DID WWII US 2nd Armored Division "Hell-on-Wheels" SSGT Donald

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the DiD Goebbels desk and that looks great with Winston Churchill sat behind it.

I think some people were using those Gen Patton boots for custom Wardaddy.

I got a few WW2 figs, Mostly Dragon, Sorry about the focus on some of the pics below, I think my camera lens is screwed?

I think the new Dragon figs are just as good as any HT fig quality wise. I guess they don't have to pay any licence fee to make their unofficial figs but they are still great value for money.
I also love the fact that the box covers double as a backdrop, probably get one with a picture of a Sherman with this fig.
]

great collection. I'd be so afraid of them falling though :gah:

DiD are usually pretty solid figures with plenty of accessories and they tend to do quite well on accuracy with clothes etc.

Off the top of my head, I've got MLK, Chicago Gangster 2, Agent Jack, General Frank, Chicago John, Winston Churchill and French Pierre. All are great. Especially considering their prices.

Picking one - French Pierre - is probably the weakest of the bunch, however, it's still a solid attempt at Aldo Raine (not as good as HT), but he came with loads of accessories and a bicycle. I got it sub $150.

So, this figure is gonna be pretty darn good IMO.

Excellent, thanks for the info :)

Don't want to use the trademarked movie title Fury.
Use the trademarked TV title of a railroad Western instead. :)

i don't collect soldiers, but even i see that those setups are so great!

Thanks man, I started out collecting 1/6 military, then sold them all, got heavily into Hot Toys & debt, now I'm back into 1/6 military. I guess you could say my hobby has come full circle. :dunno

Never own DID stuff... ARe their products good?

Some of their older figs are a bit hit and miss & I always found the skin tone they used was too dark a few years back, I still think their bodies could do with improving, after handling TT bodies Dragon bodies feel a bit cheap, although most of the newer figs have very decent bodies. Something I love about Dragon figs especially their more expensive line of figs (Dragon in Dreams), is the attention to detail in the clothing, patches, insignia, medals and accessories. Wood & metal parts on most of the accessories instead of plastic.

I'm a little turned off on the dirty version with the sculpt being bloody in the scar areas. I don't think his scars opened up in the movie.

Did anyone get the clean version? I just got my invoice for the weathered version...looking forward to his arrival

Did anyone get the clean version? I just got my invoice for the weathered version...looking forward to his arrival

I got my first one of these figures this week and ordered two more for parts. I think you'll be happy with the figure although I can't speak much on the special extra dirty version. The regular version actually has weathering on the gloves and boots, just not quite as much as the special. Headsculpt is very nicely representative of "Wardaddy" although I think maybe the Max Toys was actually even a little better. This one though is good and the paint nicely and neatly executed. The helmet is amazing in detail and design. For them to make this particular part so well scaled using several different materials and nearly 70 parts is incredible. One of the single nicest things I've seen including customs. This is really the highlight of the set as far as quality and execution go. The uniform is fine. The trousers are a nice olive and look pretty good. The Shirt is a deeper brighter green and works fine in context of the film but isn't a very good color for an actual GI. The M1942 mounted cavalry boots are excellent, although I would prefer they left them unweathered like the Patton version. Dulling them down is no big deal. Cleaning and shining them up may be a little more problematic. I'll find out. The early version of the armored forces winter jacket is nicely shaped, a good color, and has a wire in the collar to aid in posing which is great. Jacket is unlined which I think is the way to go for it to have a proper appearance on the figure. The negative is the torso is a little long, and it's fairly obvious on a DiD body since the proportions on those accentuate this issue with there very long legs and shorter body. Weapons are pretty cool, Sturmgewer is metal with a wood stock and has the features most of us expect from DiD. The S&W revolver is ridiculous. Metal, swing out cylinder and moving hammer and the cylinder is drilled for cartridges to be inserted, and it come with six turned brass shells. Amazing. Private purchase shoulder holder is okay, but just okay. A little more effort could have been put into the type of leather used to give it a little better scale appearance. Also includes a hand held microphone in cast metal which is also nicely finished and fairly unique in 1/6th. Overall a good representation of the figure subject and a decent although not very heavily contented set for military collectors looking for parts to use in other projects. I bought three of these just to get two extra helmets. That's how good this piece is. Hope this gives you an idea of what to expect when Don arrives.

Wow! Awesome write up! Thank you chamildav, it sounds like I'm going to pretty darn pleased. I'm not a military collector just a fan of brad Pitt and his films so I'm hoping the head sculpt and paint looks as good as the proto. If you can post some pictures of yours that'd be great, love seeing people's pictures. Thanks again for the review

Got the weathered version yesterday and he is great! Love the head sculpt, the boots, the helmet is insane! Awesome figure, thanks to everyone who recommended DiD figures to me

image.jpg

Back