Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my Darkness bust and possible future ECC Medusa bust I am considering building a corner display. Using two walls I would just need a corner shelf or shelves, and one piece of acrylic up against the corner. I'd have to figure a way to open it though. Maybe attach hinges to the acrylic and the one wall so it could swing open. It would give plenty of depth and width, plus I could stack probably 3 large pieces in the one corner. I've been wanting to get Darkness behind Acrylic for a long time.

He's huge.

Holy crap, it's as if he'll need a room all to himself haha

Holy crap, it's as if he'll need a room all to himself haha

:lol You're right.

EVERYONE:

Have any of you disassembled and moved a PAX display before? I'm moving them tomorrow morning at 9:30 am central and they are completely assembled right now. I know there's not much to it, but if anyone's done it and has any tips please please share. Thanks!

Me right now: :panic:

:lol You're right.

EVERYONE:

Have any of you disassembled and moved a PAX display before? I'm moving them tomorrow morning at 9:30 am central and they are completely assembled right now. I know there's not much to it, but if anyone's done it and has any tips please please share. Thanks!

Me right now: :panic:

Remove the doors and tracks and then start from the top and take apart. Do not do what I did with my friends PAX and stand on the bottom shelf when trying to reach screws on the top as I went straight through it and it was a complete write off. Best of luck with it.

Remove the doors and tracks and then start from the top and take apart. Do not do what I did with my friends PAX and stand on the bottom shelf when trying to reach screws on the top as I went straight through it and it was a complete write off. Best of luck with it.

Thanks!!!

Finally got all the parts to build my 200x58x200 Pax. 900 aud later not including the acrylic charge.

I purchase the brown /black pax but I'm leaning towards maybe getting the narrow one so I can get the wood finish. Am I wrong in thinking if you have too many dark statues the black brown will work against you?

Has anyone tried getting custom sliding doors with acrylic from like craigslist closet makers or anything? Ikea sliding door frames plus custom acrylic is like $400ish right?

Ive had no regrets going with the br/blk, the characters pop more imo. Personally I think the lighting is what makes all the difference. I almost didnt get it so I could save some bucks, glad I did.

Yeah Inferno, I think they ended up $400ish. The two acrylic sheets cost me about $160 at home depot online- free shipping to store. Then a local glass place cut it for me for about $16. pricey, but they are super nice. Even if i could get customs for half the cost, I think I'd still prefer these ones.

Has anyone done a single sheet acrylic panel door on a single 39inch wide PAX frame? i don't know how i am going to put a single large door on that.

Sorry Inferno...not I. I paid movers to move all four of my Pax units. They took a beating in the move so I'm trashing them and building the four spare units I have in the box. Win win really as I won't need to store these big heavy boxes anymore. I will never attempt to move these again. Not worth it.

I am planing on using the wall of Pax to create a wall for my home theater in the basement. Should be a pretty nice setup until I start demolition to build a dedicated theater room, which will be a while before I can afford that. I'm thinking of building a 2x4 frame with some insulation behind the Pax's to help reduce LFE vibrations into the cabinets from my sub. It would secure and square up the Pax's too.

If you paid the movers with a credit card, call and withhold or dispute the charge.

Thanks for the tip, but I paid cash. It's not too terrible. They didn't actually break anything. I've had high end moving companies that still couldn't manage not to scratch or damage at least a couple things. My luck I guess. I'm over it.

Would 3mm thick acrylic be strong enough in the ikea frame? Was aiming for 4.5mm but just looking to cut costs since the pax + drawers + lights cost me a pretty penny here in Australia lol

And is it just put the frame together and measure for the perfect size acrylic? or does someone have the actual dimensions on here (For the 200x58x201cm Pax) since the search function doesn't seem to be working.

Cheers!

Would 3mm thick acrylic be strong enough in the ikea frame? Was aiming for 4.5mm but just looking to cut costs since the pax + drawers + lights cost me a pretty penny here in Australia lol

And is it just put the frame together and measure for the perfect size acrylic? or does someone have the actual dimensions on here (For the 200x58x201cm Pax) since the search function doesn't seem to be working.

Cheers!

You'll need to convert inches to cm, but reference page 9 of this thread, gagaliya posted and I quote:

- This step is CRITICAL, make sure you follow all the items below exactly.
- I ordered from professionalplastics.com, they are by far the cheapest around include shipping. But takes 2 weeks to ship.
- Make sure you order CELL CAST acrylic (linked) NOT extruded as I suggested in my old setup, because it's more rigid than extrude, given the size of the panel this is very important. Another advantage is the clarity is better but also slightly more expensive. I also selected a slightly thicker size for added rigidity.
- Exact measurement: 2X .187" THICK X 35.375" X 86.3125" @ +/-0.062 TOLERANCE

You'll need to convert inches to cm, but reference page 9 of this thread, gagaliya posted and I quote:

- This step is CRITICAL, make sure you follow all the items below exactly.
- I ordered from professionalplastics.com, they are by far the cheapest around include shipping. But takes 2 weeks to ship.
- Make sure you order CELL CAST acrylic (linked) NOT extruded as I suggested in my old setup, because it's more rigid than extrude, given the size of the panel this is very important. Another advantage is the clarity is better but also slightly more expensive. I also selected a slightly thicker size for added rigidity.
- Exact measurement: 2X .187" THICK X 35.375" X 86.3125" @ +/-0.062 TOLERANCE

Fantastic, thanks so much. That is for the taller pax but the width was all i was really worried about. For some reason search was showing up completely blank, was working the week before i moved though.

Also, is the backing for the pax meant to be so loose? I nailed it in correctly and completely flush yet it seems to be flapping aroundeven with drawers in.

Fantastic, thanks so much. That is for the taller pax but the width was all i was really worried about. For some reason search was showing up completely blank, was working the week before i moved though.

Also, is the backing for the pax meant to be so loose? I nailed it in correctly and completely flush yet it seems to be flapping aroundeven with drawers in.

Yes, they're not very high quality. All that holds the two folding halves of the backboard together is a piece of tape, and mine came undone during my move, leaving a gap in the middle of the backboard. I could retape the halves if I wasn't going to replace them anyways.

Cheers!

I am in Australia too mate so i feel your pain cost wise. Just did my doors and used 4.5mm cell cast acrylic cost me $300. I wouldnt go 3mm. I didnt trust myself to make the measurements so i took the frame to someone local and they measured and installed. Just make sure they leave 1mm or so each side to allow for expansion in our heat and humidity. I couldnt find anyone that supplied non reflective acrylic for any less than $500.

Just have to do my lighting now.

Sorry for the double post.

Will be using cool white 5050 led strips to light my Pax laid into aluminium diffuser channels.

Any opinions as to what would look better. Lights in the middle of the shelf shining straight down or at the front of the shelf on an angle shining back into the unit?

Thanks.

Back