Disney Buys Marvel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope but the last few appearances the Muppets had on TV was with Disney's talentless tween singers... :rolleyes:
I love Disney, but they have some pretty lame concepts too...
I'm also recalling how the Muppets were whored out to Pizza Hut a couple years ago :monkey4

I'm not saying the sky is falling, but we just don't know what is gonna happen yet. Personally, I'm optimistic that things won't get too messed up, but Disney is a business and if they feel that they can do something better than Marvel is doing it now (again, not an unreasonable expectation) they could take more control of the property.

I think a lot of people are over-reacting to this. Disney's not going to do crap to Marvel. First Disney allows for super violent stuff, they own Miramax, and that produces very faminly un-friendly stuff. Second Joe Q has made it clear that this is basically the PIXAR deal, where Disney is hands off and and Pixar can do whatever they want. I'm not saying Disney is the nicest company in the world, but they spent 4 BILLION to buy Marvel, then didn't spend that much to screw around with the them. Anyone who is freaking out is overreacting, this thing is only good, as it will just give Marvel more resources. Relax, and just start counting the days until you see the Marvel studios logo pop up on the big screen, then followed by Luxo Jr :D

Almost bankrupt in the mid 90's and now this news.

Marvel has found the fountain of youth and it is Disney--the possibilities are exciting. It's a smart decision IMHO for the company and its workers, basically solidifying their existence as a company for all time (though part of Disney).

Does anyone think the creative direction for the SS Marvel license will change? It is known that Marvel had a say in what's produced--will some lines (Hughes, Brooks) still be as adult centered content wise?

I'm much more excited for this today than yesterday. Mulled over it a bit.

Re: So much for our brloved Marvel Movies

haha, our beloved Marvel movies? they've made one good movie and all of the sudden it's "our beloved Marvel movies?" Disney's track record for making good movies is a lot longer than Marvel's so let's not jump the gun here.

That's the trendy thing to do though, seems a lot of folk can't think for themselves and go along with the crowd. :rolleyes:

Yup, that's the internet for ya. :rolleyes:

BTW, love your Scott Campbell 80's sig! Yo Disney, buy the Thundercats, we need us a bad ass pixar film representing them!

Although, I never got into the MAX line because it got too sadistic for my taste, I collected Punisher for close to 20 years. That said, I have read SOME of the Punisher MAX line and Disney isn't going to let the Ennis rape, sex/suicide, and graphic torture be attached to anything they produce. If you think Disney is going to allow a comic, that they own, show a woman getting her nipples cut off and and then shooting herself in the head as she has sex (which happened in a MAX comic), you don't know Disney.

Don't get me wrong, I think the current revamp of Punisher is going to continue, but I would expect the violence to be turned down to late 90's levels or the Punisher War Journel levels.

That's just sick, I'm not one for censorship but I could almost get behind the idea of that stuff being shut down. But I'm inclined to agree with others that Disney isn't likely to change a whole lot at Marvel.

What? Huh?

Wow, that's random. I guess Marvel Island will soon be disappearing from the Universal Studios park here in Orlando?

That would be seriosly upsetting and disappointing. I've gone to IOA for years and Marvel land is by far my favorite thing there. The rides and scenery pretty much accounts for 75% of the park IMO!

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one :eek:

Re: So much for our brloved Marvel Movies

haha, our beloved Marvel movies? they've made one good movie and all of the sudden it's "our beloved Marvel movies?" Disney's track record for making good movies is a lot longer than Marvel's so let's not jump the gun here.

:clap:flag:clap:flag:clap:flag:clap

They actually have land set aside in the parking areas for a 3rd Gate not to mention there was an idea of land nearby that Disney owned, has done nothing with that could be turned with peoplemovers bringing guests from place to place similar to FL. They have plans for at least two more parks in CA the problem is getting all of it work right and getting DCA to make enough revenue to make it viable.

Although, the Marvel Max line may disappear. I may be wrong, but I don't see Disney keeping a line that shows rape, lots of cursing, graphic suicide and sex stay in a comic owned by them.

You never know, peopole forget who owns who, I forgot Disney owned Touchstone, a lot of people forget they've bought Miramax, in a while unless they really push themselves into the Marvel door, people will forget its owned by the Mouse. Some people still don't know that ESPN is Disney owned....

I didn't know Disney owns ESPN, I just thought they had some sort of deal since Disney has the Wide World of Sports. I also didn't know about Touchstone and Miramax. But like I said my bigger fear isn't for Marvel, its for Marvel invading Disney. :lol

Wow, TheMike, you're like a living wikipedia, the amount of knowledge you have about everything constantly astonishes me. I thought I knew a lot of random little facts about Disney theme parks, I tip my hat to you good sir.

I didn't know Disney owns ESPN, I just thought they had some sort of deal since Disney has the Wide World of Sports. I also didn't know about Touchstone and Miramax. But like I said my bigger fear isn't for Marvel, its for Marvel invading Disney. :lol

Its an understandable concern, there are people on Disney concentrated forum who are outraged at the idea of Spider-Man walking around as a greetable/meetable character. In reality, Disney has purchased many different entities, they own The Muppets, they own The Power Rangers, they own the Pixar characters, they've even bought many various Manga/Anime characters for concentrations in their overseas parks. We don't see them wondering around too much. Pixar characters were held at bay, used very slim until Disney fully owned them because there was a chance they'd lose Pixar, even after that you may have a few attractions but seeing Buzz, Woody, Crush outside of their designated areas is a rarity. The Muppets are almost never seen (yes there are big versions of Kermit and Piggy you can take pictures with) and if they are they are at DHS and DCA. I guarantee you Marvel will be the same way, they'll put a few attractions in here and there, probably parade floats but nothing over the top, in fact in Florida they won't even be in that capacity until the details of the Universal contract are worked out.

Wow, TheMike, you're like a living wikipedia, the amount of knowledge you have about everything constantly astonishes me. I thought I knew a lot of random little facts about Disney theme parks, I tip my hat to you good sir.

:lol Thanks! Mainly its obessive compulsive, when I get into stuff I get really entrenched in research on it but I do know a little about a lot. :D

The interesting part won't be the parks which is the most visual or the books which will operate independently, but it'll be the Animation division which is broken up into three different entities. The standard 2-D Animation, the in-house 3-D that made "Meet the Robinsons" and "Chicken Little" as well as "Mickey's Philharmagic" at the MK park and Pixar which its own separate division running independently for the most part. Marvel has already met with Pixar but there are rumors that the first teeth cut might be in the 2D Animation realm....usually the three never cross.....

Back