1/6 Did Your '89 Batmobile Arrive Damaged?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did your '89 Batmobile arrive damaged?

• Yes, my '89 Batmobile arrived damaged.

Votes: 93 42.7%
  • No, my '89 Batmobile arrived without damage.

Votes: 125 57.3%

• Total voters
Or BBTS didn't notice the damage/ignored the "minor" scratches. I don't think any conclusions can be drawn from that really.

What we need to know, is if there are any complaints in HK?

I find that REALLY hard to believe. BBTS has probably gotten 100s of photos about these issues from tons of customers. They put the inspecting policy in place to stop getting those e-mails and having to issue returns and refunds. Why would they NOT notice the scratches?

My box was clearly shipping upside down at times and not handled with care, and it arrived damage after having been inspected. I personally have contacted UPS and BBTS about the issue on Friday and am waiting to hear back today, but I have to agree with Spanbauer that UPS caused this damage and I will be telling them as much.

I find that REALLY hard to believe. BBTS has probably gotten 100s of photos about these issues from tons of customers. They put the inspecting policy in place to stop getting those e-mails and having to issue returns and refunds. Why would they NOT notice the scratches?

My box was clearly shipping upside down at times and not handled with care, and it arrived damage after having been inspected. I personally have contacted UPS and BBTS about the issue on Friday and am waiting to hear back today, but I have to agree with Spanbauer that UPS caused this damage and I will be telling them as much.
I don't know how much weight those warnings on the box carry from a legal standpoint, but the carriers clearly aren't paying much attention to "this end up" and "handle with care", which is resulting in damage. Hot Toys did a pisspoor job of packaging this, but I think Sideshow would have a strong case against the carriers if they wanted to file an insurance claim for all of these return shipments.

Bigbadtoystore actually put several "GLASS, HANDLE WITH CARE", "THIS SIDE UP" and fragile stickers all over the box in addition to the warning graphics that were already on the brown shipper box. And I don't mean on one side either, they stuck them all over the box. I was actually really impressed with that and stated as much in my email to them about the damage.

I've watched my carriers too and they haven't been brutal from what I've seen. The guy that delivered the first one from Sideshow used a dolly roller. It was vertical for maybe 30 seconds. The guy that delivered the second one from BBTS held it up right (this side up) to my door where he handed it to me. I have no idea what went on before that though from California to here or Wisconsin to here, so who knows.

My art boxes have been immaculate too. NONE of my brown mailer boxes have really sustained gouges, crushed edges or anything nasty when I've received them.

Personally, I don't blame USPS, FEDEX, UPS or any of the carriers. I don't blame the retailers either. This is all Hot Toys. What stinks though is, the whole thing has been handled pretty well, from manufacturing to production to shipping. The contents don't really shift and everything from the foam to the inserts seem solid. The lights work, nothing is missing, etc. It's just that damn area in the middle around the canopy that's been compromised. It's a pity that they didn't just place a little plastic sheet over top of the thing or something or another foam buffer. That would have remedied many, if not all issues. I mean, I can tell a lot of care went into this thing from the way the vehicle is bolted and screwed into the cardboard bottom, the foam cocoon armor, the ingenious idea of using the magnet tool to open the slots, covers and panels as to not scratch the surface and just the overall quality construction of the vehicle itself. It's a shame that a little 1 inch to 3 inch diameter is ruining all that effort.

Last edited:
Problem is just about everything travelling around the world has ''Fragile'' stickers on it. Its all the same to these carriers.

What I don't understand though is this. Surely the further the shipping location the worse the damage should be? That hasn't been the case at all. There has been no correlation between distance and damage. Which suggests the damage happened before leaving SS?

If this is happening due to handling, it must be either a: the stock arrived like that to SS. Entire shipment was mishandled, or B: storage in SS has been piss poor?

What I don't understand though is this. Surely the further the shipping location the worse the damage should be? That hasn't been the case at all. Which suggests the damage happened before leaving SS.

If this is happening due to handling, it must be either a: the stock arrived like that to SS. Entire shipment was mishandled, or B: storage in SS has been piss poor?

Yup, doesn't make any sense.

