Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm Ltd.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well in that case, Iron Man (the template for all Marvel Studios stuff) was released before Disney ever became involved. In that situation, I think Disney did the right thing by letting the guys who already knew what they were doing, continue to do that stuff. . .specifically Kevin Feige who has remained the chief architect of what Marvel has done (very successfully).

In the Star Wars case, the guys who have previously been doing it were doing it badly. So, an intervention of sorts is needed. I'm not saying Disney can't do good by this franchise and can't give us great movies, etc., but I wouldn't personally use Marvel as a comparable example. Marvel was already going in the right direction before Disney got involved.

I agree about the intervention. Fortunately there are SW fans who work for Disney. I would bet Joss Weadon will get to read these screenplays before the cameras roll and offer feedback. As a Firefly fan I think this would be a good thing.

What I meant about Marvel - there were people when the buyout happened suggesting Goofy and Mickey were going to show up in Marvel comics and the hot chicks and more grown up storytelling would go away. They were wrong. Disney has allowed Marvel to be Marvel with a bigger checkbook.

I remember that too, though not as early as 1978... I think I heard it around 1984. :lecture

Its in the official program that came out in 1977, Lucas also states that he has plans for 4 more films and the next one will feature an iceworld and a swamp planet.

Its in the official program that came out in 1977, Lucas also states that he has plans for 4 more films and the next one will feature an iceworld and a swamp planet.

It does seem that Lucas kept changing his mind on how many movies he intended - but once ROTJ hit, the man was clearly over it for a long time

Not as cool, but I remember in 1995 before the prequels were even officially announced someone that I briefly worked with knew the clones mentioned in ANH were Mandalorians. Maybe that was widespread knowledge at the time but I never heard it. Some people could be in the know, others could just be guessing. With so much speculation about the SW verse (even back in 1978) someone's guesses were bound to be right.

I remember GL saying Boba was a renegade Stormtrooper in the making of Empire documentary, so may be someones put 2 and 2 together and got lucky?

So does this mean we may finally get to see Star Wars the original cut?

Not anytime soon. That one is stored in the Library of Congress. Even if Disney were to aquire it they would need 20th Century Fox's permission to release it.

Five of the existing films will revert to Disney in 8 years - Empire, Jedi and the PT. The right to distribute Star Wars remains with Fox forever, or until such a time Disney sits down and offers them a buttload of cash.

if FOX was smart, they'd re release the original star wars on blu ray yesterday

They might not have the legal ability. I can only imagine that it's a very complicated legal mess.

if FOX was smart, they'd re release the original star wars on blu ray yesterday

The originals prints have never had a hi-def transfer. The 2006 DVD originals were struck from NTSC non-anamorphic laserdisk masters (made in the early 90's).

The originals prints have never had a hi-def transfer. The 2006 DVD originals were struck from NTSC non-anamorphic laserdisk masters.

English! Do you speak it?! :lol

I don't get the big deal about the 2006 DVDs. I think they look fine. What's wrong with them? I'm so happy to see the original theatrical cuts without having to endure all the tracking on my overplayed VHS copies. I was most bummed about the stereo sound and lack of surround on the 2006 releases.

2nd try.

• Ink said Fox should put out the originals on Bluray. Bluray is HD.
  • The original, unaltered films have never been mastered in HD.
  • DVD is not HD.

Ah. "NTSC non-anamorphic laserdisk masters" is what confused me. What's anamorphic widescreen? I've seen that complaint about the 2006 cuts before and it almost stopped me from getting them. But I scored them for $20 off Amazon and am so happy. My RotJ VHS from '95 doesn't even work last time I tried watching it a couple years ago.

widescreen-vs-fullscreen.jpg

The english version of anamorphic widescreen: If you play it on a regular TV (the pre-flatscreen ones) there would be letterboxing, but on an HDTV those letterbox areas disappear and the image fills the screen.

AN HD image would have 1080 lines of resolution. The Laserdisks had 480, and ~ 20% of those were filled with black letterboxing at the top and bottom of the screen.

If you have a HDTV you can zoom to get rid of the bars, but the image just gets fuzzier.

George has never allowed (or been willing to pay) for a 4k master transfer of the unaltered films. Perhaps Disney would if the negatives or technicolor prints are in good enough shape. But Fox would have to allow Disney to sell the new transfers.

I think I would rather they totally start from scratch post Rotj rather than screw up the existing eu. Buts mainly I think i would prefer that they move further into the future but I could sacrifice the dark horse legacy stuff.

Okay, okay... trying to look past this as a good thing. So now that Lucas' opinion has no virtue in it since he sold out. What does this mean for the 78' Holiday Special??? Lucas said he doesn't even recognize it, will Disney do the same? Heck I still have a bootleg VHS copy (Still works mind you).

Also, just for perks of the people who hate this idea here's a funny quote to make people laugh about this...

Luke-"Ben? What is it?"
Ben-"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

:lol

Just thought. Maybe that's why there's so many continunity errors in the clone wars. Lucas warming up for a new continunity based on his films only.

Back