Did anyone attend the Art Institute?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimera 1

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am thinking about attending the Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online and wanted to know if anyone else ever attended here? I was thinking either Web Design and Interactive Media or Media Arts and Animation.

My wife's great uncle founded the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.

True story.

I actually attend the Academy of Art University in San Francisco and I'm Studying web design & new media. The art institute was on my list of potential schools, but I wasn't too impressed with their curriculum and student work. I was also signed up to attend the International academy of design and technology to study graphic design, but it was the same thing. Student work wasn't too impressive and it just seemed kinda eh. It's tough to attend or find a good school that teaches these things, as they all seem like a money making machine..... Good luck in your search :)

I am thinking about attending the Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online and wanted to know if anyone else ever attended here? I was thinking either Web Design and Interactive Media or Media Arts and Animation.

Never attended Ai, but a lot of my friends have, and enjoyed it. Decent program.

I myself attend Academy of Art University (online), which is based in San Francisco and is fantastic. Major in Web Design and New Media... which is basically what you're looking for (above).

https://www.academyart.edu/

I actually attend the Academy of Art University in San Francisco and I'm Studying web design & new media. The art institute was on my list of potential schools, but I wasn't too impressed with their curriculum and student work. I was also signed up to attend the International academy of design and technology to study graphic design, but it was the same thing. Student work wasn't too impressive and it just seemed kinda eh. It's tough to attend or find a good school that teaches these things, as they all seem like a money making machine..... Good luck in your search :)

holy crap dude. :lol

Never attended Ai, but a lot of my friends have, and enjoyed it. Decent program.

I myself attend Academy of Art University (online), which is based in San Francisco and is fantastic. Major in Web Design and New Media... which is basically what you're looking for (above).

https://www.academyart.edu/

I just looked at their website and I have to say i am impressed. Can you give me a break down of how the classes work online?

I just looked at their website and I have to say i am impressed. Can you give me a break down of how the classes work online?

I'm not familiar with the online classes. Bagelsandcheesy could help you out there :) Personally, I can't do online. I really need that human interaction and hands on engagement. But to each their own :cool:

I will say that the quality of teaching seems pretty awesome on campus. City life is hectic, but the schooling has been very gratifying for me

Here's what I did in my very first semester...... This was done in Adobe illustrator using all vector graphics. Favorite class so far :D

Final_project_watch.jpg

Great use of gradients to mimic metallics my friend :rock

I have my watch design somewhere at home, I gotta dig it up. :D

Thanks maing! :D

Yeah, I used some Chanel watch as a model. I didn't wanna do the brushed aluminum that everyone else did, so I went with this shiny/glossy look. Came out cool I think. Lets see yours!!!! :cool:

Thanks maing! :D

Yeah, I used some Chanel watch as a model. I didn't wanna do the brushed aluminum that everyone else did, so I went with this shiny/glossy look. Came out cool I think. Lets see yours!!!! :cool:

Looks awesome :rock

Mine is on an external HD that I have yet to unpack since moving into mi new casa. When I dig it up, i'll post it! :duff

definitely study the schools you're interested in and their professors and students' work.

Ive found over the years to be very wary of Universities especially and their "Art/Design" programs.

I just had an intern working who was going in to her senior year at a local university and didn't know much of the real world design knowledge she's going to need.

I did the Art Institute of Ft.Lauderdale....what is it that u really want to do?

I wanted to know how the curriculum was and if you truly learned anything "Online", I am sure the physical campus is good but I need an online university. The schools around me don't really teach animation, cgi, etc. I went to the local community college for awhile and learned web design but they didn't even touch on flash or any web animation/imaging. I needed to get into graphic design for that but the classes were held during the day (problem for me being employed fulltime), so I tried University of Phoenix online for their web design classes... that was a mistake I quickly regretted. Even PennState doesn't have the classes (I live to far from the main campus so I would have to go to one of the satellite campus'). This brings me to where I am today. I want to learn to use photoshop, illistrator, flash, Maya, 3ds max... etc. So I looked into the Art institute of Pgh Online and they looked promising but like others said, their student work didn't grab me. I wish i could attend an instructor led course but that doesn't seem feasible.

I wanted to know how the curriculum was and if you truly learned anything "Online", I am sure the physical campus is good but I need an online university. The schools around me don't really teach animation, cgi, etc. I went to the local community college for awhile and learned web design but they didn't even touch on flash or any web animation/imaging. I needed to get into graphic design for that but the classes were held during the day (problem for me being employed fulltime), so I tried University of Phoenix online for their web design classes... that was a mistake I quickly regretted. Even PennState doesn't have the classes (I live to far from the main campus so I would have to go to one of the satellite campus'). This brings me to where I am today. I want to learn to use photoshop, illistrator, flash, Maya, 3ds max... etc. So I looked into the Art institute of Pgh Online and they looked promising but like others said, their student work didn't grab me. I wish i could attend an instructor led course but that doesn't seem feasible.

I'll put it to you this way... I've used design programs (be it Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, etc) and web programming (as you and I have talked about) for a long time now, and I learn new techniques, processes, and approaches every module of every class, every semester. I've had nothing but a great experience taking online classes for AAU. Even my printmaking class was fantastic. I had to order the mediums, chemicals, handmade paper, even screen printing devices just to take the class. They actually have you do everything hands on, just as if you were at the school (minus large industrial machinery that i'm sure students use at the school). But you get my point. They don't hand you a degree when online at AAU... you really have to earn it just as if you were at the campus itself. Shoot me a tweet, i'll answer any more q's ya have there.

:duff

I also left out the part about your concern, about class time... basically, online at AAU, you have a week to complete each "module". There are 15 in all (15 weeks of school, each week having it's own module), projects are turned in every monday, with 1 quiz per week. Midterm projects usually consist of a build up of 2 to 3 modules, and final projects usually are built up from the last 4 modules. So you can work on your own time, whenever you'd like. As long as you turn in your project by the due date/time, and take your quiz, you're good to go.

I'll put it to you this way... I've used design programs (be it Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, etc) and web programming (as you and I have talked about) for a long time now, and I learn new techniques, processes, and approaches every module of every class, every semester. I've had nothing but a great experience taking online classes for AAU. Even my printmaking class was fantastic. I had to order the mediums, chemicals, handmade paper, even screen printing devices just to take the class. They actually have you do everything hands on, just as if you were at the school (minus large industrial machinery that i'm sure students use at the school). But you get my point. They don't hand you a degree when online at AAU... you really have to earn it just as if you were at the campus itself. Shoot me a tweet, i'll answer any more q's ya have there.

:duff

I also left out the part about your concern, about class time... basically, online at AAU, you have a week to complete each "module". There are 15 in all (15 weeks of school, each week having it's own module), projects are turned in every monday, with 1 quiz per week. Midterm projects usually consist of a build up of 2 to 3 modules, and final projects usually are built up from the last 4 modules. So you can work on your own time, whenever you'd like. As long as you turn in your project by the due date/time, and take your quiz, you're good to go.

Hmmmm. This is kinda good to hear. I'm considering just taking online classes, because the cost of living out here in SF is just outrageous. The only thing that scares me is the whole COMPLETELY ONLINE thing..... I just don't think a person with ADHD will do well sitting in front of a computer for hours on end. But I dunno... I'm really curious to see if I can just "test run" a class or "module" and see if it grabs me at all. It'll save me a TON if I can just move back home :eek:

Back