Display Cabinet Lighting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drilled a hole in the bottom of my detolf and ran the wires through a telephone cord hider. I guess having the bar in the back could be a little distracting, but I have so many figures per shelf that I don't even notice it. I also added a mirror to the back to trap the lighting and rubber tubing on the edges of the door to seal it. Everytime I open it, the smell of new Hot Toys comes pouring out. You can see pics in my profile in one of the albums. I messed up the first time with the hole because I forgot about the risers on the bottom. Overall though, I am very happy with it.

I moved this thread to the 'How to display your collectables' section as there's all sorts of advice and help in there regarding lighting and display options.
Hope this helps.
x :wave

IMGP0341.JPG

Looking at that picture reminds me of how clean detolfs can look. Some people just overload their detolfs these days.

Looking at that picture reminds me of how clean detolfs can look. Some people just overload their detolfs these days.

I'm definately in the "some people" group. One day I'll have a more dedicated space, but for now they are in my small bedroom. I'm happy to have this problem although I'll be in quite a predicament by summer. There are just so many awesome figures coming. I just can't imagine how many I would of had if I had started collecting sooner. My wallet would have definately appreciated it.

A couple people have asked that about the wires. I'm going to take some pics this weekend of the set up, in case it's helpful. Essentially though, I modded the shelf with a small exit space for the wires between the two glass panels is the lower left hand corner. This requires that you actually run the wires/lights in during the assembly of the shelf (you can't fit them through after). Luckily, these shelves are pretty easy to set up/take apart if you want to do this after the fact. Then the wires are painstakingly taped to the under and backside of the metal cabinet frame. With a little time and patience they can be hidden almost entirely.

At the moment I have just the two detolfs set up. And I'll probably stop there for awhile. Firstly, because I have limited space to put them. Secondly, because hopefully it will keep my spending at a minimum. I only have about seven figures, so it works out that they can all have their own shelf. I've got quite a few more ordered though. I'm thinking of keeping the single figure per shelf look, and just swapping them out from time to time. Truth be told, I like packing/unpacking them as much as posing/displaying them, so this just helps keep it interesting to me.

where the hell is the damn tootorial:gah:

:lol

I cant remember what the parts were like but of you don't use the hole in the top how about switching top and bottom plates or even flip the case upside down?

Yeah, I definitely like the "empty" look. Right now I only have one Detolf, because I had to cart it cross-country in a move, and have about three to a shelf. When the Ikea in Denver opens at the end of this year, I'll be getting another so my figures can stretch their legs a bit.

Thought I'd post here as it came up in my search!!

I'm developing a lighting system with a LED light factory in China that will benefit the Detolf!!

All I can say at this moment but cant wait to show you guys!!

NOTE: This is posted in the LED forum too, but I wasn't getting any feedback there, so I wanted to ask here as well.

Does anyone know of an LED lighting kit that allows you to have multiple LEDs (strips or disks) in different colors connected to one power source?

For example, I have a four shelf display case that I would like to light such that each shelf is a different color (ex: red, blue, purple, orange). Kind of like this... https://barlighting.com/forum/index.p...attach=5;image
However, this requires 8(!) different kits to achieve 8 different colors at once. Each kit in this picture has four disc lights, but only one light disc is being used per shelf. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have $200 to drop on 4 LED kits just so I can light my shelves with different colors.

Hence, my original question. If anybody has info, suggestions, etc., please feel free to reply. Thanks!

Last edited:
Saw your post there but had no answer for you. No need to caps lock though ;)
Just had a thought. Your dilemma is that you want different color for each shelf and if you use multicolor LED you will need separate controller for each and no way around it which is the true source of your cost. However if you look for LeD strips that are colored by default as in not able to change color then no need for control modul.
I have no experience which is a good place to source these but a local shop be better so you can see it for yourself but I guess eBay is you other choice.

:borg

I have seen 1 multiple color LED setup in a Detolf while I was searching LED lighting a few weeks ago.

From what I remember there aren't any LED strips that are all different colors straight out of the box. They all all the same color or they all change to different colors together, simultaneously.

The person who actually pulled this off had to modify the LED's but I don't know how they achieved that. I want to say they used some software to do it but I'm not certain. It was on a collector's forum though, just not this one.

If I can find it again I'll link it here, good luck.

You can find diff colored LEDs on eBay. At least I remember seeing them months back

:borg:

Sorry about the caps lock. Just kept it on by default after typing "NOTE" not even thinking it could be construed as yelling or frustration. I wasn't upset about not getting a response, I just saw that this thread had more posts and figured more people read it.

Thanks for the tips!

Have anybody tried the brand Rite Lite?

I am using it and it is pretty cool, forgive me of not uploading any photo of it because my camera is dead ....

I have purchased a few brands lately, it is probably the best wireless one.

Have anybody tried the brand Rite Lite?

I am using it and it is pretty cool, forgive me of not uploading any photo of it because my camera is dead ....

I have purchased a few brands lately, it is probably the best wireless one.

Is that the brand Costco used to carry? if so, Kingconq had a thread about those lights with pics and they looked very good. I could be mistaken though :monkey1

Hey, does anyone know what this is called?

I bought some cabinets with 32 pin lights all factory installed from like a showcase in a store. Lights arent turning on. All the lights are wired to the end piece and it looks like it twists into some sort of connector/ power cord combo or something. Ive never seen anything like this before, any help would be much appreciated. Any info at all to point me in the right direction, thank you.

Anyone know where I can find the single puck lights that you just plug in? I tried Home Depot but they didn't have them. I'm going to try Lowes later today. I have two of the detolfs. When I bought my first one I was able to get a single puck light for it but the only thing that sucked about it was the cord wasn't long enough so I had to add a extension cord. If I can't find the single puck lights I may try something else.

Back