Display Cabinet Lighting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THanks for answer, but do you recommend round dioders or the strip ones?

Technically the "Dioder" product from IKEA is a strip LED, so yes that's what I liked personally. I hated the IKEA NON's which were puck style and gave off weaker light.

Let us know what you decide!

I definitely want to pick up a set of the dioders. Especially because I've got my detolf in my office, which is dim to begin with.

I just want to find a good way to hide the wiring, as that is definitely what I like least about the dioders / most detolf lighting.

Technically the "Dioder" product from IKEA is a strip LED, so yes that's what I liked personally. I hated the IKEA NON's which were puck style and gave off weaker light.

Let us know what you decide!

Dioder are not only the strips. They have the round ones too which I use. I highly recommend Dioder as it generates very little heat, if any.

I just posted these pics yesterday in an Iron Man thread. Maybe they'll come in handy here. Similar set up to others I've seen on here. Real project burying the wires. These are the white dioder lights. Cheers.

IMGP0348.JPG

IMGP0341.JPG

IMGP0345.JPG

I just posted these pics yesterday in an Iron Man thread. Maybe they'll come in handy here. Similar set up to others I've seen on here. Real project burying the wires. These are the white dioder lights. Cheers.

IMGP0348.JPG

Do you position the lights in the middle of Detlof, right above the figures or in front/back corner?

Are the LED Ikea strips better because they illuminate the entire shelf if you have multiple figures or do they do about the same job as the LED Dioder pucks?

Last edited:

IMGP0348.JPG

IMGP0341.JPG

IMGP0345.JPG

Awesome Rory. This is one of my favourite displays I've seen on SSF, talk about getting bang for buck out of each and every figure. You really do them justice with the poses, the space and the lighting.

I want one.

Yeah, one figure per shelf is indeed awesome, and when i had mine like that it really gave it a museum feel. But then again, you can only put 4 figures per detolf.. What about the rest? How many detolfs do you have?

Aaaalsooo, where the hell are the wires, rory? I see they don't come out through the little hole in the "ceiling". Where do they come out of the detolf?

Yeah, one figure per shelf is indeed awesome, and when i had mine like that it really gave it a museum feel. But then again, you can only put 4 figures per detolf.. What about the rest? How many detolfs do you have?

Aaaalsooo, where the hell are the wires, rory? I see they don't come out through the little hole in the "ceiling". Where do they come out of the detolf?

A couple people have asked that about the wires. I'm going to take some pics this weekend of the set up, in case it's helpful. Essentially though, I modded the shelf with a small exit space for the wires between the two glass panels is the lower left hand corner. This requires that you actually run the wires/lights in during the assembly of the shelf (you can't fit them through after). Luckily, these shelves are pretty easy to set up/take apart if you want to do this after the fact. Then the wires are painstakingly taped to the under and backside of the metal cabinet frame. With a little time and patience they can be hidden almost entirely.

At the moment I have just the two detolfs set up. And I'll probably stop there for awhile. Firstly, because I have limited space to put them. Secondly, because hopefully it will keep my spending at a minimum. I only have about seven figures, so it works out that they can all have their own shelf. I've got quite a few more ordered though. I'm thinking of keeping the single figure per shelf look, and just swapping them out from time to time. Truth be told, I like packing/unpacking them as much as posing/displaying them, so this just helps keep it interesting to me.

Thanks for your answer. Yes, definitely post some pics when you have the time of how you hid the wires :)

Regarding the figures, i want to see them all at once, can't stand to have a figure being packed up (although, now i have a police joker without the body :D , must buy body soon).

Rory, that is one sweet lighting setup you've done!

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing picks of how you did it.

Presently I only have halogen lights from a multi-light ceiling setup lighting up my figs. I love the warmth that these lights give but the majority of the figures displayed towards the back of the shelves end up in some kind of shadow. (I have 2 and/or 3 figures per shelf.) Your setup looks considerably better, all around.

Halogens put off a vast amount of heat.

LEDs are more effecient, cost less to operate, and are much safer for figures/collectibles.

I'd be worried that halogens would melt everything under them!

If you have problems with shadows in your cabinet, try a mirror either on the back, on the floor, or both.

Kick ass set up Rory, and ty for the explanation of your light set up. :goodpost:

Currently mine are running north exiting the hole up top but thanks to you I'll be re-doing them and trying your south side strategy :slap

Back