Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also use aluminum U channel if you'd prefer - available at most bog-box hardware stores - and you can usually buy pieces in various standard lengths and cut to size.

Hi guys!

This my besta with custom glasses, tombo doors sold out in Spain, so, this was the solution...

IMG_3713_zps60cc0b77.jpg

Hey, that looks very nice! I think a lot of collectors would prefer having these longer doors, care to share how you made these?

Batman fan I see. :)

Here's how I'd source those doors:

1. Glass cabinet hinges from eBay - pick your color. They're available in multiple styles, primarily either pin-hinged like those on IKEA Detolf and Klingsbo where you'll drill the top and bottom of the cabinet, or screw-hinged where you'll mount the hinges to the cabinet sides with screws.

2. Magnetic stop for glass doors from eBay.

3. Plate or tempered 5-6mm or 1/4" glass from glass supplier cut to size.

4. Glass cleaner to take all the fingerprints off after you build and install. :)

Has anyone tried using a digital photo display in their Deltof for photo and/or motion backgrounds? If so, can anyone recommend a display for this purpose?

That looks nice! What display shelf is that? Or is it a custom? I need something that fits my Tumbler.

Lol, you quoted what kind it was, it's a PAX. Made by IKEA. If you search through this very thread you will see some awesome PAX set ups.

^^^ Oh, haha, I didn't know PAX was the name. I'll check it out on IKEA now. :slap

Are the set ups around the front or middle do you know?

Ooo, nevermind, there's some info on page 1. Wow, I've been looking under displays all this time, never thought to look at wardrobe/bedroom cabinets... They are pretty expensive though.

Has anyone tried using a digital photo display in their Deltof for photo and/or motion backgrounds? If so, can anyone recommend a display for this purpose?

Bumping my re-ignition of this thread...

Ooo, nevermind, there's some info on page 1. Wow, I've been looking under displays all this time, never thought to look at wardrobe/bedroom cabinets... They are pretty expensive though.

Don't look at a PAX system, One empty PAX will cost you $100, a double is $200. You will have to buy shelves, but the doors are optional to start with and can be added later.

They don't have any smaller units like BESTA right? I will have to go by IKEA this weekend or next week to see them in person. The picture I posted earlier, was that with sliding doors or hinged doors? I might have to change my plans for a BESTA layout if I ened up getting this one, since they seem pretty big, but I definitely want something that houses the Tumbler.

I saw the PAX shelf today. I didn't measure out the Tumbler exactly but since yours fits it, I'm guessing its the largest one in the set, the $90 or $100 one? I was also wondering, what door did you use that is see-through? All the ones there were not see-through, all solids, some mirror glass, some smoked glass.

I'm almost positive that you'll need something custom if you want clear doors on a Pax. IKEA's largest (full size) doors for Pax are sliding and like you saw, I'm pretty sure they only come frosted. I know some people have gone with clear acrylic as part of a retro-fit.

Last year my local IKEA was clearing out a few sets of these doors in their as-is section for $50/set (pair of doors and hardware). Sweet deal for the frames and sliding rails alone.

I'm looking at some sliding doors, albeit they're more expensive than hinged doors, but some I can't tell if they're transparent or not, some have like black railing/frames and it looks clear in the middle but I can't tell...(https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80250274/#/60250270) I was hoping I could use PAX to house the Tumbler. I'll try to see if I can find more info on them.

Before this, my plan was to get two single BESTA units, put one in front of the other, and remove the back panel from the unit in front so that you could sort of fit a Tumbler in both, and just put a TOMBO door on the front unit. Can't really see it from the sides, but at least you can see the Tumbler from the front. Problem would be the two BESTA units are separate unless you custom drill a hole and connect the two together front to back somehow.

Hey guys, finally got around to finish this up tonight. Now that it's done, i would recommend single panel pax over my previous setup (unless you just dont like the look), it offers so much more flexibility as you can fully adjust each shelf and it has 90" height! For example set a 45" height for lsf then 15" right above for HT dolls etc.. It is also actually easier to install

For the single panel custom pax my two biggest fears were the acrylic panel wont fit properly, or even if it fits it will sag. We are talking about a 90"x40" acrylic panel, which is gigantic! Luckily everything went perfect and there is no sagging or any kind of issues.

