Dioder alternative?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally ordered them last week I just ordered everything from different us sellers because i didn't want to wait a month. I got these 700-800lumen https://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-300-LED-5050-SMD-Pure-White-Waterproof-Flexible-Light-Lamp-Strip-DC-12V-New-/150777018495?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231b02b87f and this type remote https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-light-Single-Color-RF-Dimmer-Wireless-Remote-Control-Controller-12-24V-8A-/300733922755?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item4605237dc3 here's a pic dimmed as low as it can go and all the way bright in a pitck dark room
P1020250_zps614ece03.jpg
P1020249_zps49414076.jpg
I like em:)

What kind of shelf are you using for you PF ?

Thanks

Urgh!!!

I bought some ikea dioder strips on eBay. Freaking cables aren't long enough to do all four shelves.

---
Sent from a hungry monkey's iPad

Nice work!
Can you share a pic of how you wired your LEDs? Might as well gather up all the options here

Sure i can do that :) I am going to paint that room soon maybe this weekend and I will pull it away from the wall and take a few

this is what i did

Soldered wires to 1.5' pieces of led light strip for each shelf(i also put a long strip on top) and made some holes in back of besta to run the wires through
https://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b565/rkbrawl/P1020604_zpsb5bbb595.jpg

then ran the led strips in pairs to connectors ---- to Y adapter -----> to dimmer ------> to power adapter

https://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b565/rkbrawl/P1020608_zps2d824b8f.jpg

https://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b565/rkbrawl/P1020609_zpsc8d1abca.jpg

makes it easy for me to remove or add any i want :)

to bad I noted this thread not earlier.. been to IKEA myself and picked up two packs of the Dioder just to notice that they are now pissed yellow instead of the nice white... Will return those.

I ordered now a curable roll for $20 and will solder some wires on it and customize it myself.. I might keep one Dioder and use their transformer :D

I just discovered the same problem. Not sure what to do because it's a perfect setup for my existing cabinet and I want the lighting the same in both.

I'm wondering if I should mix and match. 2 yellow in the middle, a white top and bottom...

I've decided to keep them. From top to bottom it's white, warm, white, warm. So white light is hitting statues from the top and warm from the bottom. My mirror backing and glass shelving helps the lighting blend. I still prefer the intensity of all white and the museum-ish presence it creates but I'll live with my changes. It's more homely and fits the environment (bedroom) better.

OK After hibernating for a few months again here are finally some pictures of the two LED strips I picked up. I took the following pictures focused on colour and brightness to match what I see as much as possible so to make your decision making process a little easier. Same f stop, shutter speed and exposure so should be relatively objective comparison... should have put up a white piece of paper but oh well maybe next time :p

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/160562259516?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
this is the one I picked up and delivered in under 2 weeks and its very bright in its brightest setting

ok assuming they are all the same strips I ordered this one instead for my real round which does not incl the powersupply so total is a bit more per 5m but its a RF remote :p
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10M-RGB-SMD...airy_Lights&hash=item231e087829#ht_6302wt_960
These are the set of pictures I took of the multicolor 5050s
ledcool.jpg

This is using the cool white setting and has the most light output but still significantly less then 5630. It has a very bluish tint and washes out some of the colours so I will not likely use it (unless I use it for my Terminator setup ;))

ledwarm.jpg

This is using the warm white setting and you can see it is a little less light ouput than the cool white. Might be just enough for Besta. It creates very realistic colours and skin tones and will be my preferred choice.

ledwarmplus.jpg

I combined the LEDs with the wireless LED lights I got from Costco which is more of a cooler (but not bluish) white and I like it even though I am stuck with switching batteries again :p

led5630.jpg

These are the 5630 LEDs very bright and certainly no problem to illuminate a Besta shelf BUT this set is too blue almost crossing into purple. If you can find these in lower K these would be perfect. You can see how bright these are compared to the 5050s oh I aimed these into the wrong direction so they ended up illuminating the front of the case instead of the content. Maybe I come back later with the correct setup if there is an interest here for it. DX doesn't seem to carry a 5630 set that has the warmer K specs but will keep an eye open as this would be the ultimate choice

Last edited:
LEDWholesalers on Amazon is where (from whom) I pick up most of my LED ribbon. The cool white is quite white, but I generally prefer the 3700k warm which has a very pleasing glow.

Which one did you get? I searched and the seller ledwholesalers seems to only have 1 single color and 2 RGB option available. I never even thought to check amazon.ca but too bad they don't have any 5630 nor 5730 LEDs which are the brighter ones. 5050 RGB is barely acceptable not sure if 5050 single color is better but I skipped 3528 completely as its even weaker. Besides 5050 is cheap enough and lots of sells channel and color option. But my goal is to hold off any further purchase until I see more 5630 or even 5730 with the warmer whites

:borg "Resistance is Futile"

3528's are pretty bright if you have 60 LEDs per meter (300 for the whole strip). My RGB 5050's are spaced twice the distance with only 150 for the strip and they just don't rival the smaller LEDs for white light. If you get white 5050's with a 60 per meter count I'm sure they'll be insanely bright. Keep in mind that if you have a very dark background in your cabinet, plus dark walls and shelf, they're going to eat up a lot of the light. You'd be surprised what a difference even just a white shelf floor can make. Especially nice if you can't see the floor, then it just works to reflect back some light without the viewer knowing how/why.

I never shop on Amazon.ca, only Amazon.com, so I don't know if that makes a difference when searching.

Let us know if you get any experience with the other size LEDs as well. Power consumption is important for me too, so I've been using the smaller 3528 for applications where I only need white.

If I can be sure 3528 white is bright enough I would pick that. Yes power consumption would be reduced and one power supply would suffice for a lot of lights!
Wiring would be easier w two leads (vs RGB needing 4) for single colour but I got tempted by the RGB option and the rf remote :p

Ohhhhhhhhh Amazon.com is good!!! They even have 5730! I may need to try that for another backlight setup

I just got 2 new cabinets to add to the 8 I have already and bought some new lights and they are VERY different!!!! Clones and Troopers would all look piss yellow...grrr

My IKEA said that they never noticed the difference, but a girl at the next spot at the return counter said that Dioder have been a high return item...gee I wonder why?

very informative thread. I did not know Ikea had changed the LED's in teh Dioder kit until I bought an additional Detolf cabinet to add to my toy display and installed the lights, plugged them in and pushed the switch and shocked the light was so yellow and so less bright than the others I purchased a year or more ago. I was very disappointed to say the least but i ad already run all the wires, etc. and wasn't going to tear it back out. So, now i'm looking at the LED Bar Lighting website or contemplating replacing them all with custom LED strip setup. I"ll need a good 16' at least to cover all the cabinets.

it's clear in the picture which is the new LED Dioder kit and the results it provides are absolutely awful.

photo80.JPG

Back