Demo: Painting Sixth Scale Heads with Darren Carnell

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love seeing this video Darren! I remember 4 years ago you helped me get started with painting and sculpting and everytime I see your work it's an inspiration to keep going to learn knew things.

Keep up the great work man!

The music was just downloaded from the YouTube Audio Archive.. I just picked stuff that wasn't too annoying or crappy sounding ;)

I use grey primer, although I've used white in the past. Ultimately they get painted over anyway.
Hello Darren

Yes i see what you mean i love your videos , what soundtrack was on it?
I also understand what you mean about painting by eye , my problem is i have come from gamesworkshop style miniatures to
1/6 scale.
My main problem is mixing the main flesh tone and getting sort of a base colour to start off with then dry brush and add washes.
Is there any particular method you use to start off a normal type white flesh tone and is it better to use grey or white primer?

Again thanks so much for the video it is great

The brushes were bought from my local art shop. They have thousands of different types.. I just go in the and rummage around until I find some that I think will do me. A larger flatter one for doing large areas like initial skin tones.. smaller ones for the same... soft round ones for dry brushing.. and really small ones for details like eyes or eyebrows. Any combination of them can be used in any number of different ways though, it just depends on what I need at any one time.

Thank you Darren, it's amazing to see you work! If you have time I would love to know more about the brushes you use and where you got them.

Jeff

hahaha classic!

Yeah it's called Flow Enhancer here... but its probably what you're talking about. Basically acts like water and thins the paint down, but keeps it smooth and flowing like paint. I use both it and water depending on how I want the paint to be. (you'll see me dipping into both during the course of the paint job)

Im such an idiot i was watching it from part 2 :slap
And was missing the first out for some reason , just one question what is the stuff in the artist bottle ?
Is it paint extender?

Thanks! and it was my pleasure :)

Huge thanks to everyone else too!! *bows*

Love seeing this video Darren! I remember 4 years ago you helped me get started with painting and sculpting and everytime I see your work it's an inspiration to keep going to learn knew things.

Keep up the great work man!

Awesome tutorial, this is so good for the community. And you sir are brilliant... :clap
Might have to buy an unpainted sculpt ASAP.. hehe :panic:

Thank you so much for this tutorial. As someone just getting into kitbashing and wanting to know more about sculpting/painting, you've clearly covered the whole process. If you could kindly also let me know if you take commissions and your price per 1/6 scale head. Thanks.

Back