Prop Doctor Who 11 Sonic Screwdriver from Rubbertoe Replicas

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
Rubbertoe Replicas is proud to present the FULLY LICENSED 11th Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver!

This iconic piece is an exact replica of the MOST UP TO DATE version that our master prop maker, Nick Robatto, has made for the series CURRENTLY BEING FILMED here in Cardiff.

Our sonic replica is crafted from over eighty components and from a wide variety of materials including copper, brass, aluminum, leather and resin, with the white resin section being cast from the original prop made in 2009. The metal pieces are precision cut by CNC, and all the rest of the parts are hand made and assembled in the Rubbertoe workshops. The sonic also features a working LED light made in exactly the same way as the screen used prop.
be0900_fd48e212e4ad475797987625c359a0b1.jpg_srz_p_567_378_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpg
The 11th Doctor's Sonic comes with its own custom made stand with a numbered plaque signed by Nick Robatto, and a beautiful wooden presentation box.

The 11th Doctor's Sonic is truly an iconic and beautiful collector’s piece, and as a genuine, licensed piece made and signed by the prop’s original maker, will no doubt hold and even increase it’s value well into the future.

That's the version currently being used in filming? It's the most current version being used, yet its cast off 2009 parts. Okay, makes no sense at all. Whatever sells some units I guess. :slap

In non cynical news, the replica is a thing of beauty.

That's the version currently being used in filming? It's the most current version being used, yet its cast off 2009 parts. Okay, makes no sense at all. Whatever sells some units I guess. :slap

In non cynical news, the replica is a thing of beauty.

Uh, if they didn't change the sonic for Capaldi - it makes sense that it would be cast from the parts used to make the ones Matt first used.

Why wouldn't they change it for Capaldi? They always do. And why would they name this the 11th's sonic if its both? I'm sure its used for 1 scene. Just a silly promo byline that's probably more style than substance.

Consideraing Nick Robatto has been the propmaster since 2005 and he's the one behind Rubbertoe I think he knows what he's talking about. Also iirc the original hero is still in use for close ups etc, and it most likely was made in 2009 considering Matt Smith started at the beginning of 2010 it would have actually been concepted and constructed in 2009.

edit: They actually link the history of it here: https://www.rubbertoereplicas.com/#!sonic-history/c16t
Pretty interesting read.

2nd edit: thanks for the link btw, despite the extreme price I am thinking about ordering.

Last edited:
Calpadi has his own sonic screw. There's image of it, which looks similar to 11 cept there's no claw and it is shaped like a giant pill. The handle is the same.

As for this screwdriver, it's based off of season 7, which apparently has a lot parts change when compared to the previous season screwdriver. For example, the bottom of the screwdriver doesn't house a hidden button, and instead is a solid piece. The button is moved to the side of the screwdriver. Also, season 7's sonic is flick activated whereas the earlier sonic is activated by pressing down a part of the wand.

Thinking about ordering one but I'm hesitant because Qmx said a while ago that they wanted to make a more affordable version of their 11th Doctor's sonic, would be good to know if that's still planned and how much that one would cost...

Thinking about ordering one but I'm hesitant because Qmx said a while ago that they wanted to make a more affordable version of their 11th Doctor's sonic, would be good to know if that's still planned and how much that one would cost...

This IS a more affordable version. Nick made the $4K ones for QMx, so if he's making these on his own I'd imagine that QMx isn't in it anymore.

This IS a more affordable version. Nick made the $4K ones for QMx, so if he's making these on his own I'd imagine that QMx isn't in it anymore.

True, I just thought Qmx themselves would make one, when I asked them about it last December I got this reply:

We had plans to produce a non-Artisan version of Matt Smith's Sonic. Unfortunately, we haven't released it as of yet and don't have it on our release slate in the near future.

We hope to do it eventually, but as you know, it's a complex piece and we wouldn't want to take shortcuts on such a special prop that we know the fans love so much! Better to take your time than release something that won't hold up with the Whovians. If you'd like, you can follow us on our social media channels for updates. If we do have news on the 11th Doctor's Sonic, you can be bet we'd post it up there.

Thanks for your interest in QMx products!

That's not really a 'yes' but also not a 'no'...but it doesn't matter anymore because I decided to buy the Rubbertoe one.

I considered the audio as well, but decided against it. I felt that it might take away from the authentic prop vibe, make it more toy-like.

It'd be fun at parties, though...

It's incredibly rare that the person or company that actually makes a prop for film and television actually makes the replicas for sale to fans. In fact, if it's the original artist using the original materials - when is it not just a replica, but a actual prop? So that fact that Nick Robatto, who is a propmaker for the BBC and Doctor Who, actually created these sonic screwdrivers makes them even more special.

Here's Nick's commercial site:
Doctor Who Replica Props, Doctor Who gifts, Doctor Who presents

When Rubbertoe offered the 11 (&12) Doctor's sonic for sale I jumped at the chance. Just like original prop, these are designed without sound, but Nick offered a sound option for an additional fee, and I opted to include the sound (makes playing with it more fun).

Here's a great article by Nick on the history of this version of the sonic, including the original designs and what had to be done realize that design in 3 dimensions:
Doctor Who Replica Props, Doctor Who gifts, Doctor Who presents

I was number 15 in the queue and my sonic arrived last week.

The packaging is excellent, with a engraved wooden box holding the sonic securely. Not shown is an included card which outlines the care of the sonic and precautions against abusing it.

sonic01.jpg

Even the interior foam protection is laser cut with Gallifreyian-like designs. The sonic comes in a canvas bag for protection and the stand sits in its own foam compartment.

sonic02.jpg

Each stand is hand numbered and signed by Nick.

sonic03.jpg

Here's the sonic - mostly made of metal and other parts which I assume are from the same materials as the screen-used props.

sonic04.jpg

sonic045.jpg

It's not obvious with other prop replicas or toys of this sonic, but there's an old-time elegance to this prop - you can see the rivets that hold the brass sides in place and the tiny screws and springs that allow the mechanisms to work.

sonic05.jpg

Also unlike some other prop replicas, the button for activating the light (and sound on mine) is just where it is on the originals - according to Nick on the original it was something of an afterthought.

sonic06.jpg

This sonic works just like the original and the claw end extends and opens. You can even open it like Matt Smith used to do with a flick of the wrist, although the instructions don't recommend doing this too hard. Matt went through a number of props due to this bit of business.

sonic07.jpg

I couldn't hold the camera and press the button, so I don't have a pic of it lit up - but it's nice and bright. On my sound enabled version there are 3 different sounds which operate in sequence when pressing the button multiple times.

sonic08.jpg

sonic09.jpg

sonic010.jpg

sonic011.jpg

I also have the Wand Company remote version of the prop and while it's an admirable and cheap version, you can see the obvious differences. The Wand Co. one doesn't open and it's much thicker and less refined than the actual prop.

sonic012.jpg

sonic013.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased with this purchase and I look forward to many more props (replicas?) from Rubbertoe. They just added the TARDIS in siege mode for purchase as well.

TARDIS 'SEIGE MODE' CUBE Pre-order

You can still get an order in for this sonic - he's going to do 250 total.
11 & 12 Doctor Sonic Screwdriver for order

Great review. Thanks for sharing! It looks great. Matt Smith really, really made an impression on my for his version of The Doctor. So I'm really considering this piece.

Back