DEADPOOL MOVIE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deadpool is doing almost exactly Spider-Man 3 numbers (unadjusted for inflaction obviously.) SM3 was at 282 million after three weeks and DP is at 285. SM3 ended with 336 million total, ranked #8 all time among superhero films. Spider-Man 2 is #7 with 373 million. DP won't hit that so it will take over the #8 spot until Civil War, Infinity War 1 and 2 and Justice League 1 and 2 knock it down to 13th or 14th.

So Deadpool's time in the Top 10 of superhero films will be quite short-lived.

And then Deadpool 2 will blow those out of the water, it's an endless cycle :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadpool is doing almost exactly Spider-Man 3 numbers (unadjusted for inflaction obviously.) SM3 was at 282 million after three weeks and DP is at 285. SM3 ended with 336 million total, ranked #8 all time among superhero films. Spider-Man 2 is #7 with 373 million. DP won't hit that so it will take over the #8 spot until Civil War, Infinity War 1 and 2 and Justice League 1 and 2 knock it down to 13th or 14th.

For me, the most impressive part of watching Deadpool make so much money is how cheap it was to make. The fact that it's already made 10x its budget is impressive as hell.

To be fair, DP's not in the same boat as the Guardians. The Movie team had only one vol in 2008, and after Thanos Imperative and the death of Quill and Rider, the book ended. DP on the other hand had tons of solos, guest appearances, spin-offs, toys and was a pop-culture/internet icon well before GotG was even announced. Sure, the Guardians have exploded now, but they were never the same.

Still, DP's movie is like an indie arthouse film compared to GotG budget wise, so yeah, it will be crazy if this makes more money than an MCU summer blockbuster. Well, like I say, it's the execution that matters...

Guardians was first in the seventies. Yondu for example wasn't in the 2008 run but was an original.

Difference is all of those will make bank no matter what. Deadpool didn't have that luxury, it wasn't guaranteed to make tons or expected to be a huge hit, or even a hit

Last edited:
Guardians was first in the seventies. Yondu for example wasn't in the 2008 run but was an original.

Sure, I know that. I even read the OG series a while back and I was pulling GOTG3K. But they were never a big name. They were a C-Lister team with a couple of short-lived vols, featuring characters that were never heard from again. Hell, how many people here remember Hollywood? Still, the Movie team had just one vol in 2008, the DnA one. Plus, the characters themselves were so unknown, that most people don't know their original histories. Groot went from a Space/Cosmic Doom-like Monarch with regular speech, to a loveable tree in a matter of a few issues. Quill, IIRC, was somewhat of a villain in his first few appearances. Rocket Raccoon's origin is like something out of Sonic (yeah I know Rocket came first). Drax and Gamora were undeniably the most well-known members of the team. And until it was announced, the majority didn't know about them, at all. The average reader knew about the DnA vol, but that was it. I doubt anyone beyond the hardcores or the old horses knew about Martinex and Vance Astro (plus his weird, timey-wimey history).

Meanwhile Deadpool had starred in his own solos for years, was a supporting character in Agent X, a co-star in C&DP and after Way's run had spin-off, after spin-off after tie-in after tie-in. Not to mention that he became an internet sensation and remained like that. Even now, he's hitting around 50-80k numbers IIRC. The 5th issue of Deadpool placed 15th, whereas the 3rd issue of GotG placed 37th. There's obviously a gap between the popularity of the two franchises.

it was interesting to find out the reason it took this movie so long to make was because of Tom Rothman.

Tom Rothman was the one that made them sew the mouth of Deadpool in the first appearance. he is the reason a Deadpool movie was not greenlit for so many years

I found this online :rotfl

He's head of Sony now right? Good thing spiderman is partly with marvel now. What a ****ing moron.

Using Nicieza as reference is biased to say the least. Nicieza only co-created the character with Liefeld and their Deadpool was totally different to the Deadpool on this film. The Merc with a Mouth in New Mutants was a cheap knock off of Deathstroke. On the miniseries written by Nicieza afterwards, Deadpool was moody and in your face but never a jokester or insane. This movie version is supposed to follow Joe Kelly's run (which by the way is the best) but misses some of what made that version incredibly popular. Joe Kelly managed to push the boundaries of Deadpool without falling into the trap of direct profanity. It managed thematic elements without being vulgar. That was the brilliance of it.

The version of this movie although good, it goes the direct route. What proves a lack of vision and scripting abilities. It is always easier to throw boob flashing and *****es jokes to the immature crowd. Our morbid and sex obsessed modern society doesn't need much to get aroused. We find entertainment n the most stupid things.

