DCD Spirit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhhh, no, they're not *ALL* crappy, that's just *YOUR* opinion. I'll admit the Spirit was a letdown, but the majority of DCD's comic-based superhero line are above-average IMO (Captain Marvel, Aquaman, Green Arrow, both Batmans in particular). Yeah, the cut joints are bad, the wrist articulation in particular is pathetic, but the sculpts and costuming is mostly excellent. I will admit that NONE of the movie-based figures have wowed me, so I have concerns about Watchmen.

Yeah, it is my opinion, never claimed it wasn't, no need to get snarky... though you nailed many of my gripes with their products, enough that they would never be worth owning to me. Those ugly cut joints are enough, alone. I don't waste money on items that I can find so many defects/design flaws on. You left out the things that bug me the most, though- the weird proportion issues with their bodies/heads, bodies/hands, bodies/feet. So many of those figures just look awkward. DCD also doesn't have good quality control. Super-average paint ops, hamfisted, awkward looking costume tailoring. I have seen most of their figures in person pretty much, and there is not one I could accept owning and be happy with, as much as I *love love love* the hell out of DC Comics characters. In some way it just kills me these things exist, but have too many flaws for me to be even just content with them. Above all that, it's so insane the 13 inch scale they chose- I could see making the powerhouses like Superman 12.5 inches, but everyone at 13 inches makes a race of giants that look as out of place in most 1:6 collections as the dinky 11 inch Medicoms do, they just went in the other direction. In a way, I guess I'm glad I don't care for their product, it would cost a fortune to buy it all. I don't buy halfass figures, I just cannot make myself do it.

I saw this at a local shop the other day... in the package it really looked laughable. Glad to hear its better once out. But comparing it to what HT is coming out with is almost a painful comparison.

I really hope HT is able to make all of the DC character.

I saw this at a local shop the other day... in the package it really looked laughable. Glad to hear its better once out. But comparing it to what HT is coming out with is almost a painful comparison.

I really hope HT is able to make all of the DC character.

Me too. I'd just kill for a Christopher Reeve Superman, espescially.

I too hope Hot Toys can start making comic figures from DC (and Marvel). The movie figures will do for Marvel, but besides Batman and Superman there really hasn't been any DC movies to make a bunch of figures from.

Still praying Hot Toys does Watchmen!

I too hope Hot Toys can start making comic figures from DC (and Marvel). The movie figures will do for Marvel, but besides Batman and Superman there really hasn't been any DC movies to make a bunch of figures from.

Still praying Hot Toys does Watchmen!

Amen, bro! Could you imagine a HT Silk Spectre or Rorschach? That would be amazing. I would rather have no Watchmen than DC Direct Watchmen.

Yeah, it is my opinion, never claimed it wasn't, no need to get snarky... though you nailed many of my gripes with their products, enough that they would never be worth owning to me. Those ugly cut joints are enough, alone. I don't waste money on items that I can find so many defects/design flaws on. You left out the things that bug me the most, though- the weird proportion issues with their bodies/heads, bodies/hands, bodies/feet. So many of those figures just look awkward. DCD also doesn't have good quality control. Super-average paint ops, hamfisted, awkward looking costume tailoring. I have seen most of their figures in person pretty much, and there is not one I could accept owning and be happy with, as much as I *love love love* the hell out of DC Comics characters. In some way it just kills me these things exist, but have too many flaws for me to be even just content with them. Above all that, it's so insane the 13 inch scale they chose- I could see making the powerhouses like Superman 12.5 inches, but everyone at 13 inches makes a race of giants that look as out of place in most 1:6 collections as the dinky 11 inch Medicoms do, they just went in the other direction. In a way, I guess I'm glad I don't care for their product, it would cost a fortune to buy it all. I don't buy halfass figures, I just cannot make myself do it.

Fair enough; I guess I don't expect as much, since I grew up with Mego's World's Greatest Superheroes line in the 70's. Compared to those figures, DCD's are exceptional, though, again, at the price point they should be. As I've said before, at $40-60 (discounted), I could overlook some flaws, but as they approach $100-UP, I'm beginning to nitpick as well.
The body size doesn't bother me, since I have no desire to display them with any other "true" 1/6-scale figures. If a comparable line for Marvel ever materializes, and are out-of-scale with DCD, that will irritate me no end.
If I came off as snarky, I'll apologize; I felt your previous post was a bit "snarky" as well, though that may not have been your intention.:monkey3

Fair enough; I guess I don't expect as much, since I grew up with Mego's World's Greatest Superheroes line in the 70's. Compared to those figures, DCD's are exceptional, though, again, at the price point they should be. As I've said before, at $40-60 (discounted), I could overlook some flaws, but as they approach $100-UP, I'm beginning to nitpick as well.
The body size doesn't bother me, since I have no desire to display them with any other "true" 1/6-scale figures. If a comparable line for Marvel ever materializes, and are out-of-scale with DCD, that will irritate me no end.
If I came off as snarky, I'll apologize; I felt your previous post was a bit "snarky" as well, though that may not have been your intention.:monkey3

Yeah, it definitely wasn't my intention, though I suppose it's very possible my strong opinions come off as such, being unseen on the internet and all. :google
When a figure irritates me, it just really irritates me, espescially when I want to like it. DCD's are right there, pushing just the right buttons on me, because I so want to like and want them, but just can't because there are just too many flaws for me to accept. I almost never agree with the scores on toy review sites, I think they are far undercritical, and it makes them look less than objective, or at the least, not very discerning. I was looking at DCD pictures after I first got into this discussion, and I would say 95% of them have too-small heads. That right there would drive me nuts.
I suppose I do collect differently than some people, I do want all of my 1:6 figures to be able to have a compatibility and display well together. I guess my 1:6 figures are "all one universe" in my mind. That may actually be the fault of Megos, where Spider-Man fit in with Superman, Cornelius, Scotty, and Action Jackson. I grew up on Megos, too- had tons of 'em (I'm 41) I have some of the new Star Trek repros. For some reason, they don't get quite the scrutiny from me that the 1:6 stuff gets- I guess it's because it's a nostalgia item, though I am impressed that the Trek repro quality seems better than the original Mego quality. 1:6 gets more scrutiny from me because I see them as works of art, not just cool toys. I'd have no problem giving a DCD 13 incher to a kid over say, 5 to play with. It just doesn't meet my standards as a display piece. I guess I don't look at the price issue either- unacceptable is unacceptable to me even if it's cheaper than the figures I consider "the good stuff", the price doesn't enter into it when I decide if I want it in my collection. I judge totally from an artistic and aesthetic viewpoint. A $10 super clearance priced DCD Harley Quinn is still this misproportioned giantess that would not mesh well with my other figures. I have some Sideshow and mostly Hot Toys figures- they seem roughly the same size, so I consider that my "standard". I just see this as a horrible misstep on DCD's part- if Harley was the right size to go with my other figures, I would buy one. DCD hurt themselves by being nonconformist on size.
I've always been this way to some extent- I can remember not being 100% happy with some of the Megos way back when due to corner cutting- I did notice things like costume details just being printed on a bodysuit, things like Shazam's wrong cape color, no black lines on Spidey's head or hands, etc. The ones that impressed me best were the ones with more detail where they tried a little harder- The Lizard, Green Arrow, etc. Guess I've always been that way, just I'm more severe about it now.
It's funny, I go years on SS Freaks posting 1 or 2 messages a year, all of the sudden you guys really have me talking. I guess there's just so much interesting stuff coming out now. I just typed a book! :lol

Back