Detective Pikachu

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But then it'd just be the same **** we've been watching for twenty years except with real people. At least this'll be even a little bit fresh.

What? U can say the same thing about every superhero movie adaption that came out. It wouldn’t be exactly the same I’m sure some things would be different

Why the hell couldn't they just get Danny DeVito for the voice of Pikachu like everyone wanted??

You think the reason people are starting to experience superhero fatigue is because the movies are relatively faithful to the comics?

Didn't say that. The issue isn't faithfulness to the comics, it's that, excepting a couple of standouts, Marvel have basically made the same film in a row for ten years now with a new skin. The novelty wears off after a while when you realise you've consumed this exact product already. Marvel's most successful films are when they stick their generic superhero story into a different genre altogether - Winter Soldier, Guardians, Ragnarok.

In the case of THIS film, it just seems to me that telling a story that's been/is still being told for like two consecutive decades is probably a lot less interesting and safe than exploring a new narrative framework. Like yeah, sure, a live action movie about Ash/Red/new Pokemon trainer setting off on their journey blah blah might've been cool, but a neo-noir "buddy" cop adventure? I'll take it.

You do realize that this particular movie isn’t anything new right? It’s been done before except with Pokémon .

Boy finds animal who talks and they solve a mystery. It’s like scooby freaking doo

I’d rather have a movie about ash catching Pokémon and fighting different gyms. That hasn’t been done in a movie.

Also marvel has not been making the same damn film in a row. Say what you will about the comedic tone but each film is different. Ant man is nothing like infinity war and iron man is nothing like avengers

If anything this movie is the safe route. It’s very basic. It’s the Pokémon that draw you in.

You do realize that this particular movie isn’t anything new right? It’s been done before except with Pokémon .

Yes, of course. I never suggested otherwise. What I'm saying is that I think by juxtaposing the quirks of Pokemon with this model makes for an interesting conceit. Much like how movies like, say, Winter Soldier, GotG or Thor: Ragnarok have been done before, but when used as the framework for a narrative involving established and beloved characters results in a really interesting product.

I’d rather have a movie about ash catching Pokémon and fighting different gyms. That hasn’t been done in a movie.

That's been done in a ton of movies. And almost every single Pokemon game ever. And a bunch of television series. That kind of story is MUCH better suited to long-form media, not a single movie.

Also marvel has not been making the same damn film in a row.

"A billionaire must rely on his engineering ingenuity to perfect a technologically advanced suit of armour in order to survive an enemy who was secretly hired by a business rival."

Quick, which Marvel film did I just describe?

Yes, of course. I never suggested otherwise. What I'm saying is that I think by juxtaposing the quirks of Pokemon with this model makes for an interesting conceit. Much like how movies like, say, Winter Soldier, GotG or Thor: Ragnarok have been done before, but when used as the framework for a narrative involving established and beloved characters results in a really interesting product.

That's been done in a ton of movies. And almost every single Pokemon game ever. And a bunch of television series. That kind of story is MUCH better suited to long-form media, not a single movie.

"A billionaire must rely on his engineering ingenuity to perfect a technologically advanced suit of armour in order to survive an enemy who was secretly hired by a business rival."

Quick, which Marvel film did I just describe?

Doesn’t sound like gotg, captain America or infinity war so again they aren’t the same .
You literally just described iron man. Sounds like you don’t watch the movies and just on the hate train buddy. Not a good look
And yea like I said we haven’t seen a live action Pokémon movie if your a fan maybe it’s not as original but seeing it live on the big screen would def be new. How is another movie about a talking animal with a Pokémon coat of paint original?

Doesn’t sound like gotg, captain America or infinity war so again they aren’t the same .
You literally just described iron man. Sounds like you don’t watch the movies and just on the hate train buddy. Not a good look
And yea like I said we haven’t seen a live action Pokémon movie if your a fan maybe it’s not as original but seeing it live on the big screen would def be new. How is another movie about a talking animal with a Pokémon coat of paint original?

Yeah I described Iron Man. And Iron Man 2. And Iron Man 3. Who's on the hate train? I see every Marvel film day one, if I can. I love most of them, in spite of their flaws.

I'm not saying Detective Pikachu looks like it'll be particularly original. Just interesting. Calm down pal.

Yeah I described Iron Man. And Iron Man 2. And Iron Man 3. Who's on the hate train? I see every Marvel film day one, if I can. I love most of them, in spite of their flaws.

I'm not saying Detective Pikachu looks like it'll be particularly original. Just interesting. Calm down pal.

Lol I am calm. You described 3 iron man movies and ant man so that’s hardly all the marvel movies . Like you said.

No you said it was more original than a traditional Pokémon movie...... pal

Lol I am calm. You described 3 iron man movies and ant man so that’s hardly all the marvel movies . Like you said.

No you said it was more original than a traditional Pokémon movie...... pal

Dude, every Marvel movie follows the same formula. They have different tones, sure, but they are the same colour-by-numbers product. Don't get so worked up and defensive about it, I'm not bashing Marvel here. It's a formula that works and I'll consume it every time. But it does get noticeably repetitive, so yeah, I can also enjoy films that break that mould, even if it's just superficially.

The only time I used the word original was when I said Detective Pikachu would not be that. I said that it would feel fresher than the premise of almost every single Pokemon game/movie/tv series we've had so far.

Dude, every Marvel movie follows the same formula. They have different tones, sure, but they are the same colour-by-numbers product. Don't get so worked up and defensive about it, I'm not bashing Marvel here. It's a formula that works and I'll consume it every time. But it does get noticeably repetitive, so yeah, I can also enjoy films that break that mould, even if it's just superficially.

The only time I used the word original was when I said Detective Pikachu would not be that. I said that it would feel fresher than the premise of almost every single Pokemon game/movie/tv series we've had so far.

I’m not getting defensive. You just said something completely out of left field and gave a horrid example. But I do agree they follow the same formula and aren’t way to groundbreaking like some say. Ragnorak was far from a good movie that many claimed and avengers 1 was transformers but with superheroes. I always felt the mcu was broken anyway. If all u had was avengers and the gotg then it’s hardly marvel. But hey that’s me. I’d jump ship if it wasn’t for the inclusion of xmen and ff soon

New Detective Pikachu Promo card sets
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/01/heres_your_first_look_at_the_special_detective_pikachu_pokemon_card_set

detective-pikachu-cards.original.jpg

pik3.original.jpg

pik4.original.jpg

pik2.original.jpg

Back