At the end, this Deadpool is more in tone with the version of Daniel Way and other modern writers (with a little bit more saltiness). It is more pleasant to those that have never read a Deadpool comicbook in their lives (but claim to do so) and casual movie goers. Hey, money is made with so called "fans", am I right? Who can blame the studio for going this route? The movie was good for what it was, but not extraordinary.

Using Nicieza as reference is biased to say the least. Nicieza only co-created the character with Liefeld and their Deadpool was totally different to the Deadpool on this film. The Merc with a Mouth in New Mutants was a cheap knock off of Deathstroke. On the miniseries written by Nicieza afterwards, Deadpool was moody and in your face but never a jokester or insane. This movie version is supposed to follow Joe Kelly's run (which by the way is the best) but misses some of what made that version incredibly popular. Joe Kelly managed to push the boundaries of Deadpool without falling into the trap of direct profanity. It managed thematic elements without being vulgar. That was the brilliance of it.

The version of this movie although good, it goes the direct route. What proves a lack of vision and scripting abilities. It is always easier to throw boob flashing and *****es jokes to the immature crowd. Our morbid and sex obsessed modern society doesn't need much to get aroused. We find entertainment n the most stupid things.

At the end, this Deadpool is more in tone with the version of Daniel Way and other modern writers (with a little bit more saltiness). It is more pleasant to those that have never read a Deadpool comicbook in their lives (but claim to do so) and casual movie goers. Hey, money is made with so called "fans", am I right? Who can blame the studio for going this route? The movie was good for what it was, but not extraordinary.

Most here have already expressed their distaste for WayPool, mainly me and Gaspar. Movie-Pool doesn't have nearly the complexity of Kelly's, but that doesn't mean that all the sex jokes are out of character. Duggan, the current writer, writes him as a Pansexual, and it's been alluded many times that he is one. Or that he at least feels some certain attraction towards not only women. He's prone to cross-dressing, makes comments on the appearance of male characters, innuedos and so on and so forth. Gail Simone wrote him like that as well. Hell, even in Cable and Deadpool, Nicieza wrote him as Pansexual.

Personally, I don't get this "one writer's opinion doesn't matter". It's not just one person who wrote him for 5 issues. We're talking about people who've been writting his stories from 2000 and onwards. Nicieza wrote him like that in C&DP. Simone in Agent X. Duggan (and Pohsen) in the NOW! and current Vol(s). I've not seen Way come forth, but considering he was always cross-dressing there, I believe he wrote him as one as well. Kelly's run has some such panels, but I can't comment on his views. Sure, he's never been seen sleeping with another man, like say, Midnighter who's 100% gay, but that doesn't erase all the undertones. He's more prone towards women, but like JonCon, it doesn't erase the other part of his sexuality. Hell, take a look at how Midnighter compliments men on their appearance (or in other words, flirting) and how Wade does it. It's exactly the same.

Now, did I enjoy all the sex jokes? Eh, most were immature and I'd have preferred a deeper Deadpool. But that doesn't mean that they're not following a canon version of the character. Being sexually liberated is part of him. Hell, the guy married a Demon-Queen who can turn into a Bull-Monster. I think getting it on with dudes would be considered a notch down from that insanity. Plus, Shiklah has 3-somes with Vampires and Mummies (namely Jack Russel, the Werewolf By Night), so it's fair to assume that DP would partake in them.

And honestly, what's so bad with $ex? It's not like it's murder, it's an everyday occurence. Some find it funny, some don't. Some times it's used for a great effect, other times it's not. Pseudo-Intellectual BS like this "Our morbid and sex obsessed modern society [...]" is what I personally can't stand. $ex is all around you, get used to it. It's healthy and fun, and there's no reason to shame people because they enjoy it. Hell, they didn't even show any of the sex scenes in the trailers and spots. All they showed were some jokes and fight scenes, plus that one second of sex. It's not like they used Nicki Minaj to promote it. Yes, she is guilty of what you're describing, but not Deadpool. It merely featured some nudity and innuedos, that's all. It's part of its childish and immature humour.

And I also don't appreciate this "real fans" mentality. I don't like WayPool but I'm not gonna tell people that love it that they're "fakers". I'll recommend my preferred runs, sure, but this elitism is straight up f@cked up...

Most here have already expressed their distaste for WayPool, mainly me and Gaspar. Movie-Pool doesn't have nearly the complexity of Kelly's, but that doesn't mean that all the sex jokes are out of character. Duggan, the current writer, writes him as a Pansexual, and it's been alluded many times that he is one. Or that he at least feels some certain attraction towards not only women. He's prone to cross-dressing, makes comments on the appearance of male characters, innuedos and so on and so forth. Gail Simone wrote him like that as well. Hell, even in Cable and Deadpool, Nicieza wrote him as Pansexual.