You and I pretty much got the same 1st batch from Sideshow too. Mine went from California to Pennsylvania and yours went from California to Europe. Yours was obviously a further trip than mine, yet yours was mark free.

Then there's the issue of Sideshow, BBTS, CSC, Alterego, etc. inspecting before they sent out and not finding any damage (unless they're lying, which I doubt that's the case with ALL the retailers since 1, they know what to look for and 2, don't want to risk having to deal with returns).

The whole situation is baffling, unless of course the key is "this side up" and the ones that turned out perfect somehow managed to miraculously ship from point A to point B in a smooth, non-upturned ride.

I'm really curious to see how my Warnerbros. Store order will turn out seeing as it will arrive in one to two day Air next day delivery on a plane.

What I don't understand though is this. Surely the further the shipping location the worse the damage should be? That hasn't been the case at all. There has been no correlation between distance and damage. Which suggests the damage happened before leaving SS?

If the box stays right-side up and isn't piled under other heavy boxes, I have no doubt it could ship from Sideshow to Europe without damage. But if it gets thrown upside down into the back of an airplane for an 8hr flight, gravity is going to take its toll and the weight of the car is going to come down on that shield.

Bigbadtoystore actually put several "GLASS, HANDLE WITH CARE", "THIS SIDE UP" and fragile stickers all over the box in addition to the warning graphics that were already on the brown shipper box. And I don't mean on one side either, they stuck them all over the box. I was actually really impressed with that and stated as much in my email to them about the damage.

I've watched my carriers too and they haven't been brutal from what I've seen. The guy that delivered the first one from Sideshow used a dolly roller. It was vertical for maybe 30 seconds. The guy that delivered the second one from BBTS held it up right (this side up) to my door where he handed it to me. I have no idea what went on before that though from California to here or Wisconsin to here, so who knows.

My art boxes have been immaculate too. NONE of my brown mailer boxes have really sustained gouges, crushed edges or anything nasty when I've received them.

Personally, I don't blame USPS, FEDEX, UPS or any of the carriers. I don't blame the retailers either. This is all Hot Toys. What stinks though is, the whole thing has been handled pretty well, from manufacturing to production to shipping. The contents don't really shift and everything from the foam to the inserts seem solid. The lights work, nothing is missing, etc. It's just that damn area in the middle around the canopy that's been compromised. It's a pity that they didn't just place a little plastic sheet over top of the thing or something or another foam buffer. That would have remedied many, if not all issues. I mean, I can tell a lot of care went into this thing from the way the vehicle is bolted and screwed into the cardboard bottom, the foam cocoon armor, the ingenious idea of using the magnet tool to open the slots, covers and panels as to not scratch the surface and just the overall quality construction of the vehicle itself. It's a shame that a little 1 inch to 3 inch diameter is ruining all that effort.
Oh I'm definitely not clearing Hot Toys of the blame here, they're absolutely responsible for not packaging these things proper; the whole issue could have likely been avoided had they included just one more piece of foam, for sure. And I don't think this is a case of those horror story youtube videos that show delivery truck drivers carelessly throwing packages over fences, either. But I do believe that if the precautions on the box were followed - keeping the car right-side up and not stacking other packages on top - then the car can and would arrive in pristine condition. If this were not the case, then none of us would have unscratched Batmobiles.

The damage numbers on this are ASTONISHING !I Never would thought would end up like this truly horrible to those who recieved damaged ones. I thank my lucky stars for recieving a good one.

If the box stays right-side up and isn't piled under other heavy boxes, I have no doubt it could ship from Sideshow to Europe without damage. But if it gets thrown upside down into the back of an airplane for an 8hr flight, gravity is going to take its toll and the weight of the car is going to come down on that shield.
Sure, but that doesn't change the odds of a longer shipment time creating a larger chance of damage? the longer this is in transit, the chances of mishandling multiply significantly. This hasn't been the case.
Yup, doesn't make any sense.

You and I pretty much got the same 1st batch from Sideshow too. Mine went from California to Pennsylvania and yours went from California to Europe. Yours was obviously a further trip than mine, yet yours was mark free.

I'm really curious to see how my Warnerbros. Store order will turn out seeing as it will arrive in one to two day Air next day delivery on a plane.

Yes, exactly, and best of luck with this one man, 3rd time lucky.

