design class to make print media. The teacher informs us that we should be familiar with lots of typefaces (fonts) and colors, and ad layouts by now..... Like we're seniors or something. :confused:
In the curriculum I'm not even scheduled to have typography until my LAST semester....... :confused: i dunno, I just feel like this is a "RUSHED" way of cramming a TON of different aspects of Media into your skull in two years. (Photography, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Logic Pro, Print Media, Magazine layouts, After Effects, Web Layout, Web Design) Now their philosophy is to make the student "more marketable" and more likely to get hired since they have a "broader knowledge" of all these different medias....

So I'm scared to say, that I don't know if this was a good move for me. I moved all the way from Florida for this school, and I haven't been enjoying living in the city. And now I'm feeling like I may be interested in Animation.... But I'm not sure if it's a good fit for me. So I wanted to ask:

-Anyone here in Computer Animation? (The school has a Character 3D animation program, but I've heard it SUPER SUPER competitive, and EVERYONE wants to do it)

-How's the market for it? (could you make a decent living off it?) I've heard you basically have to be THE BEST to make a living off it....

I'm just wanting some opinions on Animation, and opinions on my schooling situation too..... Are all private art schools like this? :sick

I have to agree that its "more marketable" when you have a "broader knowledge" of all those different media. In Asia, at least this part of Asia where I am in, one does need to be multi-tasking when work is concern. It is competitive, got to know a little of everything and at the same time being really good in certain area.

I have been in the Graphics line for quite some years. Sometimes my work does require me to do 2D Flash animation. I do believe that to do animation. you must have a passion for drawing.

I do feel you might have to give more thoughts about pursuing a particular course for your studies, simply because people are rushing into that industry. With globalisation, things are moving faster than before. What is valid now might change in a few years. The world might be a difference place by the time you graduate.

All the best to your eventual decision.:)

Well Chris I had the same thoughts as you. I went to school for web development. After being in there for awhile I started to get interested in animation. So what i decided to do was stay in web development so I can sharpen my skills in adobe products like photoshop, illistrator, flash etc. Also my programming skills are starting to become refined. I now know C#, VB, Javascript, ASP, Actionscript and a few others. All game companies need user interface designers, and game websites so these skills will help me there. With this knowledge I was able to land an applications development job where i am learning even more stuff like GIS.
On my free time I am teaching myself animation. I bought several books on Maya and downloaded the Maya PLE. I also have Blender 3d, Daz 3d and Bryce which are all free and I am teaching myself. My drawing skills are ok so I am practicing on them as well. What I am good at is drawing landscapes so I am leaving the character stuff alone for now and concentrating on environments (photographing and then animating them). I won't say I am great in any area but i am just learning as much as I can for free or as cheap as possible. Web Designers are highly sought after in every industry. Once you get in then you can pick the brains of other people and learn what you can from them. It took me a long time to decide that animation should be my hobby and not my career and if that changes then I will be ready.

back when i was attending college in the beginning i had looked into Digipen. i was seriously looking into a video game career but the high costs scared me also. i wasn't too hot on assembly language programming either. :D

Loved but being a programmer I can see why.

I can see this field being demanding just as any field dealing with computers, although the same rules apply with being the best or one of the best in the graduating class along with just dipping into all the knowledge you can for yourself and on your on. All these courses in schools can only really teach you theory and it's what you learn and take from them that makes you rise above the rest.

Mainly being software programmer all my life I dabbled in the animation for a little bit just because it peak my interest as well but in the city I live in there's not as many high paying jobs as being a code monkey or software engineer :lol I research and obtain almost all my skills either from tutorials, books, DVD's, etc... all on my own with all the graphic application and tools. Programming was more or less the same throughout my BA and Masters but it was basically the same in theory and you apply those same learning skills throughout all courses.

Don't depend on the schools to teach you everything and make yourself well rounded Chris, those that do are 1) not really meant for the field 2) not reaching the maximum potential.

Last edited:
Motion Graphics is the way to go.

I worked as a modeler/animator using 3DSMax for 7 years. We only made about 3 animations a year.

Unless you want the game industry/movies, Motion graphics is the way to go. The Animation industry (graphics in general) is very much a higher and fire industry.

I live in Vancouver and know many people in the industry here and the best advice I can give to you is not to waste your money on a school. Figure out where it is you want to work and what you want to do modeling, textured, effects, animation, etc...and focus your energy on that specific talent. Find out what studio/industry you want to work in and from there its pretty easy to figure out what programs, maya, xsi, 3d studio max, zbrush, etc...the studio uses and fine tune your skills on that program. For the most part if you learn one of the major 3d programs you will be fine in using the others, just different terminology, different layouts, but the tools will be there for you to do what it is you need to do. This industry for the most part you need to be self motivated and immerse yourself into it. Going to class can be a first step in that direction but you can pretty much download the software you want to learn and surf the internet for tons of learning material. There are tons of websites/forums dedicated to tutorials and discussion on 3d matter. Some people need school but I know a lot of artists that learned the stuff on their own with help from online resources, a degree will not get you a job but talent and knowledge of the material will.

i can back Amir's comments... i have a few friends attending animation classes (coincidentally some in Vancouver) and the expense seems to out weigh benefits... most schools offer 24 hour access which may be desirable if one does not have the computer and software, but if one can get their hands on the gear, there are plenty of tutorials to help one through it...

there is an author, Malcolm Gladwell, who has a theory that becoming a superstar takes about 10,000 hours of hard work... why pay $30 K a year to a school when you can do the work yourself?

Loved but being a programmer I can see why.

I can see this field being demanding just as any field dealing with computers, although the same rules apply with being the best or one of the best in the graduating class along with just dipping into all the knowledge you can for yourself and on your on. All these courses in schools can only really teach you theory and it's what you learn and take from them that makes you rise above the rest.

Actually, the actual animation classes really have no theory and it's all practice. There's no real standards about teaching and professors have to come up with their own way of teaching the material.

But really--tutorial DVDs/books are the best thing to get to learn the stuff, that's where all the good artists are, since they make more money actually doing those jobs than teaching you don't usually have good teachers in the universities (even my teacher isn't primarily in animation but is better at illustration and painting). But the best artists often contribute material for books and stuff. Take a look at work by Zack Petroc--he's a top Zbrush artist and anatomy expert and does tutorial DVD's.

Actually, the actual animation classes really have no theory and it's all practice. There's no real standards about teaching and professors have to come up with their own way of teaching the material.

But really--tutorial DVDs/books are the best thing to get to learn the stuff, that's where all the good artists are, since they make more money actually doing those jobs than teaching you don't usually have good teachers in the universities (even my teacher isn't primarily in animation but is better at illustration and painting). But the best artists often contribute material for books and stuff. Take a look at work by Zack Petroc--he's a top Zbrush artist and anatomy expert and does tutorial DVD's.

Yeah that does make sense, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of programming but with the creativity(animation) it would almost have to be hands on.

Back