Personally, I don't get this "one writer's opinion doesn't matter". It's not just one person who wrote him for 5 issues. We're talking about people who've been writting his stories from 2000 and onwards. Nicieza wrote him like that in C&DP. Simone in Agent X. Duggan (and Pohsen) in the NOW! and current Vol(s). I've not seen Way come forth, but considering he was always cross-dressing there, I believe he wrote him as one as well. Kelly's run has some such panels, but I can't comment on his views. Sure, he's never been seen sleeping with another man, like say, Midnighter who's 100% gay, but that doesn't erase all the undertones. He's more prone towards women, but like JonCon, it doesn't erase the other part of his sexuality. Hell, take a look at how Midnighter compliments men on their appearance (or in other words, flirting) and how Wade does it. It's exactly the same.

Now, did I enjoy all the sex jokes? Eh, most were immature and I'd have preferred a deeper Deadpool. But that doesn't mean that they're not following a canon version of the character. Being sexually liberated is part of him. Hell, the guy married a Demon-Queen who can turn into a Bull-Monster. I think getting it on with dudes would be considered a notch down from that insanity. Plus, Shiklah has 3-somes with Vampires and Mummies (namely Jack Russel, the Werewolf By Night), so it's fair to assume that DP would partake in them.

And honestly, what's so bad with $ex? It's not like it's murder, it's an everyday occurence. Some find it funny, some don't. Some times it's used for a great effect, other times it's not. Pseudo-Intellectual BS like this "Our morbid and sex obsessed modern society [...]" is what I personally can't stand. $ex is all around you, get used to it. It's healthy and fun, and there's no reason to shame people because they enjoy it. Hell, they didn't even show any of the sex scenes in the trailers and spots. All they showed were some jokes and fight scenes, plus that one second of sex. It's not like they used Nicki Minaj to promote it. Yes, she is guilty of what you're describing, but not Deadpool. It merely featured some nudity and innuedos, that's all. It's part of its childish and immature humour.

And I also don't appreciate this "real fans" mentality. I don't like WayPool but I'm not gonna tell people that love it that they're "fakers". I'll recommend my preferred runs, sure, but this elitism is straight up f@cked up...

We are morbid and sexually obsessed. There is no denying of that. I am sexual being like everyone else and don't feel embarrassed about it. It is a natural thing. The difference is that I know where to express my sexuality rather than trying to force it on someone else. That is the problem of today's society. We want to express our views, even to the point of finding parallelism where there is none. Yes, Nicieza mentioned that Deadpool was a pansexual but that is farther from the truth. He made the comment as a way to reinforce his position and views concerning homosexuality and gay rights. In other words, it was a political and social statement. Nothing more nothing less.

With that being said, there is clear difference between those that have followed the character for years and those that recently started to do it. That is not elitism, that is a better understanding of the historical background. To really comprehend the complexity of a character, you have to have a deeper knowledge of the facts. Anyone can be a fan. That doesn't mean that everyone can be a wise critic. For example; my 16 year old daughter loves the film and she considers herself a fan. But she has never read a Deadpool comic book in her life. I don't burst her bubble because we all have to start somewhere. But I don't consider her limited and impressionable knowledge a guide to understand Deadpool's story and persona. She is just part of the new wave of fans that have come to know the character in recent years.

Any chance of him sewing all the chicks mouths shut and then just have the surviving real ghost busters dubbed in?

We are morbid and sexually obsessed. There is no denying of that. I am sexual being like everyone else and don't feel embarrassed about it. It is a natural thing. The difference is that I know where to express my sexuality rather than trying to force it on someone else. That is the problem of today's society. We want to express our views, even to the point of finding parallelism where there is none. Yes, Nicieza mentioned that Deadpool was a pansexual but that is farther from the truth. He made the comment as a way to reinforce his position and views concerning homosexuality and gay rights. In other words, it was a political and social statement. Nothing more nothing less.

With that being said, there is clear difference between those that have followed the character for years and those that recently started to do it. That is not elitism, that is a better understanding of the historical background. To really comprehend the complexity of a character, you have to have a deeper knowledge of the facts. Anyone can be a fan. That doesn't mean that everyone can be a wise critic. For example; my 16 year old daughter loves the film and she considers herself a fan. But she has never read a Deadpool comic book in her life. I don't burst her bubble because we all have to start somewhere. But I don't consider her limited and impressionable knowledge a guide to understand Deadpool's story and persona. She is just part of the new wave of fans that have come to know the character in recent years.

