Doctor Strange: the movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I seem to be reading are complaints about this movie, especially the humor. Usually the first week Marvelites come in here and splooge on everyone that this is the best movie ever. Haven't heard that. Except from you now.

I just want to know if this is a good Marvel movie (like Winter Soldier and Guardians) or a weak Marvel movie (like Ultron and IM 3).
Obviously this will vary from person to person. But I think this was much better than Age of Ultron. Probably on par with Iron Man 3. . .but I actually liked Iron Man 3 :lol

I would rank it in the upper half of Marvel movies. Not as good as the first Iron Man or Winter Soldier. But in the second tier with Ant-Man, Civil War, the Thor movies (again, I liked the second one), Guardians, Avengers 1, and Incredible Hulk. Higher than Iron man 2 and Age of Ultron.

Obviously this will vary from person to person. But I think this was much better than Age of Ultron. Probably on par with Iron Man 3. . .but I actually liked Iron Man 3 :lol

I would rank it in the upper half of Marvel movies. Not as good as the first Iron Man or Winter Soldier. But in the second tier with Ant-Man, Civil War, the Thor movies (again, I liked the second one), Guardians, Avengers 1, and Incredible Hulk. Higher than Iron man 2 and Age of Ultron.

OK, that's fair enough. I know a lot of people like IM3, I was not one of them, but I can see the appeal to those who like things a little sideways.

I had the impression prior to release that Dr. Strange was going to be a GREAT movie. Doesn't sound "great". Gonna wait for a screening to see this one.

For Fox -- First Class is best! You crazy if you no likey.

For DC -- I'm still waiting for their "great" movie. TDK comes closest so far... but its hard to rank Nolan movies as comic book movies.

I'm Wor-Gar and I approve of the above post.
*opinions may vary*

I think my Top 3 would be:

TWS
Avengers
Guardians

We have the same Top 3 MCU movies.

For me, the wins are:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) 10/10
2. The Avengers (2012) 10/10
3. Guardians of The Galaxy (2014) 10/10
4. Iron Man (2008) 10/10
5. The Incredible Hulk (2008) 9/10 *original press release where Tony Stark stinger is post-credits.

Not great, not bad:

6. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) 8/10
7. Captain America: Civil War (2016) 7.5/10
8. Thor (2011) 7.5/10

Mediocre

9. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) 7/10
10. Iron Man 2 (2010) 7/10
10. Doctor Strange (2016) 7/10

Bad

12. Iron Man 3 (6/10)
13. Ant-Man (2015) 6/10
14. Thor: The Dark World (2013) 6/10

Fourteen movies - yet only five I can say with a straight face are great films.

You forgot the *Sent From My Smartphony Ass* part.

:monkey3

My phone's not smart but it is an ass. :lol

I would think if The People voted, Avengers, TWS and Guardians would win Top 3.

Personally, I liked Iron Man (it established the Marvel tone forever) and First Avenger (although its a bit slow), and the original Thor was a real surprise at how good it was (for a character I could car less about previously).

Civil War was a real snooze for me. I'm shocked people like it. I have a feeling "love" for that film will wilt over time.

OK, that's fair enough. I know a lot of people like IM3, I was not one of them, but I can see the appeal to those who like things a little sideways.

I had the impression prior to release that Dr. Strange was going to be a GREAT movie. Doesn't sound "great". Gonna wait for a screening to see this one.
It would be pretty hard for a Marvel movie to be "great" in my eyes, for the same reason that it's pretty hard for one of them to fail spectacularly a la Fant-4-Stic, Batman V. Superman, or X3/Wolvie: Origins--Feige has a super tight reign on things, and it's gotta be competent and appeal to a mass audience in order to make it to the theater (I would speculate that is why Edgar Wright left Ant-Man--too unconventional). With the Fox and WB stuff, it's more of a mixed bag because sometimes the directors get more leeway, and sometimes the producers greenlight something a bit more out of the mainstream. I can't imagine getting a Dark Knight from Marvel Studios. Nor can I imagine Batman Forever. Either could happen with Fox or WB.

If you can imagine a movie-making 101 class, where you would be taught all the standard things a big time action movie is supposed to do, the Marvel Studios movies do that. But that comes with pros and cons. Shane Black is probably the closest thing to an exception to the rule that we got, and despite fans being thrown for a loop, the movie still had a very conventional structure in many ways.

But Strange was fun, and pretty interesting as far as comic movies go. Strange himself has a nice arc.

Oh and here's my list:

LOTR > ANY OTHER MOVIE
Filthy cheater!

raw

It would be pretty hard for a Marvel movie to be "great" in my eyes, for the same reason that it's pretty hard for one of them to fail spectacularly a la Fant-4-Stic, Batman V. Superman, or X3/Wolvie: Origins--Feige has a super tight reign on things, and it's gotta be competent and appeal to a mass audience in order to make it to the theater (I would speculate that is why Edgar Wright left Ant-Man--too unconventional). With the Fox and WB stuff, it's more of a mixed bag because sometimes the directors get more leeway, and sometimes the producers greenlight something a bit more out of the mainstream. I can't imagine getting a Dark Knight from Marvel Studios. Nor can I imagine Batman Forever. Either could happen with Fox or WB.

If you can imagine a movie-making 101 class, where you would be taught all the standard things a big time action movie is supposed to do, the Marvel Studios movies do that. But that comes with pros and cons. Shane Black is probably the closest thing to an exception to the rule that we got, and despite fans being thrown for a loop, the movie still had a very conventional structure in many ways.

But Strange was fun, and pretty interesting as far as comic movies go. Strange himself has a nice arc.

Does make me a little concerned a little with Thor and Taika Waititi to be honest... I'm just not sure how "Marvel" he is..

I gotta be honest, this is the reason I like Marvel so much. I just want enjoyable movies with good characters. Dr. Strange delivered on all fronts for me, it was well acted, tight story, great cinematography, and I loved the humor.

I hope that if Vision meets Dr. Strange, he'll change his Thor inspired cape for Strange's Dracula cape with the collar, since Vision is also known for wearing a similar cape in the comics. Thor's reaction could be funny.

Imperfect as the MCU may be Marvel still deserves credit for giving us 8 years worth of consistently above average entertainment.

Not just that, the world building and expansion of their cinematic and to some extent television universe is unmatched by any franchise, brand or studio. The MCU not only has different genres films and characters, but also different demographics with the Netflix shows. Not to mention, their fictional universe isn't limited to earth, but other worlds, galaxies, and now with Dr. Strange different dimensions and "infinite" realms. I can't think of any franchise ever that comes even close to what the MCU has done in just 8 years, and to think that it all started with one guy in a cave building a suit.

Back