Demo: Painting Sixth Scale Heads with Darren Carnell

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Super Freak
Reaction score
Darren Carnall posted this to YouTube today. He's planning to do several videos showing the process from start to finish. Fun video, with a great soundtrack. I, for one, plan to study this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Demo: Painting Sixth Scale Heads

I've not heard that name in a long time, it was Darren's Aragorn and Legolas that brought me to this site back in 2008, nice to see he's still around.

Great vids , but and explanation on the materials he uses and how he mixes them would be even
More helpfull as it just leaves you to guess how they are painted really

Great video. The hardest and scariest part I always find are the eyes. Would have liked to have seen how it tackled those.

Yes it is a great video , but i feel that the hardest thing of all is to get the flesh tone spot on.
As you see in his video the both heads are different tones which is perfect , most heads you see are almost the same to match the hot toys body.
I would like to see the main colours for the beginging flesh colour and then what is added to make the, different also what is the clear stuff in the artist bottle?
I doubt this will happen as it his sharing his secret and it is already great of such a talented artist to make such a great video.

Thanks guys! the reason there's no voice over or anything is simply I don't have time! I barely had time to record this as I was working to a tight deadline... but I knew people would love to see it. Also... a voice over would get boring VERY quickly.. "so, I'm still painting this part..." - seriously... I take a week to paint each head. It's a 90 minute video in all... there's a lot of "here I am, carrying on..." type stuff if I voice over it lol.

Also I didn't think anything would need explaining... you literally see me choosing the colours, mixing them, when I use thinned down paint or wiped off dry brush.. and painting. There's not much else I could add to that. As for the names of the colours... there's no point. I just use whatever colours I can get and I custom mix them each and every time. I could paint the same head twice and I'd probably go about it differently each time lol

I might have a rough order that I do things in.. but there's no 'system'. I couldn't tell you 'do this, then that.. and you have a perfectly painted head!' ...I paint everything by eye. Simply looking to see if something needs to be darker.. or lighter... or a different shade of colour... There's lots of back and forth that you don't see on these vids.

I really wish I could tell you a foolproof 1 to 10 of how to paint a perfect head.. but I paint mine like the oil painting portraits I used to do. By eye. And it doesn't matter what colours I buy (seriously, I work with whatever brand I can get and whatever colours I can get.. and simply mix my own on the fly)

Thank you SO much for the nice comments though... seriously means the WORLD to me ^_^

Darren

Thanks guys! the reason there's no voice over or anything is simply I don't have time! I barely had time to record this as I was working to a tight deadline... but I knew people would love to see it. Also... a voice over would get boring VERY quickly.. "so, I'm still painting this part..." - seriously... I take a week to paint each head. It's a 90 minute video in all... there's a lot of "here I am, carrying on..." type stuff if I voice over it lol.

Also I didn't think anything would need explaining... you literally see me choosing the colours, mixing them, when I use thinned down paint or wiped off dry brush.. and painting. There's not much else I could add to that. As for the names of the colours... there's no point. I just use whatever colours I can get and I custom mix them each and every time. I could paint the same head twice and I'd probably go about it differently each time lol

I might have a rough order that I do things in.. but there's no 'system'. I couldn't tell you 'do this, then that.. and you have a perfectly painted head!' ...I paint everything by eye. Simply looking to see if something needs to be darker.. or lighter... or a different shade of colour... There's lots of back and forth that you don't see on these vids.

I really wish I could tell you a foolproof 1 to 10 of how to paint a perfect head.. but I paint mine like the oil painting portraits I used to do. By eye. And it doesn't matter what colours I buy (seriously, I work with whatever brand I can get and whatever colours I can get.. and simply mix my own on the fly)

Thank you SO much for the nice comments though... seriously means the WORLD to me ^_^

Darren

Hello Darren

Yes i see what you mean i love your videos , what soundtrack was on it?
I also understand what you mean about painting by eye , my problem is i have come from gamesworkshop style miniatures to
1/6 scale.
My main problem is mixing the main flesh tone and getting sort of a base colour to start off with then dry brush and add washes.
Is there any particular method you use to start off a normal type white flesh tone and is it better to use grey or white primer?

Again thanks so much for the video it is great

Thank you Darren, it's amazing to see you work! If you have time I would love to know more about the brushes you use and where you got them.

Jeff

Last edited:
Im such an idiot i was watching it from part 2 :slap
And was missing the first out for some reason , just one question what is the stuff in the artist bottle ?
Is it paint extender?

Darren

Awesome work. But I'm going to spam your mail box with questions. :lol

Back