Deadpool's sexuality was a hot topic for a while. Nicieza simply stated that he wrote him as Pansexual. Duggan and Simone followed suit. So, as far as I'm concerned, Deadpool's Pansexual. I don't need to see him getting out of bed with a naked man beside him, the undertones are enough for me. Even then, Movie-Pool is Pansexual as stated by Reynolds, so, yeah... As for the jokes, I didn't see anything wrong with them. They took a sexual character and added some sexual jokes. I didn't care for all of them, but they weren't out of character, because Deadpool isn't just Kelly's. It's Nicieza's, Simone's, Way's, Duggan's and Remender's. And most of them portray him as a sexualy liberated person, so, I don't see the problem.

On that I will agree. There are varying levels of being a fan, but not being as well versed as someone else doesn't exclude you or make you a faker. For a long time, due to not having LCS around me, the only Spider-Man books that I read were the Ultimate ones. Same goes for the rest of the Marvel U. I was an Ultimate fan long before I was a 616 one. Did that make me less of a fan? Less knowledgable at the time? Yeah, sure. But it didn't "take away my geek card". It's alright to admit that yes, some are "obsessed" than others, but everyone's a fan, regardless of how hardcore he or she is into that particular thing.

They should just introduce a new romantic interest and hire a trans woman, problem solved.

it was interesting to find out the reason it took this movie so long to make was because of Tom Rothman.

Tom Rothman was the one that made them sew the mouth of Deadpool in the first appearance. he is the reason a Deadpool movie was not greenlit for so many years

I found this online :rotfl

definitely seems like a egomaniac prick that needs to be knocked down a few notches.......If he is head of sony well then it will look good on them...

Yes, Nicieza mentioned that Deadpool was a pansexual but that is farther from the truth.
This is incorrect.

He made the comment as a way to reinforce his position and views concerning homosexuality and gay rights. In other words, it was a political and social statement. Nothing more nothing less.
This is also incorrect, in fact, he specifically said that he dodged the question for years precisely because of that, he said Deadpool likes everything and nothing on a given moment, not because of his sexuality, but because of his ****ed up brain, that he he's as inclusive as he is exclusive, which is a way of pandering to everyone and pandering to no one.

Agreed, but I have to say, denying the fact that deadpool is a clear sexual deviant is denying a more modern part of his history. If not like half of it.

It is as much as thinking of Deadpool only as Way wrote him.

2820_4af0.gif

Well, we have to see Nicieza's response in the context of the question. He was asked about Deadpool sexuality (something that has become the norm nowadays for almost every fictional character) and this was his reply last year through Twitter:

-"been dogged with the DP sexuality questions for YEARS. It is a bit tiring"

-"He is NO sex and ALL sexes. He is yours and everyone else’s. So not dismissive, but rather the epitome of inclusive."

-"DP brain cells are in CONSTANT FLUX. He can be gay one minute, hetero the next, etc. ALL ARE VALID."

"Funny how you don’t understand the character at all regardless of his (or your) perceived sexuality. It is why he is insane, why his memory is so flawed, and why he was able to survive the cancer in his system. It is why he can like something one minute and hate it the next. It has ALWAYS been a part of the character’s makeup. You’re arguing with the guy who introduced the omnisexual, pansexual, heterosexual, homosexual, etc. aspects of the character!"

In other words, he said that the Character is what you want him to be. He was just attacking the straw man. He gave a generic answer that everybody could accept, or at least in theory. Truthfully, he is not completely wrong. As human beings, we have the tendency of projecting our values, our beliefs, our ideals and ourselves on the fictional characters we love the most. It is part of our nature.

With that being said, unintentionally he offended both opposite sides. Those in favor and those against the idea. His response came across as if homosexuality was directly linked to Wade's brain malfunction. Some people took it as if Nicieza was implying than being gay (at least for a time) was part of a handicap. I doubt that he meant that, but that's how it was perceived by some.

With that being said, unintentionally he offended both opposite sides. Those in favor and those against the idea. His response came across as if homosexuality was directly linked to Wade's brain malfunction. Some people took it as if Nicieza was implying than being gay (at least for a time) was part of a handicap. I doubt that he meant that, but that's how it was perceived by some.
Well it does have to do with your brain :lol the way you're wired or whatever, so I took it as his brain cells being renewed constantly, beacuse of his healing factor, hence his "wiring" can change, not as malfunction.

But people will take it as offensive, as usual.

Back