Did anyone attend the Art Institute?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so what are you guys hoping to do career wise with these design degrees? i would be curious to see some portfolios of some more work :monkey3

Me Personally? Kinda undecided what direction I wanna go with the media. There's so many avenues I could go down. Right now web design seems to be the most promising since it seems to be the most in demand... I haven't had too much to add to my portfolio sinc I'm brand new to it, but i'm thinking I'll have a rather convincing one when I graduate :cool:

My brother was a recruiter for the AI in Dallas (recently fired due to the economy) It's got a varied list of classes, but you don't spend enough time one what you need to know. Web design is a good thing to learn, it pays well. Graphic Design is a very bad choice right now, way too many people for that. Animation is kind of different. If you haven't done this stuff before you will be very behind, and if you want to get anywhere you're going to have to put a lot of time on your own, you won't learn nearly enough just from what they teach you.

I'm currently finishing a computer science degree in Animation from a different college and most students don't put in enough time and will have a really hard time getting a job when they graduate.

My brother was a recruiter for the AI in Dallas (recently fired due to the economy) It's got a varied list of classes, but you don't spend enough time one what you need to know. Web design is a good thing to learn, it pays well. Graphic Design is a very bad choice right now, way too many people for that. Animation is kind of different. If you haven't done this stuff before you will be very behind, and if you want to get anywhere you're going to have to put a lot of time on your own, you won't learn nearly enough just from what they teach you.

I'm currently finishing a computer science degree in Animation from a different college and most students don't put in enough time and will have a really hard time getting a job when they graduate.

Yeah AI says it does 5 week blocks so I have a hard time seeing that getting to indepth.

so what are you guys hoping to do career wise with these design degrees? i would be curious to see some portfolios of some more work :monkey3
I am currently a Web Application Developer for the State of Pa so I already have my career. I am looking to broaden it though and get more experience with animation for the web and film.

how much do these online classes cost? just curious. i do not have a degree, but web design seems interesting to me.

It depends, they call them demo reels and most are on youtube haha. A couple friends of mine went to AI here in So-cal. 2 are having trouble with jobs, 2 others work for the new Splatterhouse game and the last was recruited before he finished school by blizzard. All they had to say was non stop 4 hour classes were brutal but in the end they still finished.

Downside is a lot of work is now going to India and Canada so you really gotta be on the ball. Check out the guys on https://www.conceptart.org very cool guys and very helpful.

Bottom line, if what you do...you enjoy, its not work.
Good luck man

how much do these online classes cost? just curious. i do not have a degree, but web design seems interesting to me.

At AAU, for 15 weeks, I pay about $2,500 for 3 credits (1 class). Being as I usually take two classes, add in books/materials/software... you're talking about $6k for two classes.

At AAU, for 15 weeks, I pay about $2,500 for 3 credits (1 class). Being as I usually take two classes, add in books/materials/software... you're talking about $6k for two classes.

I forgot how expensive school is. hence why i joined the army. i am prob. gonna continue without a degree for a while, but i am sure i can get some $$ from uncle sam

I forgot how expensive school is. hence why i joined the army. i am prob. gonna continue without a degree for a while, but i am sure i can get some $$ from uncle sam

Some of the software is over 500 bucks, the school (at least the one here did) had an offsite server people kept software torrents on. Maya, Photoshop and 3Dmax, school is nuts on the wallet. Move over collecting.

I have a wedding to pay for as well as a renovation on the two floor apt. i am moving into. sooooooo school is def. on hold. Collecting is the least of my worries at the moment. That's why i was so pumped when i won the sideshow darth vader jumbo vcd. it was like i spent money so now i dont need to buy anything for a few.

Downside is a lot of work is now going to India and Canada so you really gotta be on the ball. Check out the guys on https://www.conceptart.org very cool guys and very helpful.

Dude, I just checked out some of the work on that site.... Ho. Ly. CRAP!!!!! That is some INSANELY great stuff. Wow. I wish I could draw like that..... :monkey2

But it always seemed that pursuing a career in illustration just seems VERY difficult.....

Yup. That's about right...... I'm spending about $17k/semester doing the full time ON CAMPUS schooling. The cost of living in San Fran is just crazy :eek:

Well just to give you a little update on my "New Media" degree at AAU, I've dropped two classes because I don't feel confident in the curriculum at AAU. It just basically seems like a "trial by fire" kinda thing..... Got thrown into a Digital Design class (Adobe Indesign) and the first assignment was to create a magazine ad for Haagen Dazs ice cream..... The teacher ZIPPED through Indesign for LITERALLY 10 minutes, and informed us that we should KNOW all font types and layout grids/techniques.... Riiiiiiight.

I'm sorry, I'm not paying $2300 PER class and the OUTRAGEOUS cost of living in SF just to feel pressured and just SLAP something together to turn in..... I wanna feel confident in what I'm doing, and I'm not really gettin that here.....

Does anyone else go to another school that they feel this way?

Back