Dexter Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the whole, this finale was good, but Rita's death was sloppy. It was something that needed to be done for the bigger arc of the show, but having Trinity kill her doesn't make much sense plot wise. He's a violent guy sure, but murdering Rita doesn't fit his code, it's something he did just to piss off Dexter. It just doesn't fit his MO. I get that they've set it up to mirror Dexter's upbringing but it should've been a home invasion or something.

I still think it's all a dream/nightmare. Here's why:

Dexter finds the receipt for Trinity's car and figures that's where he'll find him. We see Trinity picking up his car, driving around and then driving away.

Next we Trinity driving down some deserted road and he has car trouble (engine!?). Trinity stops, pops the hood to take a look and BAM Dexter is there to attack Trinity.

Ok.. where the hell did Dexter come from!? If he was in the trunk of the car exactly how did he get in when the car was parked outside of a shop with numerous people around?

Not to mention if Dexter was in the trunk that would mean he would've had to wait for Trinity to stop somewhere remote so he could pop out undetected, subdue & drug Trinity, find a spot to set up his kill room + store an unconscious Trinity, use Trinity's car to drive however many miles BACK to his car (which is risky in and of itself because it's a Stolen Car) to get all his tools and materials THEN drive all the way back, set up an elaborate room (That kill room was by far the most elaborate one Dexter has ever set up. A working train set AND a working record player with the same record Trinity played when he killed all the kids!?) kill Trinity, clean up, drive his car and everything else to the dock, get in his boat and discard the body THEN dump Trinity's car somewhere. All in a matter of hours. Kind of a stretch.

If Dexter was following him in his own car that would also be a stretch because there was no other cars around so it would be obvious to Trinity if one car were continually following him. Also, when you see Trinity drive off (last daytime shot) there's no sign of Dexter trailing behind in his car.

Just doesn't add up to me. I think the last daytime shot of Trinity leaving in his car is the final "real" moment of the episode. I think everything with Dexter killing Trinity and then finding out Trinity killed Rita is a hallucination/dream/nightmare Dexter has on the plane en route to meeting Rita. Fueled by Dexter not being able to finish off Trinity and knowing he's still out there (possibly putting his family in danger). Just my theory.

Like I said though.. if anyone has read something definitive let me know and please link it.

I still think it's all a dream/nightmare. Here's why:

Dexter finds the receipt for Trinity's car and figures that's where he'll find him. We see Trinity picking up his car, driving around and then driving away.

Next we Trinity driving down some deserted road and he has car trouble (engine!?). Trinity stops, pops the hood to take a look and BAM Dexter is there to attack Trinity.

Ok.. where the hell did Dexter come from!? If he was in the trunk of the car exactly how did he get in when the car was parked outside of a shop with numerous people around?

Not to mention if Dexter was in the trunk that would mean he would've had to wait for Trinity to stop somewhere remote so he could pop out undetected, subdue & drug Trinity, find a spot to set up his kill room + store an unconscious Trinity, use Trinity's car to drive however many miles BACK to his car (which is risky in and of itself because it's a Stolen Car) to get all his tools and materials THEN drive all the way back, set up an elaborate room (That kill room was by far the most elaborate one Dexter has ever set up. A working train set AND a working record player with the same record Trinity played when he killed all the kids!?) kill Trinity, clean up, drive his car and everything else to the dock, get in his boat and discard the body THEN dump Trinity's car somewhere. All in a matter of hours. Kind of a stretch.

If Dexter was following him in his own car that would also be a stretch because there was no other cars around so it would be obvious to Trinity if one car were continually following him. Also, when you see Trinity drive off (last daytime shot) there's no sign of Dexter trailing behind in his car.

Just doesn't add up to me. I think the last daytime shot of Trinity leaving in his car is the final "real" moment of the episode. I think everything with Dexter killing Trinity and then finding out Trinity killed Rita is a hallucination/dream/nightmare Dexter has on the plane en route to meeting Rita. Fueled by Dexter not being able to finish off Trinity and knowing he's still out there (possibly putting his family in danger). Just my theory.

Like I said though.. if anyone has read something definitive let me know and please link it.

Yeah, I felt like it didn't add up. Usually this show is incredibly smooth with everything...and that just seems kinda...well screwey. Did the lighting/shooting seem sort of weird also? Maybe I'm exhausted but the whole style of the end of the episode seemed alittle harry hallucination to me.

I hope you are right Devil and I also think that whole theory makes a lot of sense. I just don't think that Dexter can swing being a single father of 3 and do everything he does, because you know he won't abandon them. I think we may see the trinity killer again in the next season.

On a side note though if Rita is gone do you think she will appear like Harry does for Dexter? I'm not sure what advice she would offer but you never know.

On a side note though if Rita is gone do you think she will appear like Harry does for Dexter? I'm not sure what advice she would offer but you never know.

Well technically Harry doesn't offer advice either though. That's just a manifestation of Dexters inner thoughts. So really it could be anyone Dexter wanted.

I hope she isn't really dead i love Rita :(

This is now my fave season though i've loved every second of it!

There's no way its a dream. That's cheap and Dexter is above that as a show. Mark my words the while neighbor subplot will give Dexter a motive for a fake suicide next season (the last thing he wants is to be connected to Trinity) and Masuka will corroborate the whole thing as he saw her kissing the neighbor.

I say Dexter will be suspected for Rita's murder next season, at least by Quinn. The marriage counseling, the kiss with the neighbor, the suspicious disappearances and reappearances of Dexter. Maybe Quinn will suspect Dexter of using the TK's MO as an easy way to get away with murdering his wife. Somebody possibly saw Trinity in the Police Station, Dexter being in the news for his wife's death and Trinity's family noticing Kyle Butler isn't Kyle Butler. The Dexter/Quinn angle will get heated, even more so as Debra & Quinn will be getting closer. I think Dexter will struggle with abandoning his Dark Passenger over guilt of what happened to Rita. Something or somebody will convince Dexter that he has to kill again. Possible visions of Harry nagging at Dexter to teach Harrison the code could happen as well...

alot to consider, especially if Season 5 is the final season.

My jaw literally dropped in the final moments/scene of the season finale. I was shocked. I did not see Rita's death at all. I wonder if Julie Benz will still be part of the cast for the next season where her spirit will communicate with Dexter in the same manner as Harry?

In the chat with the executive producer last week, he addressed a theory that it was all a dream and he said that's the stupidest idea he's ever heard.

Though I think it's odd that Dexter captured Trinity on the same road that he crashed on in the beginning of the season. Or at least it looks like the same road.

In the chat with the executive producer last week, he addressed a theory that it was all a dream and he said that's the stupidest idea he's ever heard.

Though I think it's odd that Dexter captured Trinity on the same road that he crashed on in the beginning of the season. Or at least it looks like the same road.

Yep it looked like the same road to me as well.

I guess I don't want it to be real. :-(
I'm bummen for Dexter...seems surreal or something.

They never carryover main plot-lines from season to season. I think what we saw is what we get.

What an ending..........or is it just the start for a new, darker, brutal killer? Idk and frankly right now, I don't care..........Just speechless.

Can't possibly imagine how things could end up. Everything is 'in the air', so to speak.

And that's just how good of a show this is....

They never carryover main plot-lines from season to season. I think what we saw is what we get.

Yeah I realized that on the second viewing later. :monkey2:monkey2 Crappy ending, but Dexter has been known to punch us in the face and make us wait for the next season to see how everything gets pieced back together.

So, what do you guys think will happen in Season 5? Will Dexter blame himself for Rita's death and try to resist going back to his dark side or will it drive him to be even more dark?

Back