Sure, but that doesn't change the odds of a longer shipment time creating a larger chance of damage? the longer this is in transit, the chances of mishandling multiply significantly. This hasn't been the case.
That would only be true if the number of stops the package made also increased, right? Do you still have your tracking info? Mine was picked up in Ventura, CA - shipped to Lenexa, KS and then to St Paul, MN before getting on a truck for delivery. So it got on and off a truck/plane six times. So long as the box is left right-side up and on top of the pile for the duration of the trip, it shouldn't matter how far it travels.

I don't understand what you mean by this...no one is disputing ODDS they are just telling you why they think the damage is occurring. If the package is handled properly it arrives undamaged, distance be damned. I believe it's as simple as that. It's a matter of who gets their hands on it and when.

I have worked for UPS loading up planes at 3AM and I would handle that box a lot different then my co-worker right next to me. My father has been a UPS Driver for 28 years and he would handle that package different then his co-workers. The guys who unload onto the sort belts at the facilities would all handle it differently, and the guys who load the trucks in the morning (not always the driver mind you) would all load it different. It's a BIG crap shoot and distance plays little part in it. A package going from CA to NY has about the same hands on it as from Southern CA to Northern CA. They all go from the hub through sorting to a plane to sorting to the local hub through sorting to the driver. It's not like because it has to go 2000 extra miles 20 more people handle the package....it's on a plane that whole way there and if it was placed upright with no boxes on it....undamaged.

I don't understand what you mean by this...no one is disputing ODDS they are just telling you why they think the damage is occurring. If the package is handled properly it arrives undamaged, distance be damned. I believe it's as simple as that. It's a matter of who gets their hands on it and when.

Your an angry little sack boy aren't you?

I'm not sure you understand my post, but thanks for sharing your opinion with the rest of us.

That would only be true if the number of stops the package made also increased, right? Do you still have your tracking info? Mine was picked up in Ventura, CA - shipped to Lenexa, KS and then to St Paul, MN before getting on a truck for delivery. So it got on and off a truck/plane six times. So long as the box is left right-side up and on top of the pile for the duration of the trip, it shouldn't matter how far it travels.

Yeah, that's a good point, but I'm pretty sure mine went via several countries to get here.

Eh, I don't think Tesio expressed any anger.

In the end, I don't think we'll ever really know what's going on with this thing. The thing I hate the most is Hot Toys lack of communication on the subject. I know it's not surprising, they're mum about everything, but this is a big release in every single way and you can tell the distributors and retailers are feeling just as burned by it.

Your an angry little sack boy aren't you?

I'm not sure you understand my post, but thanks for sharing your opinion with the rest of us.

lolwut? No anger here, not sure why you feel the need to attack me.

Yeah, that's a good point, but I'm pretty sure mine went via several countries to get here.

It's very true that different countries is a whole different story as far as how many people handle it. No idea there honestly. I would still have to go with really good luck as this is the e-mail I got from BBTS about my scratches

I apologize for this matter and thank you for providing the information. From what I have been informed UPS will be conducting an evaluation of your package and may return it. If they don't, please tell me so I can arrange a return for you. After reviewing your photos, we have determined that there must be another problem with the Hot Toys Batmobile packaging. We have inspected numerous Batmobile units and did not ship any that were even remotely close to having a scuff or blemish. The ratio was 1 in every 3 were not acceptable for us to ship, so it is greatly disappointing to see this happen after all of the time and effort put forth by our staff.

It seems they thoroughly checked these before sending them out so I personally have to believe that this could only happen from UPS mishandling the package as they are the only people to touch it between BBTS and my front door.

From the Hot Toys Facebook page:

The scratches are supposed to be there and they are actually bullet marks from the Gotham chase scene.

:cuckoo: :panic:

It's the ones that have no marks that are really the factory defects.

:horror :thud:

:rotfl OK, so not quite true. :lol

From the Hot Toys Facebook page:

The scratches are supposed to be there and they are actually bullet marks from the Gotham chase scene.

:cuckoo: :panic:

It's the ones that have no marks that are really the factory defects.

:horror :thud:

:rotfl OK, so not quite true. :lol
:rotfl, I have heard them come out with stuff almost as bad.

Back