Full spec below for anyone looking to do something similar, i am not going to duplicate details in my previous post such as lighting etc.., please see this link on those items: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4693173&postcount=9

-------------------------------

How to build your single panel 80"x90" Ikea PAX

NOTE: all measurements here are specific to the 80"x90" pax ONLY, do not copy them if you are choosing a different size. For another size, you will need to buy the sliding doors first, assemble them, then measure precisely to get the dimensions for the acrylic panels.

1) Select the correct PAX base (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79894902/#/S49894847).

Use the drop down to select the correct width/height: 78"x25"x93"

Note: Depends on the color, the measurement displayed will vary slightly, i dont know why ikea does that but it's fine as they all use the same sliding doors.

2) Order your custom display panels. (link: https://www.professionalplastics.com/PLEXIGLASS-ACRYLICSHEET-CAST?&search_id=1013418 )

- This step is CRITICAL, make sure you follow all the items below exactly.
- I ordered from professionalplastics.com, they are by far the cheapest around include shipping. But takes 2 weeks to ship.
- Make sure you order CELL CAST acrylic (linked) NOT extruded as I suggested in my old setup, because it's more rigid than extrude, given the size of the panel this is very important. Another advantage is the clarity is better but also slightly more expensive. I also selected a slightly thicker size for added rigidity.
- Exact measurement: 2X .187" THICK X 35.375" X 86.3125" @ +/-0.062 TOLERANCE

3) Select the shelf (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30215122/#/60203132 )

You need at least 3 pack (for 6 shelves), but given now you can fully adjust the height, i would buy 4 pack (8 shelves). Dont use the glass shelves, they too risky.

select the correct width: 39"x22" and match color to step 1)

4) Select the lighting(optional): (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40163844/ )

Select the correct width: 36" see my previous linked post on why this led is so great and the required accessories needed.

5) Install your PAX!

Follow the instructions except for the sliding door steps where it ask you to install the 4x horizontal beams in the two sliding doors, skip them! Just install the frame only and secure the giant acrylic panel in it! It may move slightly which is fine, in the later step you will completely secure it with those rubber plugs.

This is definitely a 2 person job as you need to align the acrylic panel into the little opening on all 4 sides of the door frame.

6) Post pictures :)

---------

COST

1x ikea Pax: $500
2x cellcast acrylic panel: $280 shipped
4x ikea shelves: $100
8x ikea KOMPLEMENT led lighting: $280
Various accessories: $40
Not constantly running out of shelf space: priceless
----
TOTAL: ~$1200

The cost here may seems a bit high at first, but if you consider how many 1/4 statues you can actually fit in this 1 setup compared to a besta or other curios, it is a bargain! Also how good it looks.

--------------------

PHOTOS: All photos are taken through the closed acrylic doors, you can see how crystal clear those panels are - much better than glass, almost 100% light pass through.

I also included some of the shelves to show the amount of statues you can actually fit in 1.

Note: in person, the lighting is no way close to this orange, it's the camera.

newpax.jpg

The one on the left is the 80" single panel, right is the old 60" fixed 3 panel setup
newpax1.jpg

newpax2.jpg

top shelf almost complete, pending mythos boba fett, attakus jawa
middle shelf pending black widow pf, and hulk maquette(will be placed in the back, hope depth is enough)
lower shelf is still being worked on, pcs dredd will go there
newpax4.jpg

top shelf all girly pf, pending pcs chun li & baby doll pf
middle shelf is my most prized setup, pending 2x hobbit maquette to complete fellowship
lower shelf pending arthas to complete blizzard set
bottom shelf pending portal 2 turret and some prop replicas as i get them.
newpax5.jpg

lotrfinal1.jpg

left top all guys, pending halo pf, sagat pf, stormshadow
left middle empty pending dc justice league pfs, has my gf dog playing piano music box in there currently :slap
left bottom optimus prime, one and only!
right top all my favorite fantasy statues - complete
right middle horror shelf, pending lady death pf
right bottom lotr bad guys, complete.
newpax6.jpg

Gagaliya's the man. :lecture Someone should add "See Page 9 for PAX building instructions".

Looks awesome!!! I wish they made doors like these. I'm horrible at DIY and modifications. I'm looking to get the 80" tall, 40" wide shelf so this won't work since he mentions it's for a bigger shelf, but that's awesome!

Back