Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Ikea had the new sliding door frames in stock on 5/6/13 when I went. The black frames were $275.00 and were article # 602.502.70. That was Ikea in Bolingbrook, IL.

The medium brown was discontinued and marked down from $100 to $40 per cabinet so I bought 8 of them. Enough for 4 of the 2 cabinet combo's with doors. Shouldn't need any more cabinets, that's a lot of shelf space.

Sorry you missed them gorocketcat...check with your local Ikea though. If they have any they're probably on sale.

Replaced some cheap, cheap book shelf that I bought like 10 yrs ago, from Office Max. Replaced them with some Besta, 501.021.38, 501.021.57, 201.021.54. Nice black-brown color. Wish I can eliminate the middle support/divider but the back board need to slide in them.
Ikea not the best out there but close to perfect for me.

Moving on up :D

The medium brown was discontinued and marked down from $100 to $40 per cabinet so I bought 8 of them. Enough for 4 of the 2 cabinet combo's with doors. Shouldn't need any more cabinets, that's a lot of shelf space.

Sorry you missed them gorocketcat...check with your local Ikea though. If they have any they're probably on sale.

Looking to sell?:)

I won't have time to visit an ikea for a couple weeks. The closest one is 2 hours away in Chicago. Argh.

May have to settle for black. Or see if the light ones are stain/paintable.

Looking to sell?:)

I won't have time to visit an ikea for a couple weeks. The closest one is 2 hours away in Chicago. Argh.

May have to settle for black. Or see if the light ones are stain/paintable.

Probably not going to sell any...I might need them in the future. If you get a different color, I wouldn't recommend the black. Even if you collect horror stuff like I do, it's just too dark IMO. White makes everything pop, and will look classy if you add the doors with acrylic. It's a real shame they discontinued the medium brown...it really does look classy and it's not too dark. But I would get a lighter color cabinet over the black.

Replaced some cheap, cheap book shelf that I bought like 10 yrs ago, from Office Max. Replaced them with some Besta, 501.021.38, 501.021.57, 201.021.54. Nice black-brown color. Wish I can eliminate the middle support/divider but the back board need to slide in them.
Ikea not the best out there but close to perfect for me.

Moving on up :D

I took the center support out of my besta. Plan on getting a piece of black foam core board cut and put across the back for under $20. Even found a vinyl wrap to put on foam board to give it a gloss or satin black look instead of dull foam.

Hey guys just got a discontinued pax not the double a smaller one,now does anyone have an idea on how to put some acrylic glass doors.on it? Im trying to recreate the tombo ikeas doors with or without the frame? Help!

Last edited:
Hey guys just got a discontinued pax not the double a smaller one,now does anyone have an idea on how to put some acrylic glass doors.on it? Im trying to recreate the tombo ikeas doors with or without the frame? Help!

There's an excellent "how-to" in the How To Display Your Collectibles section of the boards.

FYI Ikea says the new Pax sliding door frames will be in stock at the end of September. They had some sort of supplier issue.

They will be selling the double sliding door frames without glass, so you can buy acrylic panels for them.

Alright, I haven't been keeping up with all the PAX product changes and I am about to change my display. Is This the correct model? And are the doors available to order?

Anyone thought of or are using the glass shelves with there Pax ??

Depends on how much weight you're gonna be putting on it. I have about 5-6 pfs on each and my heavy ones on the bottom.
I think i saw someone with the thing and hulk pf. Just the weight on those 2 on one shelf would scares the crap out of me.

Komplement max load is 44lbs i'd take a stab in the dark and say the average new pf weight is perhaps 10-16lbs.
You're better off getting custom ones.

My younger cat jumped on my shelf last night (hes solid 16 lbs) to chase a moth down.
Thankfully, i am super paranoid added 4 brackets and extra support to avoid the wood from warping in the middle.
if it broke i would have lost perhaps 3k of statue retail value on the shelf alone.

So no, i wouldn't advise in using glass for shelves.

Alright, I haven't been keeping up with all the PAX product changes and I am about to change my display. Is This the correct model? And are the doors available to order?

The Pax cabinets are the same, except the medium brown is discontinued. New sliding door frames will be available at the end of September in aluminum, black, and white for $275 without the glass panels so you can insert custom clear acrylic panels.

Back