Do discs go bad after time?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripletn

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm so excited for the upcoming Batman Arkham Origins game that I put in my Arkham Asylum GOTY edition into the PS3 to replay. After getting through the opening sequence up until Batman takes Joker inside from the rain to check him back into the Asylum, then my game freezes. This happens several times at the same point. The disc has no scratches, and has been kept safely in its case. Do ISVs go bad? Does this mean if I repurchase another discI have to re download the DLC?

The Disc could be slightly warped or it could be your system that's causing the game to freeze. Fallout 3 would keep freezing on my Xbox 360, and it turns out it was just the Xbox that was shotty.

All my blu rays work, and so far this is the first game I've come across that's doing this. I really don't want to rebut this.

Try playing it on a friends ps3 and see if you have the same issues, that way you'll know for sure.

Must be a one time bad disc. Don't think discs go bad as many of us have discs of various media that are decades old and still work.

I'm so excited for the upcoming Batman Arkham Origins game that I put in my Arkham Asylum GOTY edition into the PS3 to replay. After getting through the opening sequence up until Batman takes Joker inside from the rain to check him back into the Asylum, then my game freezes. This happens several times at the same point. The disc has no scratches, and has been kept safely in its case. Do ISVs go bad? Does this mean if I repurchase another discI have to re download the DLC?

Well, blu rays are much harder to damage as apposed to CDs and DVDs. You can wash the disc with tap water if there is any dirt, dust or grime on the disc and wipe it center outwards with a soft cotton cloth.

If your disc is clean, then it's possible that your install data or HDD might be corrupt. Delete the old install data (not save data!) and re-install the game again. All DLCs will be wiped out too, so redownload them. If other games are giving you problem too, then it's most likely your HDD is going bad.

Another common cause that people tend to overlook is your lens. They WILL get dirty overtime, and this leads to lower sound quality and worst of all, disc read errors. I tend to dismantle my PS3 to get direct access to my lens and clean it with a q-tip and alcohol every few years, but I won't recommend this if you have no experience!

Your best way of preserving the lens is to always, without fail, make sure that your discs are clean. If they have been in storage for months, then they definitely need to be run under tap water.

Hope that helps!

If we're still talking about discs however then YES, they do go bad overtime, and will deteriorate after several decades. However, this shouldn't trouble you as we're all be dead by then. Keep discs in their respective cases and away from moisture, heat and other elements and they'll be fine. I have hundreds of music CDs from the mid 80 and they all work just fine.

Well, blu rays are much harder to damage as apposed to CDs and DVDs. You can wash the disc with tap water if there is any dirt, dust or grime on the disc and wipe it center outwards with a soft cotton cloth.

If your disc is clean, then it's possible that your install data or HDD might be corrupt. Delete the old install data (not save data!) and re-install the game again. All DLCs will be wiped out too, so redownload them. If other games are giving you problem too, then it's most likely your HDD is going bad.

Another common cause that people tend to overlook is your lens. They WILL get dirty overtime, and this leads to lower sound quality and worst of all, disc read errors. I tend to dismantle my PS3 to get direct access to my lens and clean it with a q-tip and alcohol every few years, but I won't recommend this if you have no experience!

Your best way of preserving the lens is to always, without fail, make sure that your discs are clean. If they have been in storage for months, then they definitely need to be run under tap water.

Hope that helps!

If we're still talking about discs however then YES, they do go bad overtime, and will deteriorate after several decades. However, this shouldn't trouble you as we're all be dead by then. Keep discs in their respective cases and away from moisture, heat and other elements and they'll be fine. I have hundreds of music CDs from the mid 80 and they all work just fine.

Good advice, thanks. I'll try the tap water.

I would not put water on a disc. In every manual they have that no water symbol.

I've heard of disc rot. But I think it's rare. I've also seen strange patterns on some discs. I think it's the glue or something not laying evenly. Someone explained it to me before once. I forgot now. But discs themselves are a good storage medium. I've seen discs with light scratches from wiping with the wrong cloth, fingerprints, etc. and they still load up. Deep scratches is a different story...

But yeah these discs will last longer than we will if we treat them right. People still play old records.

Make sure you are in good light to make sure there are no scratches, lint, fingerprints, or anything. I have seen small fingerprints cause glitches on DVDs before.

I would not put water on a disc. In every manual they have that no water symbol.

Using water to wash off discs is fine, leaving moisture to dry on a disc is not. I've done this for 25 years and why would I recommend it if could damage the disc?

It's highly unlikely that a disc is damaged, they are stamped and you'd have to screw them up pretty bad. Unlike discs you can burn yourself which have an ink layer which can degrade over time.

Using water to wash off discs is fine, leaving moisture to dry on a disc is not. I've done this for 25 years and why would I recommend it if could damage the disc?

Honestly I don't know. What I do know is discs are platters sandwiched together. If water or moisture gets in you could be asking for trouble in the future. I've seen gel like solutions made for cleaning discs. I would try that before water.

Back