Doctor Who sonic screwdriver question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Promising Galahad

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has electroplated or painted their sonic screwdriver to look more real? I just purchased the future sonic screwdriver and will be using it in a photo shoot, which is why I need it to look more convincing. I realize that the toy may be larger than the TV show prop, that doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned about the casting seams and flash, and the plastic looking parts of the toy. Anyone customize their own sonic screwdriver and can offer tips? Help would be greatly appreciated!

I tried to do it and I don't know why, but the paint never dried good, even after using a basecoat. I've used the same paint on many items with success, just the Sonic remains sticky.

Thanks for the response, Xenophilius. What type of paint did you use so I know to avoid it? My main concern with the future sonic screwdriver regarding paint is that the "porcelain" handle will look plastic-like in photos.

I tried regular model paint, latex paint and car paint, none of which worked quite alright.

I would wait for Celestial Toystore as they're making a high-end Future Sonic. I bought a few of their regular Sonics and if you can find one that's more accurate than CT's, it's a screen-used one.

QMx announced a limited edition of 25 11th Doctor Sonics. They cost $3,999.95 though.

https://store.qmxonline.com/11th-Doctors-Sonic-Screwdriver--Artisan-Master-Series_p_163.html#

Hey, that thing's friggin' awesome! About $3,975.95 out of my budget, though. :rotfl

There's actually a reason why I selected the future sonic for my goofy project, though. I'm dressing up as the Nth Doctor, the final incarnation of the good Doctor. There isn't an official one yet, of course, which is why I selected it. I look like none of the actual Doctors and thought why not make my own. It was meant to be a Halloween costume but two months later, I'm still trying to finalize my appearance. To make up for not dressing up for Halloween, I thought I would do a photo shoot instead. It'll be about the closest thing I ever come to playing the Doctor, so I'm actually trying to go all out, even coming up with story ideas and quotes to add to each image in an attempt to make them appear like actual stills from the show (with a tiny budget). Ultimately, this is why I selected the future sonic.

Thanks again for the assistance!

I received my sonic a week ago or so and while it's fine for the price I paid, $18, it needs work if I'm to go out with it for next Halloween or Dragon*Con, etc. So for right now, it should be all right for the photo shoot, as I'll just fix it up in Photoshop if/as needed. (Just like you, I've read of others having a problem painting theirs, so PS seems like a quick answer. It'll only be seen in one or two pics anyway.) For the future, however, I'll have to upgrade to something more like the actual prop.

Xenophilius, just wanted confirmation on this, do the CT sonics make the sonic noise?

It's not the Future sonic and not #11's either BUT I modded one of the 9/10 CO sonics a while back.
I sanded them both, added aluminum tape, and re-painted but one has had some real work done to it.
P1090208.jpg

P1090203.jpg

P1090204.jpg

I've actually modded it further since I took that shot.
P1090205.jpg

P1090206.jpg

And in case you're wondering, it DOES still work.
P1090207.jpg

My modifications were largely (though not entirely) based on this
CO-Sonicmods.jpg

That's fantastic, d_jedi1!

I never heard of aluminum tape before. I found out there is also a copper tape too, so I'll have to try some on my future sonic.

Did you also thin down your sonics (narrowed their widths)? Their seams or any gaps are hardly noticeable.

Thanks again guys!

I did give them a good sanding before painting and using the aluminum tape (or the two-part epoxy for adding the ridges on the slightly more accurate one).

Due to the future sonic's design, I decided to go the painted route. I purchased some paint from Triangle called Sophisticated Finishes Metallic Surfacers. It seems to adhere pretty well upon testing. Once I'm finished sanding down and filling seams and stripping the factory paint (simply painting over it looks a bit rough), I'll test the Metallic Surfacers further.

For the handle I'm looking into crackle paints so far, and I intend to sand down the sculpted screws in favor of actual screws being inserted. I'm trying to keep these modifications simple but still have the finished piece look somewhat impressive. This brings me to my next question: Has anyone successfully painted over the clear emitter lens of the CO future sonic to make it look tinted?

Well, acetone was a bad idea. Time to buy another future sonic screwdriver.

On the plus side, I did discover that the green paint can be removed with alcohol... Not sure if that matters, really... So, back to what I was saying earlier, time to buy another future sonic screwdriver.

Just thought I'd show my progress:

P1050605.jpg

The first thing I wanted to do was change the color of the emitter lens (ordinarily made of clear plastic) to a dark blue. I did this by removing the ring that secures the lens to the head of the screwdriver. I then removed the four wave amplifiers and cracked open the head with a rubber mallet.I pried out the lens and scribbled a few coats of ink within and underneath using a blue permanent marker. I've sanded down obvious flash and filled up most of the seam gaps using Magic-Sculpt. Finally, I've already begun painting a few parts (I discovered the paint may be too dark, but I'm trying to pretend it's not :lol ), using my previous and now junk future sonic screwdriver for practice and study.

I hope to have this thing finished this weekend! I'll take more pics when I do.

Thanks again guys, for your help!

Last edited:
...So... I hope it's true what they say, "Third time's the charm." :rotfl

I decided the bronze paint is too dark to pass for the "brass" parts of the future sonic -- not to mention I tried Dullcoting the screwdriver, which ate up and messed up the paint throughout even after it was sealed -- so I'll be trying to find another future sonic at a good price soon... and start all over again... :panic: ( or is that :cuckoo: )

Here's a couple more questions I have: Has anyone tried making their fluid link tube a transparent light blue instead of completely clear as it is with the toy? I've seen images of Robatto's props on a black surface and they differ from the toy in this way. Also, has anyone painted over the crackle effect on their future sonic? Its effect isn't as good as what I've seen of the Eccleston and Tennant sonics. My options so far have been to sand the sculpted cracks down completely or smear something within the cracks that'll harden over time, lightly sand over it and paint it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

After four months I've decided to call it quits on the good ol' future sonic. It's just been one problem after another and, quite frankly, it's been wearing me out!

For now, I'm focusing my attention on the photo shoot (I may be a sonicless Doctor!) and when I'm no longer broke(!) I'll do as I initially planned and design my own sonic out of easily customizable parts. I really liked the idea of using the future sonic but I may be better off doing something new.

Despite all my troubles, thanks to everyone who helped out!

Back